Fly Tying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Resurrecting this from the depths...

I enjoy fly tying and always take some materials with me when camping.  When we are packing i decide on 3-4 flies that i might want to tie on the upcoming trip (usually just weekends) then pack only the tools and materials to tie those 3-4 flies.  I pack everything in a small rubber maid tote and stow it under the bed.

I use a pedestal vise so i can set up anywhere whether it be the dinette table, the picnic table, the tailgate or my lap.  If the weather turns crummy or we just have some down time i will bust out the box and whip up a few.  I also carry a small lamp that i can use for extra light when tying indoors.  One of my favorite things is to tie at the picnic table just before the sun starts to set and there is still enough light to see.

Joe:

If we ever cross paths I'd love to see how you pack up.  I figure if I could limit myself to one favorite fly, I'd be able to carry a small packet in my full-timing situation.

We are only weekenders now.  I usually take a few minutes on Wednesday or Thursday night and sit at my desk and say "what do i feel like tying this weekend?"  The choice usually coincides with the time of year.  Our first trip is coming up next week, since it is early spring i am probably looking at mayflies, caddis or nymphs.  So the thought process may be - ok I am going to do parachute adams in 12 and 14.  in goes a pack of each hook size, tailing material, spool of thread, dubbing, hackle and scissors, hackle pliers and whip finisher.  I also love bunny leeches so i may take a pack of rabbit strips, some streamer hooks and proper thread.  Next trip out may be foam ants, beetles and hoppers.  It just depends on what i feel like when i am packing.

I have a sturdy rubbermaid bin the size of a tall shoe box to keep stuff in.  On some trips i might not ever get the box out and on others i might tie a couple dozen.

Next week is our first trip, once i pack up i will take a few photos.

Smoky, if i were fulltiming i would take a close look at what i fish for and what i use.  From there i would pick a set number of patterns and just take the materials for those flies.  Off the top of my head i would choose parachute adams (12-22), copper john (with a few rib and bead colors), bunny leech (black, white, olive, natural), black foam ants, Elk hair caddis (tan, olive, black).  I fish with one of those flies probably 90% of the time.

The next thing to consider would be material amounts, and this brings up cost vs. weight issues.  Rather than carrying full capes and saddles in each color you want you could go with Whiting 1/4 saddles or even 100 packs of hackle.  You need to resupply more often and the cost would be a bit more, but you would save space and weight, same with hooks a 25 pack is smaller than a 100 pack and the little ziploc baggies pack smaller than the boxes.  At that point I would also look into investing in one of the high end Fishpond or William Joseph fly tying kit bags to help with organization and storage.

I carry my gear in a tackle box that has two retractable shelves that are compartmentalized.  The compartments allow me to seperate tools, thread, dubbing, etc.  I also have a neat little tupper-ware type of container that measures about eight inches long by three inches wide and about one inch high.  It is compartmentalized into ten compartments down each side.  In this are hooks.  The hook box, hackles, vice, and all kinds of other tying material fit snugly in the lower section of the tackle box. 

Works well for me. 

I too carry mine in a tackle box, a larger Plano type.

This discussion got me thinking about our upcoming trip to the UK. There are a couple of nice trout streams I used to fish, and I have a lifetime membership in one of the angling clubs. Airline luggage restrictions are a bit of a challenge, but yesterday I pulled out my 6-piece fly rod and a reel with #6WF line. I also pulled out my wading vest, and will put a limited selection of tackle, flies, etc in the pockets. The vest will lay flat on top of clothes in my suitcase.

I'll tie some flies before we leave. Waders and wading boots will have to be bought there, but hopefully can be recycled to a family member.

Attachments

• fly_tying_upper.jpg
    fly_tying_upper.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 34
  • fly_tying_lower.jpg
    fly_tying_lower.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 21
Tom, you are certainly a serious fly tier!

I love fly fishing, but made up my mind not to get into fly tying as well.

On April 23 we are leaving for Arkansas for a month of fly fishing; then we move on to Montana and Wyoming for the rest of the summer! In fact I am already spinning my wheels! Hopefully we will have a good season.

Mariekie

[quote author=mariekie4]Tom, you are certainly a serious fly tier![/quote]

Not really. I have some gear and materials, but my creations aren't very good, and rarely imitate the intended insect. I've also been known to buy flies from a store local to the waters I plan to fish  :-[

welcome, I am beginner fly tyer and do mostly nymphs, midges, wooly buggers and some streamers, I mostly fish her in Pennsylvania but also love heading north to fish steelhead and salmon on fly rod... tons of fun. We are also beginner "RVers' having purchased our first unit, a used type c. took it on some local trips last year and doing New England this year. Next year hope to see you in Montana...

I was recently in a Kauai, HI and the wild chickens, especially roosters, drove me crazy.  I saw so many rooster with capes that I use to tie flies that it made me drool.  Capes can be very expensive, but in Kauai, you could pick the one you want and have BBQ chicken for dinner all for the price of one!!!

A cape is a head covering. In fly tying terms, it's the head feathers of a male bird (e.g. cockerel), removed from the bird like a scalp. The cape feathers are relatively stiff, and work well as the hackles of a fly.

Thanks, Tom... I was raised (as a kid) on a chicken farm. Mind you that was in a different country.  :)

I've heard of getting your hackles up, which has happened to me, but I never got my capes up..  ;D

Good thing happened, I just learned a new word.

carson FL

[quote author=carson]... I was raised (as a kid) on a chicken farm.[/quote]

Maybe you didn't pay attention Carson  ;D

That hurt, Tom.  ;D

I probably know more about chicken than you know about..err..condors? flying fish?  etc..  :)

A little edit here.. I have been called a chicken in the past because I don't fight my fellow man, just the bad guys in War.

I am sure you have stories as well.

carson FL

From Friday night, was rainy, windy and chilly outside, inside is was warm and dry.  Enjoyed a beverage and tied up several Copper Johns and Slate Drakes.

Attachments

• RV tying.jpg
    RV tying.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 21
I'd appreciate the opportunity to learn from some of you.  Hopefully this summer in Yellowstone.  A lesson is good for a  beverage or two of your choice.

Dan T

I saw a great shirt today: "The way to a mans heart is though his fly". The shirt was covered with hand tied flys.

Jeff

Like the shirt, I have been tying for about 6 years, found a 3 legged table put adapters on it for a giraffe light and magnifier, I have 2 wooden tool boxes not big (got them at Harbor Freight)  filled with materials and such.  When we are at someplace and it rains I set the table and all up under the overhang of the fiver and  tie.  I love the Guadalupe river near Canyon Lake Texas.  It is catch and release and there are some hogs in there.  Nice campgrounds on the river.  I just purchased a Creeks Company pontoon boat that we carry with us and it works great for a small boat.  Inflates and deflates very easy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom