Faster than a 911 while towing a 911

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess some people hate EV’s so much that they were going to shoot up the Cybertruck launch event this last Wednesday.
Last year, there were some guys going around cutting all the EV fast charge station cables in Reno.

At least I have no use for the Reno fast chargers. Too close to home to be useful to me.

But I think they also got to the free ones at Donnor Summit, which were useful to me:chargewires.jpg

Last edited:
I guess some people hate EV’s so much that they were going to shoot up the Cybertruck launch event this last Wednesday. The alleged terrorist was from Florida. Why am I not shocked (pun!)

Last year, there were some guys going around cutting all the EV fast charge station cables in Reno.

At least I have no use for the Reno fast chargers. Too close to home to be useful to me.

But I think they also got to the free ones as Donnor Summit, which were useful to me:
While I'm not a big proponent of EV's, that's just childish, felonious vandalism for no reason.

The US is extracting more oil and gas today than ever in our history. Furthermore, when Ford began mass producing automobiles there were no highways, gas stations, mechanics, pipelines, or any other automobile related infrastructure in America. As EV's become more widespread the infrastructure will come. Gov't use subsidies to spur growth, otherwise we'd still be traveling in covered wagons and dying at 45. Get over it.

I have been looking at used Tesla's on the internet, some are cheaper than the same year Caddy's.
My main concerns are cost of battery replacement and cost of replacing those special tires.

My main concerns are cost of battery replacement
That is much like worrying about an engine replacement except for the battery will give you a lot more warning and has a much longer warranty than any engine. They degrade so slowly that you're unlikely to even notice it for many years. What you will probably notice first is that it takes less time to charge to full than it used to. That is because "full" is then less KWHs.

But the battery will probably last longer than we will if you avoid using superchargers too much.

Of course, there are a few rare exceptions where the battery can just crap out rather suddenly. But that usually happens well within the battery warranty period.

While my rest of my 2018 Tesla is no longer in warranty, the battery still is. My 2018 Telsa M3 LR guarantees 70 percent retention of battery capacity for 8 years and for 100,000 miles. So my 330-mile range has to drop to less than 231 miles for the warranty claim by year 2026. I don't drive it far often, so I won't have to worry about that 100K miles, but that could be an issue for some over the period of 8 years.

The warranties on EVs vary. Be sure to read about the battery warranty for the vehicle you're buying. They are normally years longer than the rest of the car. Some have unlimited mileage warranties on their EV batteries.

To change all four tires on a Tesla, expect the cost to be around $1,400.00 or $350.00 per tire. Drive as you would a normal ICE car and the tires will last a very long time.

-Don- in rainy Auburn, CA

$350/ea. Shoot MH tires cost more than that.
I just now looked it up. It's even cheaper for my M3:

"Tesla Model 3
The average tire replacement cost on a Tesla Model 3 is $900 to $1,200 per set. This includes the cost of the tire, labor, and other fees. The Tesla Model 3 is very popular, and various manufacturers make its tires. Many different types of tires are available for the Tesla Model 3, so the replacement tire cost will vary depending on your chosen tire."

The tires for the superfast models cost more <as if the M3 isn't fast enough>)

See here.

-Don- Auburn, CA

The iX rides on Goodyear Eagle Touring 255/50R21 109H XL-load tires. Supposedly they are an all-season but do not carry the mountain/snowflake symbol, just M+S. They're $430/each on Tire Rack right now. They seem to do well in cool wet weather - we'll be taking a trip in a few weeks where we'll have freezing and some snow conditions.

Or there's a Bridgestone Alenza on closeout for $151/each. - Guess what I'd put on it?

One of the tradeoffs is I don't think we'll ever have to replace the brakes inside of 100k miles. In almost 400 miles of regular driving so far, neither of us really use the brakes. We always have the car in "B" mode instead of "D", and one-pedal drive it. Lift off the throttle, and the car will bring itself to a stop using regenerative braking through resistance in the wheel motors.

is I don't think we'll ever have to replace the brakes inside of 100k miles.
I wouldn't think you would need to replace the brake pads during the life of the car.

More so with my Chevy Bolt. I mainly only use the regen control on the steering wheel, but if I do put pressure on the brake pedal, the regen increases progressively and shows the amount of KWs on the screen. I really love these features and wish my Tesla had them. This also makes the Bolt much more fun to drive. But Tesla adds nothing at all with the brake pedal--it only has decelerating regen. And has no regen control on the steering wheel.

BTW, I wish they would not even use the words "braking regeneration" for deceleration regen. They need to separate these terms, IMO.

Even my Zero motorcycles have both, deceleration as well as TRUE braking regeneration. IMO, all EVs should have the true braking regen in addition to the deceleration regen. I mean why waste both the brake pads as well as the energy when you want to stop by using the brake pedal?

Does your new BMW add regen with the brake pedal? Is there a way to control the deceleration regen as you're driving?

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Does your new BMW add regen with the brake pedal? Is there a way to control the deceleration regen as you're driving?

-Don- Auburn, CA

Yes it does. In D mode it's configurable high/med/low or "adaptive". In B mode, it's progressive as you lift off the throttle.

Yes it does. In D mode it's configurable high/med/low or "adaptive". In B mode, it's progressive as you lift off the throttle.
It's configurable as I drive with my Bolt with the thingy on the steering wheel. I use this level to decelerate at any regen amount I want at any time. It has rather low deceleration regen if I do not use the level and as little or as much as I want when I do. I doubt if the brake pads have ever engaged in this car since I owned it. But I am sure they would if I charged to full where there would be no or very little regen. But I never have charged it to full. I never had the need.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgovatos
Back
Top Bottom