Any good 1.5 DIN replacement radios out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Think I'm about ready to ditch XM radio and go to Pandora or Slacker radio for music on the road from my smartphone (it has a grandfathered unlimited data plan  :D.)  I want a replacement radio with Bluetooth capability so we don't have to do wires.

Problem is that Winnie uses an odd size 1.5 DIN radio instead of the more common 1 or 2 DIN size.  I always use a 1 DIN radio and make a mounting plate but it would be so much easier to just use a 1.5 DIN.

Thanks John.  The more I research, 1.5 DIN radios are scarcer than an honest politician.  I might try to make a 2 DIN radio work, I'll have to look into that.

found one on Best Buys web site by googling 1.5 din. Sonic electronix has some of the best prices on double din. That's where I have gotten my last three. They also have a single din that has a faceplate of a double din and its touchscreen also.

I completely rearranged my dash on that side so I could replace our single with a touchscreen that also could be used for a side camera.

I was just looking in to doing the same. This past Monday I spend some time with an employee of Best Buy in the automotive department but could only come up with 1 and 2 din chassis even after him researching the web.

I had resigned my self to the fact that I would need to modify the dash and try to install a 2 din chassis which certainly would open up my choice of radios.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/absolute-usa-car-dvd-player-4-8-touchscreen-lcd-1-1-2-din/1307356241.p?id=mp1307356241&skuId=1307356241

Here's how my dash finally looked like. Took the B&W screen out and put it on the upper cabinet in the center of the windshield. Installed a touch screen in the hole where the monitor was and moved the CB to the hole where the old radio was located.

Sorry I didn't read the description before it posted it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140711_134554016 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20140711_134554016 (Medium).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 81
Ah Harry - great minds think alike  :D.  I found a Magnadyne replacement that will apparently fit the 1.5 DIN opening with a touchscreen that extends below the opening, but after doing some research on their new models, don't think I'm interested.

I think the advantage of a 2 DIN radio would be the ergonomics - us old guys can see the controls.

Edit - Will - good find!

Like thae Magnadyne unit.  It's a little pricey but with all it gives (seven weather bands) Left and right camera inputs with turn signal switch activation
Rear camera and audio inputs. Reverse gear activation
Manual control front camera input,

That's one heck of a unit

Will,

I looked at the Absolute USA radio at Best Buy but it is lacking the Bluetooth interface, which is one of the key issues I want to address.

Like John said I am also thinking that the ergonomics of the 2 din radio would be beneficial for my eyes

I think the Magnadyne was designed to be a multipurpose unit for RVs - Forest River uses them for the primary DVD player.  Yup - have to have Bluetooth in the replacement.  I won't be able to start on this until we get to Montrose early next month, we'll be there for a few weeks.

I replaced my old Magnadyne radio with their new version M4-LCD (simple plug and play), got it on EBay and also purchased the Sirius receiver for less than $225, not bad; I wouldn't do it again though.  Although it has a nice display, Bluetooth and GPS it ended up in a poor position.  The camera monitor is in the top position and the Magnadyne is below it, making it difficult to manipulate in traffic.  I would reinstall the old radio but the new one required cutting a bigger hole in the plastic, 1 1/2 bin.  If the camera monitor ever goes south on me I'll figure out a way to install the radio/GPS high on the dash and a new color camera below it.  Until then I prefer to use my old standard 7" portable GPS, and use the radio simply as a radio, which is good.

Thanks for the feedback about the M4.  If it could be positioned where my Sony backup cam monitor is, that cam ability would probably be useful.  However I don't need all of the features in the M4, really I just need a good Bluetooth radio head for streaming Pandora and Slacker that I can easily see and operate.

John Canfield said:
Thanks for the feedback about the M4.  If it could be positioned where my Sony backup cam monitor is, that cam ability would probably be useful.  However I don't need all of the features in the M4, really I just need a good Bluetooth radio head for streaming Pandora and Slacker that I can easily see and operate.

John, where are you going to put you Sony backup monitor or are you not going to use it? I had just enough cable to move it to the underside of the overhead cabinet and able to run the wires in the molding between the windshields. I prefer it up there as opposed to it previous location in the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_20140711_134225794_HDR (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20140711_134225794_HDR (Medium).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 30
Will - our dash layout is perfect, Winnie designers did a great job of placing everything including the the Sony backup cam monitor - it stays there, the Sony cam and monitor are working great.  The radio is under the Sony monitor and I hope to make that opening a 2 DIN.

John, I installed the Pioneer-FH-X700BT 2-din with Bluetooth just 3 months ago.  Love the Bluetooth and comes with a external mic w/clip for hands free  phone calls.  Works very well for phone calls in noisy road conditions.  Never have to mess with controls, it pairs up automatically when I fire up the coach. 

Before I purchased, I looked at the existing cavity and decided no problem opening it up to 2-din height.  But when I pushed in the new Pioneer I discovered it's 1" deeper than the Magadyne.  There's quite of bit of metal work in the back to get it in flush.

Crutchfield has it for $149:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3c9VglyExZ0/p_130X700BT/Pioneer-FH-X700BT.html

Back
Top Bottom