Alternator Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenie

Looking for references please

We have 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador (36PBS)
with a Cummins ISB300 engine (46001083)

We are looking to replace and hopefully upgrade the
alternator ( 11012332 )
IMG_0401.jpegbecause it appears to be the original and don't want to be stranded AND secondly we have a bank of lithium batteries that we would like to charge more expeditiously while running the engine 💪🏼

DEADS ENDS:
- Veurinks RV Center in Grand Rapids,MI

- Cummins

- Rev RV (formally Monaco)

- Amazon

Any suggestions, referrals, or even a new alternator or upgrade ideas would be greatly appreciated. We also believe in miracles so if a new higher output alternator fell out of the sky and magically installed itself, that would be great too! 🤓

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 2
Some considerations, the type of regulation for the alternator (external, internal, computer controlled-not likely), amperage of installed unit.

A very low lithium bank can easily overload even a big alternator. You are much better off to have a 50 or 60 amp battery to battery charger, which will keep the alternator from being overloaded, and account for differences in the voltages of your lead acid chassis batteries and lithium coach batteries.

Upsizing the alternator is not as easy as simply dropping something in. The output cable will have to be upgraded to handle the amperage, plus fuse or circuit breaker to protect the wire and alternator.

That is a Leece-Neville (Prestolite) alternator by the way.

I'd pull the alternator and take it to a good auto electric rebuilder and have them tear it down and clean it (it looks like it has a lot of crud in it which would make it heat up) and have new bearings and brushes installed plus the slip ring either turned down or polished.

Charles

Last edited:
PTL-A0012800LC_-2.jpg
Leece Neville alternator.jpg

I'm not finding your 11012332 number on the internet. Carefully clean the data tag and see if you can find the Prestolite part number as shown on the example on the left. The amperage is also on the tag. (click on the new alternator to enlarge and read the tag.) the ribbed plate attached with screws is the regulator, ignore it.

I'm willing to bet your alternator is of sufficient capacity now. Get it overhauled and put a new serpentine belt (Gates Fleet Runner is good) and a new tensioner (Litens with a metal pulley is very good, or OEM Cummins)

Edit:
Richardson Generator and Starter
501 Industrial Dr
Ste 101
Richardson, TX 75081
(972) 234-8138

Might be a good place to start, as they have good Yelp reviews and are not far from you in the Dallas metroplex.

Last edited:
Some considerations, the type of regulation for the alternator (external, internal, computer controlled-not likely), amperage of installed unit.

A very low lithium bank can easily overload even a big alternator. You are much better off to have a 50 or 60 amp battery to battery charger, which will keep the alternator from being overloaded, and account for differences in the voltages of your lead acid chassis batteries and lithium coach batteries.

Upsizing the alternator is not as easy as simply dropping something in. The output cable will have to be upgraded to handle the amperage, plus fuse or circuit breaker to protect the wire and alternator.

That is a Leece-Neville (Prestolite) alternator by the way.

I'd pull the alternator and take it to a good auto electric rebuilder and have them tear it down and clean it (it looks like it has a lot of crud in it which would make it heat up) and have new bearings and brushes installed plus the slip ring either turned down or polished.

Charles
Thank you Charles, we have considered the rebuild idea however it's tricky because I am living aboard so....
The bank of batteries is apart of a solar system with a massive inverter and all kinds of breakers, fuses and goodies in between.
I think your comments about protection and overages are spot on.
The goal is to clean this old beast up and make sure it's as close to 100% reliable as we can get it.

I suppose if you know any good rebuilders I would happily accept a referral.
Perhaps we can coordinate a local install and rebuild at the right place!

If you have solar you really don't need to do anything but rebuild or replace the alternator. The solar will generally keep the batteries charged enough that the alternator will not be overloaded, even if you have a few dull days.

If you don't have the capability, it may be worth having a mobile truck mechanic do the work where you sit, but you need the alternator numbers to get the right part. I agree, reliability is the top priority. That is why I have spent the money I have on my RAM truck, new hoses, belt, tensioner, alternator rebuild, new brakes including the hoses, frequent fluid changes, everything.

Charles

If you have solar you really don't need to do anything but rebuild or replace the alternator. The solar will generally keep the batteries charged enough that the alternator will not be overloaded, even if you have a few dull days.

If you don't have the capability, it may be worth having a mobile truck mechanic do the work where you sit, but you need the alternator numbers to get the right part. I agree, reliability is the top priority. That is why I have spent the money I have on my RAM truck, new hoses, belt, tensioner, alternator rebuild, new brakes including the hoses, frequent fluid changes, everything.

Charles
Awesome! Sounds like we are on the same page! Will look for someone to help rebuild.
I was going to have the Cummins shop in Bloomington, IL pull the alternator off but maybe I can find a smaller and local shop someplace else.
Looking in Illinois, Texas, Alabama, South Carolina and Florida... all places I can stop

:)

I've used a local auto electric shop for years. He could not find anyone to learn the trade and buy the shop, so he shut it down to retire.

Now I have to drive and hour away to another shop. Again, its a one man rebuilder. He says 90% of his work is fleet stuff. County equipment maintenance garage, small fleet operators in the area. He has done two alternators for me. I took the Denso off my Vibe to him, and upon returning, I discovered the radiator in my RAM was leaking so that turned into a project during which I took the alternator to the same shop. Its a Bosch on the RAM and he told me it was a tricky design to replace the bearings on without damaging the shaft.

Small shops are few and far between now, but I'd rather have my original alternator rebuilt vs someone else's junk that a foreign rebuilder overhauled with cheap parts.

From the look of your engine compartment, I suspect you need to consider getting the radiator fins cleaned too. Rear radiator pushers are supposedly bad about getting lots of dust and dirt in the radiator.

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom