Anyone using TEMU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

More and more Temu Ads are appearing on my web pages. Anyone have any experience with them? Read an interesting NPR article regarding the reason they are doing so well. It has to do with what our Government calls De minimis sales. A category of sales so small tracking for taxes, etc., isn't practical. What started out pretty De minimis has grown to any item up to $800. That's not exactly De minimis in my book. But it obviously reflects the costs associated with the governments attempt to tax these items. Pricing of the advertised products is almost too low to believe. For example a 100 aH lithium battery for about $150.00.

More and more Temu Ads are appearing on my web pages. Anyone have any experience with them? Read an interesting NPR article regarding the reason they are doing so well. It has to do with what our Government calls De minimis sales. A category of sales so small tracking for taxes, etc., isn't practical. What started out pretty De minimis has grown to any item up to $800. That's not exactly De minimis in my book. But it obviously reflects the costs associated with the governments attempt to tax these items. Pricing of the advertised products is almost too low to believe. For example a 100 aH lithium battery for about $150.00.
I've bought a few things. Quality is about what I expected. Usable but not great. We bought some collapsible silicone food storage containers that are fine. Clothing less so, you can tell they use cheap fabric. Which is sometimes OK.

You need to be a bit cautious and read the descriptions carefully but No. i've not had any problems with them. Some stuff they are my "Go to" company.

Everybody already has all your contact information, so why not?

I suggest using a VPN, a third party payment method such as PayPal and check your bank daily.

IMO, and others on FB, Temu products are generally equivalent to dollar store products. They have there place and clientele. It's not for me.

I've purchased a few items from Temu. Most are no name brand products - some good, others not so much. I've found the hand tools are about Harbor Freight level quality. Got a small cordless hand trimmer chain saw that works great. It came with charger, 2 lithium batteries and 2 extra chains. Of course, GF then asked (demanded) a bunch of brush, shrub, and fruit tree trimming. Wouldn't use for commercial purposes, but great around the home use. And, I still have all my body parts.

The other day I read that TEMU is harvesting your data. I wish I could recall the source.but since I won't/haven't bought from them I figured it isn't going to affect me. Reason the prices are so low is because it is about as trustworthy as every other app that comes out of China.

Per the tech newsletter and sites I subscribe to: do not install the TEMU app on any device, they have been found guilty of illegal data mining multiple times.

Use a browser if you must buy from them.

I think I'd observe the Harbor Freight rule when buying from sites like TEMU, avoid it if it could fail and kill you, ie., lithium batteries, tires, jack stands, etc.

Hmmm... if I remember an article from months ago when researching Temu, I learned that the sister company Shein are suspected of spyware.

Their ghost parent company, PDD (Pinduoduo) was accused of programming their apps to bypass cellphone security safeguards and collect data "to boost sales." After this security issue came to light, the headquarters for Temu moved (possibly Shein, also). Coincidentally, the top programmers that developed the base software for PDD also moved to TEMU to help develop their platform...

Here's an article that offers some of this suspicion; Shopping app Temu is “dangerous malware,” spying on your texts, lawsuit claims

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR
The other day I read that TEMU is harvesting your data. I wish I could recall the source.but since I won't/haven't bought from them I figured it isn't going to affect me. Reason the prices are so low is because it is about as trustworthy as every other app that comes out of China.

Not any different than most other online shopping sites, or any online site for that matter.

Seen them but never used them. I'm kinda' wary of a site that has merch that is advertised everywhere else for $49.99 but Temu lists it for $8.95.

My adult daughter uses it fairly often, primarily for bargain stuff she knows won't be top quality and doesn't care. Delivery is slower than Amazon or Walmart.com in most cases, but again, one-day delivery isn't important for most things. Some of the stuff ships direct from China, though, so lag time can be weeks. You need to pay close attention to that.

I've purchased a few items from Temu. Most are no name brand products - some good, others not so much. I've found the hand tools are about Harbor Freight level quality. Got a small cordless hand trimmer chain saw that works great. It came with charger, 2 lithium batteries and 2 extra chains. Of course, GF then asked (demanded) a bunch of brush, shrub, and fruit tree trimming. Wouldn't use for commercial purposes, but great around the home use. And, I still have all my body parts.
So those cordless little chain saws work good. I saw them on Walmart was gonna grab one before. Looked like something lite to carry in the woods.
When my dog was around we'd walk the woods in the morning I'd carry this back pack and a roll of string and and this little saw like for sheet rock and grab sticks make little bundles for starters on fires at the camp sites. One of those be cool to trim stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom