Air Compressor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelad06

Hi everyone. I am playing with my 94 Tioga and found a compressor in the rear storage. There are 2 hoses that run from the compressor up the left side to a solenoid next to the generator. That solenoid also has a steel line that goes up towards the ABS unit, but I couldn't get under it to chase it all the way. Anyone have any idea's what this could be? There are no bags or levelers under there, but could have been removed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aux braking system... Forget it's name just now but there was an Aux Brake system that fit on the master solenoid on your towed.. Powered by the Air Brakes on a class A (if it had air brakes) or an air compressor on the A if the A hand Hydraulic brakes as yours it appears does.

Likely what John suggests. Some older toad (auxiliary) braking systems utilized a compressor installed on the coach to provide air pressure to the ax brake cylinder on the towed car. There were a couple such systems that were designed to work with coaches that had either air or hydraulic brakes; the compressor provided air for the hydraulic brake coaches (i.e. the gas chassis rigs that lacked air brakes).

There are a few systems available today that use an auxiliary compressor if the coach doesn't have its own air system. The Roadmaster Brakemaster #9060 is one such.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have attached a pic of the compressor. I found the connection off of the rear bumper to connect to the tow vehicle. So I should be able to pull this unit out with no issues, right? I don't want to mess with the brakes, so I will leave the solenoid alone along with the brake line. But I would like to get rid of the rest.

Attachments

• Comp..jpg
    Comp..jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 9
Leave it in place in case you ever get a towed that uses it. Pull the wire (positive) off it and insulate or if it's a common connector add a piece of "plastic" wire (Just the insulation from a piece of wire no wire inside.) (3-D Filament (PETG is good) othere insulating material) That way the wire does not get lost. but insulating and tying it off works well too.

Thanks for the advice. It's not going to hurt to leave it there. Maybe try and see if it even works.

Might come in handy for blowing up swimming pool floaties or bicycle tires. There's always a need for an air compressor when camping!

I carry a Craftsman Pancake type portable air compressor with the camper all the time. Once campground kids find out I have an air compressor, I'm the "hit" of the party. They'll come by and want their bicycle tires blown up. I'll gladly help them out!

It may be of limited value since it is designed as part of a specific toad aux brake unit. Likely some pre-determined psi required by that brake, maybe too much for some things and not enough for others. Might be able to add a regulator to it to make it more general purpose?

It may be of limited value since it is designed as part of a specific toad aux brake unit. Likely some pre-determined psi required by that brake, maybe too much for some things and not enough for others. Might be able to add a regulator to it to make it more general purpose?
I suspected as much. I just bought a cheap bullet compressor at WM and mounted it in a basement compartment. I can run it from a portable inverter off the house batteries or from an AC outlet. It's handy for airbags, tires and winterizing.

Back
Top Bottom