Body roll 2015Ram 2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nedh

I had a 2013 ram 2500 went and bought a used Fleetwood tracker camper and it worked fine on the truck no problems whatsoever at any speed last year I opted for a newer truck a 2015 6.4 gas engine this one I learned had coil springs Recently wanted to go on a excursion to Michigan only got 150 miles into the trip knuckled because the truck would sway from side to side at speeds of 55 to 65 and would only stop at 35 miles an hour I attempted this three times and decided to call it quits and went home unloaded my camper and drove to Michigan and stayed with family very disappointed in the ram 2500 that I purchased with the coil suspension is there anything I can do to be fed up sway bars, airbags timberlands or just go find a truck other than the ram with coil springs please help.

We have no problem at all with ours but we are towing.

What is the truck payload (CCC) and what does truck camper weigh?

Truck campers make the rig really top heavy. I'm not terribly surprised that the coil springs are more prone to sway/lean than the previous trucks leaf springs. Coils have some advantages but coping well with near-max loads isn't one of them. And I'm thinking you are near max payload for that truck once you add in passengers and your camping gear in the camper. I suggest heading to a scale and get the actual gross weight when loaded.

I see some aftermarket coil springs advertised for the Rams but they seem targeted at the 1500s. Don't know what may be available for the 2500/3500. There are also airbag-assists which might help stiffen it up a bit and the better ones have an onboard compressor so you can adjust on the fly.

Last edited:

This video may help you, but look at other vids from this channel, as he has spent a LOT of time nailing down a good handling truck with a camper. I realize it is a dually with leaf springs, but you may learn a thing or two.

The anti-sway bar is a good start. I don't care for the Helwig due to the mounting setup (I have one sitting in the box in my shop that I finally decided to not install after starting the install. I like the Roadmaster better, but the Helwig will be OK.

Charles

Get air bags for inside the coil spring. Will make a difference. You will need to try different pressures to find the sweet spot. But if you’re close to max weight, it won’t fix it completely. Duallies help with this. Either drive slower and do some upgrades to help or get another truck.

Some pickups have different weight ratings for a truck camper vs hauling or towing. That information is found in the owners manual, not on the federal tire placard.
Your owners manual states this on page 269: Quote:
"SLIDE-IN CAMPERS
Camper Applications
Certain truck models are not recommended for slide-in
campers. To determine if your vehicle is excluded, please
refer to the “Consumer Information Truck-Camper Load-
ing” document available from your authorized dealer.
For safety reasons, follow all instructions in this impor-
tant document."
edited to add source: https://vehicleinfo.mopar.com/asset...15/1500/P127431_15_DJD2_OM_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

Last edited:
I have a 2002 Fleetwood Angler, pic are just about identical. I am in a Chev 2500 HD, but leaf springs, weight well within truck specs. Not much lean ssues, but a hadr bump I notice. On my Ford 350 diesel with a much heavier camper, I used some Timbrens that eliminated the swaying.

Really surprised the Ram 2500 has coils.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG DOUG
Back
Top Bottom