Camping World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I would not buy a vehicle from them, I often have service work done there for one reason--if I have problems with the part installed or the work, there are Camping World's everywhere that I can take it back to.

Frankly, I would not buy an RV from General RV, either. That does not leave much choice in RV dealers.

Four months ago, I bought and pay for the installation of replacement vinyl for the awning. The material had to be ordered; it would take 3 weeks for shipping. An installation date was set. Upon taking the MH for installation, I was informed an hour later that the material was the wrong size. Another order had to be placed. This time, shipping was estimated at 3-4 weeks. Three weeks later, CW sent an email informing me the order would be delayed about 4 months. The wife and I informed CW that was unacceptable. Thus, the store manager became involved. Within a day, my desired material was located in another part of the country. It was to be shipped to my CW store. It would arrive in a week. Needless to say, it didn't. The store manager traced the order and kept me informed. Finally, a week later, the material arrived and another installation date, aweek later, was set. The MH was delivered today and the new awning was installed. Through this ordeal, the parts representative, service manager, and store manager were great to work on the delays, apologizing to me with each contact. In conclusion, the store manager gave me a gift card valued at the cost of installation for all my incovienence. Couldn't ask for much more than that. Call me a satisfied customer!!

Believe the bad reviews, and it includes service. Never had any real issues with buying stuff from the stores or being a Good Sam member. They will do anything and everything to avoid doing the right thing. They seriously damaged my rv multiple times while it was in for service. They wanted me to pay over $10k to repair the damage they did before they would discuss reimbursing me for anything. If I shared the details you would think I made this up. I wouldn't have believed how horrible they were until I went through it myself. Look online and you will see thousands of customers they have screwed over on every RV brand's website. Believe them. The companies motto might as well be do anything and everything, illegally, immorally, or any other way to screw the customer and make a buck. I had to sue them to avoid losing tens of thousands of dollars due to their negligence and incompetence. They even changed and buried evidence to try to strong arm me into a bad settlement. Marcus and his cronies should be in jail.

So sorry for the awful service you received. While not all individual Camping World shops are guilty of bad behavior, but enough are that the corporation deserves the bad reputation.

Starts at the top. Marcus Lemonis (yes, that Marcus Lemonis from TV's The Profit) was a used car salesman at his great uncle's car lot in Miami. It was subsequently sold to AutoNation. Prior to that he ran for the Florida House of Representatives as a Democrat and was resoundingly beating by the 2 term Republican incumbent. After some wheeling and dealing at AutoNation, in '97 he and Lee Iacocca (yes, that Lee Iacocca) formed Holiday RV Superstores and then began acquiring distressed RV dealerships at rock bottom prices. In 2006 that company merged with Camping World and he managed to become CEO. In 2011 they bought Good Sam Enterprises, again with Lemonis naming himself CEO.

He (and Camping World et. al) have been sued numerous times for breach of contract, false representation, and internal fiduciary discrepancies. He positions himself as a philanthropist but he manages make sure he comes out on top when each of those organizations fold.

He is an unscrupulous businessman has no hesitation in selling shoddy products at top dollar and then not standing behind that low quality product. Not to mention other dubious business dealings.

There are a few utoob vid on depositions he's had to make after he's been sued. Personally, I wouldn't do any business with anything this guy is associated with.

But that's just me.

I have had very mixed experiences at Camping World. First, I have never (nor would I ever) purchase an RV through them. After we purchased our last RV (from the same dealer we've purchased all five of our RVs from) we stopped at a Camping World store to get a few necessary supplies. Because of a major screw-up at Camping World previously we had a $100 gift card we needed to spend.

While there, we looked at a similar RV to what we had just purchased and of course a sales guy comes over and wants to close the deal. We asked how much and he told us a price about $25,000 above what we had just paid. The price he quoted was 100% full retail MSRP. We told him it would be a cash purchase - he said "that doesn't matter it's the same price." We asked if they ever negotiated and he said flatly, "NO".

Years ago we had some slide-out covers put on a fifth wheel we owned. It took forever to get on their schedule and after we finally did, they drilled all the holes in the trailer then realized they had ordered the wrong part. So, they "patched up the holes" and sent us on our way while they ordered the new covers. Once there, it took two or three weeks to get scheduled again and the installation was acceptable, but we still had a dozen or so "patched holes" in each side of our camper.

For supplies and minor equipment, it's been an OK place to buy, but personally I prefer to support small businesses. If I can't find something at a small business in my area, then I'll normally order from Amazon.

But again - I'd never purchase an RV from them.

I have spent a fortune buying accessories since we purchased our 5ver. For some reason my work computer blocks CW website so not a single one of those purchases has been from them.

So sorry for the awful service you received. While not all individual Camping World shops are guilty of bad behavior, but enough are that the corporation deserves the bad reputation.
Stop defending them. i could live with a mistake at their locations. It was corporate that tried to screw me. The rv industry is rife with greedy companies who sell shoddy products and wont support them. Camping World is one of those companies. If corporate is corrupt why would you take the chance of hoping to find a needle in the haystack good employee at one of the locations?

For those of you considering buying a new rv realize that there are no building codes on an rv and there are no laws requiring disclosure of problems when selling them. It will cost you far more than you think to maintain it and you better know how to fix things yourself. You will wait a very long time for a service appointment and rhe majority of places do shoddy work.

The rv lifestyle is wonderful but the costs and stress have increased substantially and for most people it is no longer worth it.

Starts at the top. Marcus Lemonis (yes, that Marcus Lemonis from TV's The Profit) was a used car salesman at his great uncle's car lot in Miami. It was subsequently sold to AutoNation. Prior to that he ran for the Florida House of Representatives as a Democrat and was resoundingly beating by the 2 term Republican incumbent. After some wheeling and dealing at AutoNation, in '97 he and Lee Iacocca (yes, that Lee Iacocca) formed Holiday RV Superstores and then began acquiring distressed RV dealerships at rock bottom prices. In 2006 that company merged with Camping World and he managed to become CEO. In 2011 they bought Good Sam Enterprises, again with Lemonis naming himself CEO.

He (and Camping World et. al) have been sued numerous times for breach of contract, false representation, and internal fiduciary discrepancies. He positions himself as a philanthropist but he manages make sure he comes out on top when each of those organizations fold.

He is an unscrupulous businessman has no hesitation in selling shoddy products at top dollar and then not standing behind that low quality product. Not to mention other dubious business dealings.

There are a few utoob vid on depositions he's had to make after he's been sued. Personally, I wouldn't do any business with anything this guy is associated with.

But that's just me.
That sounds familiar, give me a minute while I try to recall the name of that other grifter.

The rv lifestyle is wonderful but the costs and stress have increased substantially and for most people it is no longer worth it.
So are you telling us that the number of people living and traveling full-time in an RV is getting smaller? If you don't mind, would you share the source of those numbers?

That sounds familiar, give me a minute while I try to recall the name of that other grifter.
I would categorize Lemonis as a grifter. Grifter implies small time two bit petty swindling. Lemonis does his thievery at a high level. Not sure who 'that other grifter' refers to.

I know not everyone buying RV's reads this, or probably any other forum.
But for Camping world to be as big as it is with the reputation it has, makes me conclude either there's a lot of people with more money than sense or, somewhere, they actually do get things right.🤔

Back
Top Bottom