Anyone thinking of getting a new knee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stripit

Just got my second knee replaced 3 weeks ago with a new procedure called the Jiffy Knee. Last one was 5 years ago and this time has been night and day different, much less pain, medications and overall discomfort. Anyone thinking of getting a knee might want to check it out.

Wish I'd known about that. Video here.

I thought of having a partial knee replacement, but the Doc explained I'd eventually need a full replacement anyway. So I went with the full last July, and I still can't get good range of motion. Swelling, pain, stiffness, and numbness all at the same time. I had two 6-week sessions of therapy, and have since been doing the same therapy at home daily.

I don't like popping pills, but occasionally have to take Tylenol and head to bed. Doc prescribed Oxycondone every 6-8 hours, but I'm terrified of getting hooked. So I take 1 or 2 a month.

Wish I'd known about that. Video here.

I thought of having a partial knee replacement, but the Doc explained I'd eventually need a full replacement anyway. So I went with the full last July, and I still can't get good range of motion. Swelling, pain, stiffness, and numbness all at the same time. I had two 6-week sessions of therapy, and have since been doing the same therapy at home daily.

I don't like popping pills, but occasionally have to take Tylenol and head to bed. Doc prescribed Oxycondone every 6-8 hours, but I'm terrified of getting hooked. So I take 1 or 2 a month.
Oxycodone is exponentially more addictive than heroin, the pharmaceutical rep's pushing it privately referred to it as "hillbilly heroin".

Reactions: Tom
I climbed Telephone poles for 35 years, yep my knees are compromised to say the least. I wear braces to control the pain. Many have asked me "Why don't you get them replaced?" As long as I can tolerate it by wearing the braces I choose to wear the braces is my answer.

Yes the right one is bone to bone medial.

Ain't no way I'm going down the hole of narcotics to control pain, figure I survived enough of that kinda stuff as a young man.

Kevin got his done 1 1/2 years ago, a full knee replacement. He was walking without a cane at a week, and has full ROM. Doc said he was a model patient, and credited it to PT before surgery (strong quad), not waiting too long, and being a candidate for PT patient of the year. And let’s face it, he also just got lucky. Surgeon skill is a significant part of the equation too. About the only thing he has real difficulty with is kneeling, and that is to be expected. Oddly enough my knee is in worst shape as indicated by X-ray, but I don’t have pain so we just leave it. Doc said pain is the real determining factor on when to get a replacement.

Funny this post just came up. My DW (Dear Wife) just saw her orthopedic surgeon this past Thursday. Last October, he had to repair her right knee for a torn maniscus. He did the repair and after he said it wouldn’t be long before she would need to have her knees replaced. Well she’s been having real bad pain on her other knee. X-rays show bone on bone. We are thinking that she was favoring that knee while recuperating from the repair on the knee that had the meniscus repair.
Her Doc does 200 to 270 total knee replacements every year. As of February of 2019, he has done over 500 Conformis total knee cases, a number that makes him among the most experienced Conformis surgeons in the world. He frequently hosts surgeons from around the US and the world who come to learn details of the Conformis total knee technique. They do a CT scan and sends the pictures to the company Conformis and they, using 3D technology, make her a new joint to the exact measurements of her bones.
So I guess she’ll be in the hands of the best.

Kevin got his done 1 1/2 years ago, a full knee replacement. He was walking without a cane at a week, and has full ROM. Doc said he was a model patient, and credited it to PT before surgery (strong quad), not waiting too long, and being a candidate for PT patient of the year. And let’s face it, he also just got lucky. Surgeon skill is a significant part of the equation too. About the only thing he has real difficulty with is kneeling, and that is to be expected. Oddly enough my knee is in worst shape as indicated by X-ray, but I don’t have pain so we just leave it. Doc said pain is the real determining factor on when to get a replacement.
Kevin's experience sounds like Chris' experience with her knee replacement.

Meanwhile, a couple of friends (one of whom is very active and leads various physical activities in her community), both had their 2 knees replaced. They both reported that it took 1+ year for each knee to recover. At the extreme, a neighbor had 3 surgeries on the same knee; She is allergic to any pain medication, and told me she was still in pain 8 years later.

Well that was interesting. If I ever need a knee replacement, I'll think back to this thread and make sure my pain meds are within reach.

Funny this post just came up. My DW (Dear Wife) just saw her orthopedic surgeon this past Thursday. Last October, he had to repair her right knee for a torn maniscus. He did the repair and after he said it wouldn’t be long before she would need to have her knees replaced.
Reminds me when Chris was the first surgery patient in a new local hospital and was scheduled for scraping a torn meniscus. Afterwards, the Doc came out and explained she was bone on bone (no meniscus to scrape). He decided to make holes in the ends of the bones, and the combination of marrow and blood formed a temporary meniscus. That was good for 10 years before Chris eventually needed a new knee.

We recently received a bill for two cortisone shots the DW got in her knees. $1,300! The total cost is over $8,000, which was billed to Medicare. We've been trying to prove to the provider that they mis-coded something. She can get a knee replaced for a $120 co-pay.

I'll be referring back to this thread as well.

We recently received a bill for two cortisone shots the DW got in her knees. $1,300! The total cost is over $8,000, which was billed to Medicare. We've been trying to prove to the provider that they mis-coded something. She can get a knee replaced for a $120 co-pay.

I'll be referring back to this thread as well.
Wow Russ! I've never paid a copay for knee or shoulder injections. Cortisone worked for a few years, but then had to switch to gel injections (3 shots a week apart in each knee). Much more expensive, but fully covered. Eventually the gel injections no longer worked, and it was time for a replacement knee.

No copay for the knee or associated hospital and nursing facility. I had to work hard to get out of that facility after 17 days because they were trying to get me to stay 100 days. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Medicare pays for 100 days :unsure:

All I know is now having both procedures, the old way and now the new way there is zero comparision, and since not many have heard of this Jiffy Knee I thought I would mention it here. I have now seen 3 different rehab people in the center I'm going to and they all have said they never see knee replacement people have the range of motion I have at this point of the rehab. Plus the lack of serious pain. Thanks Tom for posting that link for the video showing the difference.

I have two very old knees--left replaced in 2006 and right in 2009. I could barely walk with each before I had it replaced, but it was the best thing I ever did. My surgeon was a clinical professor of hip and knee replacement at the U of Michigan Hospital. I think he did an excellent job with my knees, but I will say that orthopedic surgeons have a reputation for not being the most friendly and having the best bedside manner. He was efficient and in and out for appointments, but my knees have done great for a long time. (Tip--orthopedic surgeons do not like you waking up and chatting during surgery while they are drilling and sawing! I got shut up quickly with more anesthesia!!)

It does take a while for the pain to get better and for bend to improve, but I was driving at three weeks for the first knee and two weeks for the second knee--not necessarily under doctor's recommendations. Biggest problem I had was that nerves are cut during the surgery, so I had large numb areas on sides of both knees that took years to resolve. The numbness was weird because I could not tolerate fabric rubbing against areas for long time, so wore baggy slacks and switched into shorts as soon as I got home from work. Even though areas were numb, they ached after a few hours of long pants, so for first few weeks at home, I wore loose sweats. Like I say, it was weird.

After 18 years, I have excellent bend in my knees and only a tiny bit of occasional aching.

I've lead a pretty active life, dealing with torn meniscus, that was surgically addressed, and now deal with bone on bone. I'm still pretty active and can deal with minimal pain and range of motion limits, with only occasional celebrex cap.
My problem is I can't imagine them hacking out those big knuckles and replacing them with a mechanical device.
After I broke my leg some years ago, memories of the pain I endured also tend to discourage my interest in getting my knees replaced.
Guess I'm a big chicken.. :oops:

I was to the point where if I needed something like a gallon of milk, I would try to find a store where I did not have to walk far past the door and where I could park right in front. I also had trouble at work in a big office building making it to other people's desks and meetings without incredible pain. I was on my way to a wheelchair.

So, what I am saying is that when the pain without the surgery gets too bad, the pain of the surgery will seem not so bad. Bending hurt, but I was easily able to walk around my condo and even go up 13 stairs to get to it. Just keep it elevated and take your opioids!!

... I had large numb areas on sides of both knees ... The numbness was weird because I could not tolerate fabric rubbing against areas for long time, so wore baggy slacks and switched into shorts as soon as I got home from work. Even though areas were numb, they ached after a few hours of long pants, so for first few weeks at home, I wore loose sweats. Like I say, it was weird.
Aye, weird is right. I have swelling, stiffness, pain and numbness all at the same time.
After 18 years, I have excellent bend in my knees and only a tiny bit of occasional aching.
Oh gosh, I hope I don't need to wait 18 years for things to get better :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregoryJamesIII
Back
Top Bottom