Experiences with Bunk Beds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wae

I just sold our older 32ft Class A and we're looking to do a little upgrading. We're a family of five, but our kids are a bit older now and may not always be going with us. But they're also a bit taller than when we started RVing 8 years ago! We also will occasionally have other adults with us when we go to events like Gencon or an IMSA race or something like that. Might not have all or any of the kids on those trips, but may have a couple "full-size" adults. One thing that we really didn't like was the ordeal of turning the dinette and the couch into beds at night and then back into furniture in the morning, so my wife has made a coach with bunks a hard line. I originally wanted to look to a large bumper-pull with the two bedroom setup, but five people, a cat, and 215 pounds of dog in a crew-cab just ain't gonna work. That said, we're looking at used As and Cs with bunk beds. In the pictures they don't look too bad, but when I start looking at the brochures, those bunks start looking awfully short.

In a Class A, I've seen Miradas, Georgetowns, Vistas, Sightseers, Hurricanes, Bounders, and a couple others with the bunks in the back hallway. I've also seen a fascinating 2008 National Surfside that has an actual bunk room in a midship location, but those look more like bookshelves. Some of those also have the drop-down bunk in the cab area which looks more appropriately-sized for actual people. The Class C rigs that I've researched are a few Minnie Winnies, [Grey|Red]hawks, Sunseekers, Freelanders, Tioga Rangers, and a couple others. The ones I've examined are all with the over-cab bunk which, again, looks like it better supports full-size human beings. My budget is from $30k-$50k so that's got me looking at gasser Class A coaches in a range from 2006-15 and Class C rigs from 2012-2019. I've been watching the various valuation aggregators and for sale sites for a couple months now and it seems like prices are starting to crater a bit so that, combined with the end of the season, could bring some newer inventory into my range - I'm not in a big hurry and I'm willing to wait. I'd *like* to have something by Christmas so that we can visit the in-laws in our typical Cousin Eddie style and then hit the Rolex in Florida in January, but hotels and airbnbs will get the job done if need be.

What I'd like to know is how bad are those bunk beds for full-sized humans? This wouldn't be a full-time situation - the longest trip that we'd take would probably be no more than a week at a time with going to races or conventions more like a weekend adventure. I haven't had a chance to go see any in person yet because none of my local dealers have anything that I'd be looking for and I don't really want to hassle a private seller just to tire-kick their floorplan. I'm hoping that someone here has some experience with a unit like that and can share their experience.

RV bunk beds can vary in length from 68 to 80 inches and in width from 24 to 35 inches, but s typical size is 28 inches wide by 75 inches long. However, the size of bunk beds in an RV is often customized to fit the unique sleep spaces of the RV, so it's recommended to measure the space before buying. Some common RV bunk mattress sizes include:
  • 28 in x 75 in
  • 30 in x 75 in
  • 30 in x 80 in
  • 32 in x 74 in
  • 34 in x 75 in
  • 35 in x 79 in
When you do look at one I suggest that you also take a close look at the mattresses, as most RV bunkbeds just have a cheap foam pad of 3-4" thickness.

Great info from Kirk! But each RV is gonna be different it's basically a caveat emptor thing, so bring your tape measure. Even different floor plans in the same brand may have the bunk size adapted to the specific space available. Price (the original MSRP) is also a factor - skimping on bed size and mattress quality is one of several common ways for a low end model to look good but still cut costs. So when shopping, climb into the bunk yourself as an actual use-test.

I doubt if many bunks are configured with adults in mind, Or even teenagers.

Couple of ideas instead of bunks:
Thor Outlaw is a class A toy hauler. Has a queen bed that is up some stairs and is over the garage. Instead of toys, the garage can be outfitted as a bedroom.
Some class A’s have a birth over the cockpit. It lowers for sleeping. You may need put it back up to use the captains’ chairs, but that would be easier than reconfiguring the dinette. You can also use that for storage.

Yeah, most of the brochures show the bunk sizes in their floorplan diagrams, so I've got the dimensions. I just don't have any to put my eyeballs on or to actually try to lay in. I was hoping someone with that experience would be able to weigh in with what they thought it was like in reality. I don't really want to travel some distance and/or waste someone's time tire-kicking their coach if I'm not reasonably confident that the floorplan would work for me.

I've seen a few of the drop-down bunk models out there and I think you're absolutely right that would be something that would work well for us. That accounts for two of the daughters or one other adult - for whatever reason, we never travel with other couples. That's actually the main draw of a C for me - it's a lot easier to find that over-cab bunk!

Interesting about the toy hauler. I've been in some of the 5er toy hauler garages and while I kind of like it, the other folks in the family think they're a little too spartan. Looking at pictures of the Outlaw, the master bedroom, such that it is, wouldn't really work since it's more of a large bunk than a master. The other problem with the toy hauler is that my toys are too big for the little garage they put in those. If I could at least get the Miata in there, that might be something.

To be clear, I fully understand that what I'm looking for probably doesn't actually exist and I further realize that I've got steak tastes on a dino-nuggie budget. But I figure it's worth at least asking the question and getting opinions!

We just went through pretty much the same process last year - went from an older C to newer A. Really liked the overhead bunk in our Class C and once we started looking settled on the bunkhouse models as well (6 grandkids). We found several models in our range and finally settled on a 2015 Fleetwood Storm 32H (sometimes listed as a 32BH). It has the bunks in the hallway back to the bedroom in a slide and when the bunks aren't down it provides another table - we refer to it as our 'breakfast nook'. The top bunk has a 300lb weight limit. It also has the electric overcab bed - which works great and is a huge bed!

We really like the floorplan - most everything is available while we're in traveling mode (which was a big deal for us) AND the bunks are long enough for me to fit in - I'm 5'11"...and they are actually pretty comfortable - granted, I haven't slept on one but my grandkids (ages 4-10) love them.

Generally speaking, RVs come from the factory with crappy mattresses (read "cheap!) and the bunks are no exception.
It has been my observation that the bunks are much worse, usually just 3" cheap foam, the same as at the dinette.
I haven't slept on one but my grandkids (ages 4-10) love them.
Part of the success of most bunkhouse models is the fact that younger folks can usually sleep on just about anything. And when traveling with grandparents, that makes the requirements for the children even lower. This is probably truer for the shorter bunkbeds.

For adults, I'd say a minimum of 30"x80" (possibly wider than 30" would be desired). A queen mattress is 60"x80" for comparison.
Most (and in particular bunk) mattresses that come with RV's are really bad. We changed all mattresses in our RV's to something better (even the bunks). The issue with bunks is the low height, so for older kids (my daughter is now teenager) and adults crawling into and out of is not pleasant. Some people would also prefer more space above them.
So I suggest you (and your wife) try laying down in some to see if you are Ok with that vs. a converting a couch/dinette.

I know I wouldn't be interested in a bunk but I'd make it work. I've seen them in regular travel trailers and tried them. I'm 6'5 , 230/240lbs wide shoulders not the build I use to have 😂 but if I had to get up for a pee it would take some doin. Could not jump to move quickly I was fit like a coffin. Got to be a back sleeper and not shift much. And some had that floor bed, what is that. Better have a 5 year old that thinks it's cool. But like I said , if I had to I'd make it work. No teddy bear to hold and no beer cause your not getting up quick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjsracing
Back
Top Bottom