Freshwater Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackCat

We are new to RVing. We have a 2020 Thor Quantum. We are on a month-long journey. The first 5 stops, the water system worked fine. The next stop, hooked up and all we got was air shooting out with just a little water, then no water! The pressure at the hose bid was good. The water hose is new and the flow from it is good. We removed our pressure regulator and filter. There is no water leaking under the RV. Still just air and a little water, then nothing. Any suggestions? What other troubleshooting could we do? Is there a valve that we could have hit accidentally? Thanks for help

We are new to RVing. We have a 2020 Thor Quantum. We are on a month-long journey. The first 5 stops, the water system worked fine. The next stop, hooked up and all we got was air shooting out with just a little water, then no water! The pressure at the hose bid was good. The water hose is new and the flow from it is good. We removed our pressure regulator and filter. There is no water leaking under the RV. Still just air and a little water, then nothing. Any suggestions? What other troubleshooting could we do? Is there a valve that we could have hit accidentally? Thanks for help
Sorry, It's the City Water, not the Fresh Water holding tank and pump. They are still working fine. Thanks

The fact that it works on fresh tank and pump a) narrows down where the problem can be and b) keeps the problem from making you end your trip early.

Always make sure your outdoor shower faucets are off. I don’t see how that could have anything to do with your problem, but leaving them open will cause you problems getting hot water. And since you’re new to RVing, I thought I would mention it.

Somebody who knows a lot more about plumbing will be along soon.

I would look at where the city water hose connects to RV. There is a screen there. Maybe it is plugged? They usually pop out with a small screwdriver etc.

ok, we took out the little screen, it was clean. We pushed on the thing inside, air came out with a little water. We put the screen back in, hooked backup, still just a stream then nothing.
:)Thank you for the suggestion. Is there anything else you can think of for us to troubleshoot?

There are two possible answers and one is very very unlikely.

One .. (The less likely one and easily tested) the line was purged for winter and you are the first person to hook to it.. To Test. Unhook open spigot and see if you get air or water. (Water good. If air Problelm found)

Two (more likely) the water pump is on and sucking air from an empty fresh tank the pressure at the spigot is not high enough (or you are using a regulator that is set lower than the pump or one of the cheep 3/4" cylinder type regulators so the pressure goes down and the pump pushes air into the line.

Soultion 1 Turn off pump
Solution 2 Better regulator
My personal ragints
Those 3/4 inch jobs JUNK
Watts 3/4" "Whole house" or Zurin 3/4" with hose adapters (Thes have a bell shaped upper housing I set the adjustment to 50 PS) 10
Sure Flo RV type (This is the one that's built into many RV's or you can get it in an "inline" Same exact regulator. no benzel and a hose fitting screwed onto the outlet) I give it a 9

Valterra adjustable: I have not tried but others say nice things about it.

Note both my Watts. (Which finally wore out) and the ZURIN which replaced it were 3/4 inch pipe thread.. I could have gone with 1/2 inch but alas. MORE EXPENSIVE!

Is there a valve that we could have hit accidentally?
No valve I know of that would not also affect the pump operation.

Based on what you've told us, it seems that something has clogged the city water inlet. It has a check valve inside and most of them are rather skinny. My next step would be to remove the city inlet and either flush it out or replace it. They aren't expensive, but it's often a pain to get at to do what should be a simple task.

The fact you are getting air in the lines means something is pressurizing the system with air, and whatever that is continues to run while you are connected to shore water supply as otherwise the shore hookup would push all the air out in a couple of minutes at most, more likely seconds. Most likely this might be your water pump running pumping from a dry fresh water tank, or you may have a winterizing bypass valve open, allowing it to suck air from the winterizing anti-freeze inlet.

Having said that if it had never worked, then perhaps it might be a factory assembly issue where someone cross connected a air compressor with the plumbing system, unlikely, but possible with RV quality control.

Back
Top Bottom