Anyone prudently assess load capacity of this trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Manuels-Trailer.jpg
You will notice, one axle, U-beams (not rectangular beams), I can provide measurements if important. I assume it was for a boat before?
What range of load capacity do you all assess this thing might have? Range makes more sense to me than one ballpark figure 😁

Alternatively, how do YOU assess load capacity if a trailer has no markings? What do the experienced of you look out for? 🤔

View attachment 175717
You will notice, one axle, U-beams (not rectangular beams), I can provide measurements if important. I assume it was for a boat before?
What range of load capacity do you all assess this thing might have? Range makes more sense to me than one ballpark figure 😁

Alternatively, how do YOU assess load capacity if a trailer has no markings? What do the experienced of you look out for? 🤔
There may be a plate or stamped data on the axle. You may have to clean it up to find.

Ok thx Onyrlef, I will crawl under it tomorrow morning IF it's not pissing 😱
----
"What are you planning to use it for?"
The trailer owner insists it can carry my tiny house (don't think of real house, think of shack, with full feature interior though 😁) I had always transported it on a truck (real truck, not car!) but that's frail/old, and the benefit of a trailer (if suitable!) is it can be lower on the ground (without taking it off), safer in storms (Milton & Helene), and can be reoriented with the seasons,...). So, I guess, on a trailer, would have quite a few pros, no?
I don't have to pay for the trailer. But I will pay dearly if the trailer breaks apart!!!!

I would never go by "the dimensions of the frame", no.
I would go by thickness of the steel, and quality of the axle.
Is okay?
Thx for the link, as said, it's a foreign no name trailer, not a "brand" as eTrailer of course assume.
But after work I will read through all comments if anything helps. Cheers. I also aim to crawl underneath when the sun is up (IF).

I found out about that when building the last house i lived in. The architect specified a certain type and dimension of steel beam. When i talked to the steel manufacturer they recommended a different beam that was stronger and larger than the engineers specs. I was able to eliminate posts in a 3 1/2 car garage and the steel beams were less expensive

There may be a plate or stamped data on the axle. You may have to clean it up to find.
Ok thx Onyrlef, I will crawl under it tomorrow morning IF it's not pissing 😱
----
"What are you planning to use it for?"
The trailer owner insists it can carry my tiny house (don't think of real house, think of shack, with full feature interior though 😁) I had always transported it on a truck (real truck, not car!) but that's frail/old, and the benefit of a trailer (if suitable!) is it can be lower on the ground (without taking it off), safer in storms (Milton & Helene), and can be reoriented with the seasons,...). So, I guess, on a trailer, would have quite a few pros, no?
I don't have to pay for the trailer. But I will pay dearly if the trailer breaks apart!!!!
Take a wire brush or wheel with you (and eye protection) when you look at the axle. For some reason, the plates are usually on the bottom side.

When i talked to the steel manufacturer they recommended a different beam that was stronger and larger than the engineers specs
Hmm, I was going to say "because it makes them more money" 😁
But seeing you got it cheaper, maybe they sold you B grade?

Anyway, I know that steel comes in different grades, I didn't visit Earth yday 😁 but it's NOT sth I could visibily assess, but thickness I can.
There's so much about theory, and so much about practicality. I go with the first when I can, and with the latter when I can't.

"upgrade the frame." Yes! That's what I plan to do IF you with me (and Wisdom too, chatgpt) determine that it's insufficient. BUT: just reinforcing the steel is insufficient still: I'd need to be confident that the axle can handle the weight also. I am not. 😁
The guy insisting "it will work!!!" is s.o. who always "knows everything best". I am the studied guy, overly cautious.

What is that circled in red? It doesn't appear to be the axle as it is offset in front of the tires and it doesn't look like the tire on this side is attached to it. It kind of looks like the wheels might each have their own spindles attached directly to the frame. I also don't see any springs.

Edit: Never mind, I see it's a torsion axle.

Attachments

• Manuels-Trailer.jpg
    Manuels-Trailer.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom