Food at the campground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchmenSport

I saw this article: Click here DIY RV on the bottom of the Keystone Forum and it prodded a memory.

We visited a private campground in Indiana a few times called, Cornerstone Retreat and Campground, near New Castle, Indiana. Click here. This is a private owned campground, family run, and has an excellent reputation. They have a combination of seasonal and transient campsites. It use to be a KOA many, many, many years ago. The owners have done a lot and it's a actually a popular campground.

The thing that grabbed my attention about the "hot dog" article above was remembering that Cornerstone campground had their kitchen in the campground. Their specialty was "pizza". You could call their number and have a pizza delivered right to your camper door. It was cooked right on the campground. It was kind of a novel idea and we really enjoyed that feature.

So the article above and the memory prodded me? Where else have you folks camped at that provided food right at the campground, even possibly delivered to your camper door?

We've been in some Indiana State Parks in the past that had some food service, usually at the swimming areas, but nothing at the campgrounds themselves.

So, anyone want to share your experiences?

Thanksgiving weekend, 2021 I think. Stayed at an RV park where one of the owner's other gigs was an onsite restaurant and catering business. Called in dinner, and a nominal time later came a knock on the door with our vittles. Since we don't have a toad it's one way of "going out" without having to leave. Most RV parks we've been will often have an amenities list of local restaurants, some that deliver and are familiar with the park. Generally we're not anywhere long enough to make food delivery something we're interested in but it's nice when there's a relationship there between the parks and local businesses. About the closest I've come to that in campgrounds is a nearby store or market that sees a lot of campers and stocks stuff campers tend to want.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

This goes back about 15 years, I think. Stayed for a weekend at the Cooperstown KOA (Richfield Springs, NY). New owners originally from RI had just taken over. On Friday night you put in an order for lobster that comes in fresh from RI on Saturday for dinner.

In Christmas Cove off Great St. James in the USVI there is a pizza barge named Pizza Pi. You can just motor right over to it and get a pretty good pizza. But you have to wait an hour after eating the pizza before you go snorkeling or you could die.
pizza.jpg

Most of our camping experience is along the northeast and having meals available on site is not unusual at all.
We've seen this at a number of campgrounds. Don't recall any that deliver to your site except for one in Mystic Ct where you could order a lobster dinner, from an off site source.
Others had everything from food trucks to stands that served hot sandwiches and pizzas, to a full fledged restaurants.
Safe travels and all the best.

One of the membership campgrounds I belonged to (The one I still do) one of their campgrounds (the one I visit most) a couple of managers ago they put in Pizza ovens at the Grill. No delivery however you got to pick up but it's On Campus ...

Alas. no longer having a motor home I don't go there any more

I believe it was Hamlin Beach State Park in NY where I saw a sign for a pizza place that would deliver right to your camp site.

Stayed at a place once that had a cafe on site. Nothing fancy, it was a burger/chicken strips type of menu. When we returned to the same place a year later the cafe was gone.

Most large parks have periodic community dinners. Sometimes pot luck, others have 2-3 menu items you can order.
Every park close to or in a city has fast food delivery to the site.

We've stayed at a number of parks over the years where local eateries would deliver meals to our site. Then there's been others like the Jonestown, PA KOA that has a store and deli on site that delivers meals like fried chicken, steak fries, etc. to your door.

I find this thread interesting. Of all the places I've camped in my 6 decades, I can't remember ever being at a campsite that had any kind of food delivery. Now, there may have been a small burger and fry place up by the tiny general store at the entrance but no delivery.

Lazy Days in Tucson CB run by
KOA has, or at least had last time we were there, a BBQ and pizza with bar on site, and they wuld deliver to the campsite. Good food too.

I've seen a few RV parks that had pizza in the camp store, and some would deliver it to your site. We spent a night in the Tucson/LazyDays KOA in the Tucson area which has a restaurant in the park called BBQ Rush (they deliver to your site, too), among other amenities (expensive), and I've come across a very few others with actual restaurants on site, too.

Edit: I see Bill beat me to the punch...

Stayed at a place once that had a cafe on site. Nothing fancy, it was a burger/chicken strips type of menu. When we returned to the same place a year later the cafe was gone.

Most large parks have periodic community dinners. Sometimes pot luck, others have 2-3 menu items you can order.
Every park close to or in a city has fast food delivery to the site.
Thousand Trails in Fair Play SC used to have weekly pot lucks.. I made signs for them adverrtising the event. Were pretty good but then came New Managers and then Covid and well.

Ya gotta get a Jalama Burger at the store while camping at Jalama Beach Campground North of Santa Barbara CA…
Butch

Ordered a pizza at a State Park in TX that would deliver right to our site. But, remembering how tricky it was for *us* to find the site and now it's dark, I intercepted the delivery at the front gate.

We have stayed at a few commercial campgrounds with an on site restaurant of one type or another. A few include a lake front former KOA that we occasionally stop at about 120 miles west of where we live (It makes a good stop if we depart from home mid day) with a water side restaurant by the boat ramp. Another is the cafe at the former KOA by I-10 just east of Fort Stockton, Texas, though probably the most interesting was at Black Barts Steak House by Black Barts RV park in Flagstaff, AZ, the place has singing waiters that put on a nightly stage show (most of the staff are students at the local university), worth doing, though the food was not impressive. In addition to that we also stayed at Cool Pines RV park near Cloudcroft, New Mexico a few year ago, where they had some type of complimentary food items for the guests about every other day, cookies, fresh baked cinnamon rolls every Saturday, local apple dipping social on Wednesday, etc. I am sure there have been others, but these are the ones that come to mind, thinking about it there have also been a couple with free donuts in the morning (incentive to get people up and moving early?), The Big Texan RV park, just down the road from the Big Texan steak house (free shuttle service) is one, another was in Harrison, Arkansas

We stayed at a pace in Torrey, UT in late August 2020. I think there was one other rig in the park. They had a burger, pizza and beer joint in the campground. Some locals would come in and decided we didn't want to cook so we bought a burger and pizza figured we have potluck and have leftovers. Both were good and price was very reasonable. There was also a large full service restaurant, with white table cloths, and motel on premises. I looked at a menu and they had a large selection of everything. Sounded good but they were closed that night.

I recall a few KOA's having some food facilities on site during our travels. We're usually getting in too late or already have a meal planned.

We do sometimes order local pizza though. We typically look to the campground's flyer for a nearby place. We've had some really fantastic pizzas!

And one really bad pizza. Nebraska. While staying at a KOA, but the pizza place was not affiliated. Ordered a pepperoni pizza and a salad with Italian dressing, for delivery. Hard to mess up, right? The pizza was disgusting and came with dabs of cream cheese all over it. (What in the heck?) The salad was regular salad, but their version of "Italian" was basically vegetable oil dumped on it with some italian bread seasoning mixed in. Bleh. That's the last time I'm ever taking a chance on pizza in the middle of the country for sure. We ended up throwing almost all of it away!

Back
Top Bottom