AAA partial reimbursement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been a AAA gold member plus rv coverage since I was 16. Never had to use it aside from a few lockouts a long long time ago. Makes me wonder what my membership is worth nowadays.

I have had CoachNet for the entire 12 years I have been on the road, and with one very minor issue, they have done an excellent job changing tires and towing me when needed. (They have also sent mobile mechanics and mobile RV repair people for things like a stuck slide that made my vehicle undrivable.) The important thing is that they have a large body of the tow companies that can handle larger vehicles because that is what they specialize in. It may take a while to get someone out to you, but at least you know that they have a better chance of sending people with the right equipment and knowledge. And they keep in communication with you as you are waiting. They once got permission to tow me to a Lowes parking lot and checked to make sure it had security because it was Father's Day Sunday late afternoon and no truck places were available. They sent a second truck to pick me up the next morning and kept checking that I was safe while waiting.

Also, they almost always make sure they are not just dumping you off somewhere. They make sure where they are sending you can fix the problem, preferably start work on your vehicle immediately, and has parts. And finally, I have used them for technical advice and to get help finding an appropriate service place, like the time I had trouble getting my vehicle started, but was driving around Phoenix trying to find someone who could sell and install a new battery. Was afraid to turn engine off, so called CoachNet, and they made an immediate appointment with someone who had a battery and could put it in right away. That is important when you are full time and living in your rig!!!!
Thanks for that Judy.

Been a member of AAA for 40 years. After we bought our first RV we upgraded to their best plan. One tow up to 200 miles. Additional tows would be limited to 100 miles. Of course the mileage is a maximum and in reality they will only pay for a tow to the nearest repair facility.

That all changed a few years back when they switched to a fixed dollar amount. It's a relatively anemic amount so we switched to Good Sam. I'd drop AAA but the wife likes to renew the vehicle registrations at one of their local offices and she loves free maps. Those free maps cost about $200 a year. lol.

I never heard anything about that. Or is that just for when they do the reimbursement thing?

-Don- Auburn, CA

This from the AAA website.

Premier®: Towed without charge to the destination of their choice up to 200 driving miles for 1 service call per household per membership year and up to 100 driving miles for the remaining service calls.2

Members are responsible for all costs of service above the stated mileage limits. RV and motorcycle towing benefits are subject to dollar limits, instead of mileage limits. See “RV/Motorcycle Roadside Assistance” below for details.

RV/Motorcycle Roadside Assistance

Option provides up to 4 extra service calls per membership year just for RV/motorcycle tows, extrication and winching and RV tire changes. Up to $500 per RV/motorcycle service call; $1,000 max. per household per membership year.

On the day I had a flat tire, and then a dead battery from leaving my blinkers on, CoachNet sent a guy to change the tire. Not sure of the cost, but I saw the bill for the second tow to Lowes and it was $500. I am guessing that the tow the next day from Lowes to the truck place was also $500, so that was about $1,300 for one incident.

Normally, they would only pay for one tow per incident, but in this case, they could not find a place to tow me to that could fix my battery problem because of it being Father's Day Sunday.

If they send a mobile mechanic or rv technician, they pay for the visit, but you pay for the time needed to fix the problem. No charge for phone advice.

Sometimes they are good, sometimes not. But I hear the same from them all, including Coach-net.

It probably mainly depends on where and when you break down.

But AAA towed my Class C 121 miles here and all was fine. With the motorcycle still on the hitch.

-Don- Reno, NV
But you were in an area that offers RV coverage. Try the same thing in areas that do not offer the coverage and the results will probably be as bad as the OP got. Remember AAA is 34 different entities. Hard to be consistent with that many variables.

But you were in an area that offers RV coverage. Try the same thing in areas that do not offer the coverage and the results will probably be as bad as the OP got. Remember AAA is 34 different entities. Hard to be consistent with that many variables.
True, a lot of it depends on luck of where and when you break down. BTW, when I called AAA for a tow, I told them it was a "one ton van", which is true. I never mentioned it was an RV. But I don't know if that made any difference. But they towed my Class C all the way back here, which was more than 100 miles.

Anyway, I now have Coach-Net. I joined them a couple of days ago online. But I think that will only cover my Class A. They don't allow more than one RV for their $250.00 the last I heard, when I called them a few years ago.

I don't know what will happen if I call them for my Class C. They do ask for the Vin number of the motorhome, where I used the Vin of my Class A.

BTW, doesn't CN cover all other vehicles, except for other RVs, as part of the deal?

Say when I go up to the Redwoods next week and ride my electric motorcycle for fifty miles--and then my drive belt breaks--would they tow it back to the RV Park?

I probably won't be able to use them anyway, unless they have an email--and AFAIK, only AAA tow has a website to request a tow, but I don't think they have an email--which a website will do me no good on my InReach. If they have an email, I can use my inReach. No cell service in most of that area. But I can still use the tow service on my Spot Messenger.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom