French Fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: I know, but you said, "Imagine a chip 1/2" square..." I imagine a square/cube/rectangle as having 6 sides; if it only had 4 sides it would be 2-dimentional and would belong in the realm of science fiction. :sneaky:
Got ya, sorry I should have explained better. I meant 1/2" each side by whatever length the spud is. To us Brits that's 1/2" square, if it was 1/2" X 1/2" X 1/2", that would be a cube😋

That's not what I was reacting to. "Thick chips" of the same length as a "thin chip" have a larger surface area, not half.

Hmmm... I'm entirely too lazy to do the math but arguably a thinner fry means more fries per order - think of a cup of fries or a "flute" of fries like McDs. So by volume or by weight I think it is gonna be pretty close.

Also I think the hot oil penetrates the whole fry. The test is to take various cuts of fries, thin, thick. wrinkled, etc and weigh the oil before and after frying.

Oh, oh, oh.... I'll take a "bite" at this one!

Slice the onion and make the rings.

Now, make a very THICK pancake batter. We started using Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake mix a long time ago. BUT! Add an extra egg (or 2) and use whole milk .... not 2% or skim (yuck!).

Make the batter real thick, like cement mix. Dry the onion ring with a paper towel and then dip it into the pancake mix.

Now deep fry in a fryer vat until golden brown.

The pancake mix will NOT taste like pancakes. And oh my, is that one good onion ring!

I love onion rings but I am a breadcrumb crust kinda guy.

One thing you can get in Australia is a potato pancake. Depending on geography also called Potato Fritters. I always knew them as scallops. I may try this batter and see how it comes out.

1699481818410.png

From Google

People also ask

Why are thin chips more fattening?
The greater surface area to volume ratio from thin cut or crinkle cut chips results in a proportionally larger absorption of fat.

So there ya go!

And breadcrumbs on onions rings? Nope. Nearly break your teeth trying to eat those!

Hmmm... I'm entirely too lazy to do the math but arguably a thinner fry means more fries per order - think of a cup of fries or a "flute" of fries like McDs. So by volume or by weight I think it is gonna be pretty close.
I wasn't talking about flutes, cups or buckets. I was merely comparing a single 'fat' fry with a single 'thin' fry, both the same length but different thickness. No math needed to figure out which has the greatest surface area.

The 'fat' fry also has a greater volume, and so is able to absorb more fat.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about flutes, cups or buckets. I was merely comparing a single 'fat' fry with a single 'thin' fry, both the same length but different thickness. No math needed to figure out which has the greatest surface area.

The 'fat' fry also has a greater volume, and so is able to absorb more fat.
Not disagreeing at all on the chip by chip basis.

But one McDs skinny fry? Who can stop there - LOL...

Last edited:
not what you think.........
I couldn't understand a word. I do not speak or understand British. I first discovered that when I was in London in Y2K.

But Tommy had no problem. He went to High School in Northen Ireland (in Armagh), but his guardian lived in West Malling (around 40 miles from London).

In fact, when I first met Tommy in 1974, his British accent was a lot worse than his Cantonese accent.

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language."
-George Bernard Shaw

-Don- 79765

Curry fries would knock my socks off. I love good Indian curry sauces.

Garlic fries are also good. There's a place that does them locally. I sweat garlic for days after eating them, it's awesome.
The Desert Bar near Parker serves a killer version of garlic fries. I usually stop in the area on my way through so I can hit there and also a Mexican place I like in Parker.

I've also seen the term used to describe, uh, ladies of the evening shall we say.
I learn something new every day. Answered that one here:

IMHO, the fries are the only thing McD's can lay claim to that is edible on their menu.
It was many years ago, but I got some really lousy fries from the MCD in Pacifica, CA. They were not so consistent back then as they are now between the different MCD's. I would say these days the MCD fries are perfect everywhere.

MCD also has very good coffee these days and it will no longer cause 3rd degree burns.

But for everything else, I prefer Carl's Jr or Wendy's.

-Don- Robert Lee, TX

Me. Yuk. I hate McDs

IMHO, the fries are the only thing McD's can lay claim to that is edible on their menu.

Just when you think you are eating just cut potatoes,, As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story"

As a product of the 60's I get a Mickies urge every couple of months. I remember the big mac with the carboard skirt to keep it assembled - before the Styrofoam containers. We ate fast food so rarely as a kid it was like Christmas to get a big mac in its gift box - LOL...

All mickies food has a shelf life of like 10 minutes. Especially the fries. Future archeologists will dig up our cars and find perfectly intact dehydrated mickey fries under the seats. Just add water and heat them up - LOL...

Nother better than getting your order with freshly cooked fries. Noting worse than fries that have been in the warmer 10 minutes.

1699620914399.png

1699620971060.png

Last edited:
As a product of the 60's I get a Mickies urge every couple of months. I remember the big mac with the carboard skirt to keep it assembled - before the styrofoam containers.

All mickies food has a shelf life of like 10 minutes. Especially the fries. Future archeologists will dig up our cars and find perfectly intact dehydrated mickey fries under the seats. Just add water and heat them up - LOL...

Nother better than getting your order with freshly cooked fries. Noting worse than fries that have been in the warmer 10 minutes.
The last job I had before I went in the AF ('71) was as a grill man at a McDonalds. The old McDonalds, with the red and white tile building with giant yellow arches and no inside seating. All burgers were cooked by hand, on a big flat top. The Big Mac was 6 months old (and a PITA to assemble in those cardboard sleeves), the quarter pounder wasn't even on the menu yet, the apple pies were served with filling that would burn the skin right off of your tongue, and the store I worked at had just changed from fries made in-store from whole potatoes to frozen fries (still had all the equipment to peel, clean and slice the potatoes). The man who owed the store I worked at built the first McDonalds with inside seating in the San Jose, CA. area.

That being said, I'll also occasionally get a hankering for McD's. My usual meal will be a Filet-O-Fish and a large fry. Once in a while I'll do a Big Mac.

We just visited the McD in Phoenix my wife worked at when she was 16. Same thing, no seating, serve through the window. She made $1.60/hr and you could get burger/fries/coke and change back from your dollar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom