City Water issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I removed the city water inlet valve and turned on the pump. The water freely flushed out of the lavatory hose onto the ground and then sputtered as the water was purged.

Then, I first plugged the flanged connector straight to the city water hose and water freely flowed out of the end that connects to the lavatory hose....... I reconnected the flange valve and then the city water hose connection.

Now, water does come out of the sinks, toilet, and shower.......... strong initially for about two seconds. Then the pressure peters out to a trickle after about only 5 to 10 seconds.

I am completely at a loss as to what the heck is causing this.

I hope my ramblings make sense.

What is the lavatory “hose” mentioned. Is it the 3” hose connected to your rv sewer pipe? There is no other “hose” except for the hose between the water supply and the water inlet on the rv.

The water freely flushed out of the lavatory hose onto the ground and then sputtered as the water was purged.
Do you mean to say that the water ran out of the line where the city connection was, but then slowed to a trickle, with the pump still operating at normal speed, or did the pump also slow?
Now, water does come out of the sinks, toilet, and shower.......... strong initially for about two seconds. Then the pressure peters out to a trickle after about only 5 to 10 seconds.
Is that when using city water but does it mean that it flows normally with the water pump? If the water from the pump is normal to the sink & toilet, but not out of the removed city connection, that means that there is some type of obstruction in the line from the city connection to where it connects into the RV system. About all that I can think of is to trace that water line to the place that it joins into the RV system to see if you can find something. I suspect that the water line may have a kink in it or be crushed somewhere.
6ad45cab0a5f991a26f2c2f23f7fbbda.jpg

Last edited:
OK, that indicates a partial blockage, i.e. fresh water does not flow in from the hose & thru the city inlet as fast as it goes out thru the faucets.
You say water flows freely thru hose & inlet when disconnected from the "lavatory hose" (the internal RV plumbing?) and water flows Out of that plumbing hose when you run the pump. Yet that inflow quickly stops when you re-connect the inlet to the internal plumbing "hose"? That would indicate the blockage is at the point where the connection is made. I can't guess what is causing it, but that's the only place it could be, given your description. Examine that joint closely. Something is closing off the inlet to "lavatory hose" when the attachment is made.

Last edited:
With a partial blockage water may flow swiftly because that Check valve in the water heater line... DOES NOT ALWAYS EXIST what is happening is the air cushion in the top of the water heater is pushing water out full tilt.. but incoming water can not keep up with the demand.

Indicates partially clog.. YOu need to find it.

What is the lavatory “hose” mentioned. Is it the 3” hose connected to your rv sewer pipe? There is no other “hose” except for the hose between the water supply and the water inlet on the rv.
1000001710.jpg

With a partial blockage water may flow swiftly because that Check valve in the water heater line... DOES NOT ALWAYS EXIST what is happening is the air cushion in the top of the water heater is pushing water out full tilt.. but incoming water can not keep up with the demand.

Indicates partially clog.. YOu need to find it.
I am thinking this is the thing. I've noticed the water being warm to the touch initially and then turning cold after a couple seconds.

I really appreciate everyone here and all of your suggestions and comments.

Do you mean to say that the water ran out of the line where the city connection was, but then slowed to a trickle, with the pump still operating at normal speed, or did the pump also slow?

Is that when using city water but does it mean that it flows normally with the water pump? If the water from the pump is normal to the sink & toilet, but not out of the removed city connection, that means that there is some type of obstruction in the line from the city connection to where it connects into the RV system. About all that I can think of is to trace that water line to the place that it joins into the RV system to see if you can find something. I suspect that the water line may have a kink in it or be crushed somewhere.
6ad45cab0a5f991a26f2c2f23f7fbbda.jpg
When the pump is active, the water flows normal (like normal when the pump is active.....) When connected to the city water (with the pump off) the water initially comes out forcefully.... and then after 2 or 3 seconds, begins to trail off... and after another 2 to 3 seconds is barely there at all.

Hopefully this is understood... I am trying here to make it make sense to you all.

I am thinking this is the thing. I've noticed the water being warm to the touch initially and then turning cold after a couple seconds.

I really appreciate everyone here and all of your suggestions and comments.
Warm turning cold Room temp then well temp. 120 water heater temp is HOT not warm.

I am trying here to make it make sense to you all.
Have you tried removing the city connection's fitting and then turning the pump on? That should push water back out of the tube that would have been connected to the city connection.
614yWQqM0PL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

If you operate the water pump with this connection removed, that would push water out of the tube to determine if your problem is between the city fitting and the water lines, as shown in the drawing I posted in #23. That is the only way that I can think of to narrow down what the problem is.

You are showing a pair of hot (red stripe) & cold (blue stripe) flexible connectors. You have those hoses connected to the city inlet? Or one hose similar to those? That seems unusual - the city inlet would typically couple directly to the Pex tubing of the RV's internal plumbing. Flex connectors like those would be found at the faucets, connecting them to the other end of the Pex tubing.

I ask only to make sure we are correctly understanding what sort of plumbing you have.

Just a few pictures of what I've been doing/looking at today. I'll post more as I try and progress.

Looking at the top picture the line that goes through the hole, is that going outside and is that also the city water connection?

It really sounds as though the line going to the fresh water inlet is the problem or the check valve on the water inlet is not opening completely under pressure.
What is the line laying on the floor with the plug in it?

With the city water connection check valve assembly removed so you have an open ended pipe, can you disconnect the COLD water Flex hose going to your sink faucet. Then using a compressor, blow air through that flex line and try to catch anything that come out the open ended pipe outside. You can Tie a piece of 📺 material on the end of the pipe to see if anything comes out and what comes out. You should get a large steady blast of air. If you don’t have a compressor, you can use a water hose instead. Using air is not messy at all. If there is anything in that pipe, hopefully it will come out.

Have you tried removing the city connection's fitting and then turning the pump on as I suggested before? It would quickly determine if the problem is in the line shown in the first picture.

I am wondering if you bought this RV new or used as I have never seen the use of those hose connections before? What make, model and year RV do you have?

It's a 2012 gulfbreeze 28bbs

Bought it used

And, yes I did the disconnect fitting-water pump thing you suggested, and water flowed from the flex hose until purged and then air/water sputtered out.

It's also possible that there is damage on the inside of the hose causing it to restrict water flow in one direction. I had this happen on a brake hose on my daughters car. The inner lining in the hose was torn loose and the brake fluid could not return to master cylinder. Acted like a one way valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom