Ac replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just replaced my A/C, a Dometic Penguin (2007/8 vintage) and it had broken a refrigerant line that connected to the condenser. It is not ducted however. Given that the Penguin sounds as loud as a jet engine running, and uses R22 which is restricted and very expensive, it basically is scrap. It doesn't make sense to put several hundred dollars into an A/C unit that can be replaced for about the same money. Rec Pro handles the Houghton units and they do make 15K btu ducted units but they are much more expensive.

I replaced it with a Houghton as they are much quieter and in my case, a shorter, smaller, lighter unit.

I briefly looked at the Advent line of units but was pretty settled on the Houghton.

Etrailer carries the full line of Advent units and some replace certain models of other brands making use of the original interior intake and controls, so I would talk with an expert at Etrailer about the exact unit you have and which one would best replace it with the least hassles.

One option may be to install a simple two wire thermostat on the furnace and a separate thermostat on the A/C, In some cases you may be able to make the two talk to each other. A thermostat that controls has wiring running to the roof unit, and then to the furnace. Lots of discussion about this on the Escape forum as they were wired with one thermostat controlling both.

Charles

Attachments

• Houghton Air 00 Dometic refrigerant line from condenser broke.jpg
    Houghton Air 00 Dometic refrigerant line from condenser broke.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1
My Coleman had two run capacitors and a separate start capacitor. I replaced all three because I didn't want to be in 110F with only one AC unit. Still cheap.

In my case it was obvious which one burned but that's not always true. The other two cans were slightly scorched.

I have actually already replaced the capacitor, that was the first thing I went to. Also, I apologize it's the compressor that doesn't ever kick on. Just blows air. My brain is all over the place between working 12-16 hour shifts, packing to move and fixing my camper. So much going on with so little time!

The compressor is a component of the condensing unit.

If the compressor is not turning on, there is a reason for the failure. It is always helpful to get that question answered however, maybe you have decided just to replace it and be done with it. Sometimes it is a better approach than to have a qualified tech spending your money to tell you that it is no good and why but, I can also say that if the compressor is not internally damaged and the system is still holding the specified amount of refrigerant, it would most likely be much easier and worth it to fix what you have. Those two clues require a good trained air conditioning tech to answer and is usually done prior to installing any new parts.

Air conditioners look heavy but most weight in at less than 100 pounds (90 is common)

I used to go up a ladder with up to 3 60 pound bundles of shingles at one time (180 pounds)
I don't recommend that.. but I did it.

Last A/C replacement on mine they had two people one on the roof and one pushing it up the ladder.. That worked very well.

Yea, the one thing you could try if you are so inclined is a Hot Shot kit. It's nothing more than a large capacitor that hooks parallel to the start cap and gives it a kick in the as*. The down side is if it doesn't work then you have a spare Hot Shot kit and a new AC unit. I've always been surprised at the success rate I had with Hot Shots. If it works you just leave it on there. They are about 20 bucks.

Air conditioners look heavy but most weight in at less than 100 pounds (90 is common)

I used to go up a ladder with up to 3 60 pound bundles of shingles at one time (180 pounds)
I don't recommend that.. but I did it.

Last A/C replacement on mine they had two people one on the roof and one pushing it up the ladder.. That worked very well.
The one I replaced was 100 pounds. That's an awkward amount of weight to get 14' in the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggary1313
Back
Top Bottom