Gen shuts off unless “start” held down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can believe it. Common for the brushes and commutatator to get corroded if sitting. The control module will shut the generator down if it does not produce proper power.

Last edited:
The generator must see 120v in order to stay running. If not it will immediately shutdown when the switch is released.
This is true and is why the dealer is recommending the cleaning of the slip rings.

Not sure why people don't use generators to keep them running. I run my as often as possible and for a half hour or better at a time. Propane so it never fails to start. Gas ones need to be operated to keep the carbs from gumming up.

Charles

Dirty slip rings is a possible cause - the controller will shut down if power is not being produced as it should be. But it's not the only possible reason for a shutdown, so take that advice with a bit of skepticism. Other causes have already been mentioned here, so I won't repeat.

Not sure why people don't use generators to keep them running. I run my as often as possible and for a half hour or better at a time. Propane so it never fails to start. Gas ones need to be operated to keep the carbs from gumming up.

Charles
At least 1/2 hour under at least 1/2 load every month.. Or so I was taught and the total number of problems I had with my Onan in the time I owned it.. 2.. Both the same (out of gas) easily fixed by a visit to the fuel pump.

When running mine to charge the battery, I also run the water heater, whether I need hot water at the moment or not. Less heating later on with LP, and provides a load on the genny.

Charles

Hello all,

I finally had a chance to run a couple of tests.

1) My generator runs GREAT as long as I keep pressing the “start” switch at BOTH the generator and inside the carriage. YES I understand that pressing the “START” switch keeps the starter engaged (that’s for those that want to warn me about possibly burning out the starter).

2) As soon as I let go of “Start” it just shuts off as if I am pressing “Stop”.

It turns out there is absolutely NO voltage output from the generator side of this Onan generator. The ENGINE side is working fine.

If I were still working as an ASE certified automotive repair technician I would take the generator out and rebuild it. But unfortunately I had to have both my hips replaced due to osteoarthritis and I just can’t get around like I used to.

Hello all,

1) My generator runs GREAT as long as I keep pressing the “start” switch at BOTH the generator and inside the carriage. YES I understand that pressing the “START” switch keeps the starter engaged (that’s for those that want to warn me about possibly burning out the starter).

It turns out there is absolutely NO voltage output from the generator side of this Onan generator. The ENGINE side is working fine.

If I were still working as an ASE certified automotive repair technician I would take the generator out and rebuild it. But unfortunately I had to have both my hips replaced due to osteoarthritis and I just can’t get around like I used to.

He's probably talking about cleaning corrosion off the slip rings using a tool like the "Slip Stick" sold by Flight Systems. I have a couple of them and they work well.

Hello NY_Dutch,

It sounds like you actually know what you are talking about.

(Unlike a lot of the replies I am getting in these forums. Sorry, I just had to say that (LOL). But it’s free right, what can I expect.)

Anyway, thank you VERY much for your reply and help with my generator issue.

So, there IS a special tool for hopefully cleaning the stator without disassembling the whole generator?

I will check that out just as soon as possible. (Smile)

I was about to offer some suggestions based on years of experience but not wanting to offend you further I will stay out of this one. :rolleyes:
Captain Kirk,

I apologize, I knew I should NOT have said that. And it’s not you personally.

The only reason I posted my issue is because I had no choice.

The only reason I even have this Motorhome is because my daughter and her husband bought it and then decided they did not want it. So she offered it to me.

I had a successful business from 2008 until Covid doing IT (computers). Now, I am renting a 12x12 foot room for $750 a month. But at least I am not homeless like a lot of people these days (smile).

Unfortunately, currently, I can not afford to pay someone to diagnose this generator. So instead I posted my issue in this forum hoping someone had experienced this same issue.

About half of the replies are helpful but about forty percent are as if “that person” did NOT even read the issue completely. I even posted pictures with complete details. (Sigh).

But it is, what it is.

Anyway, I apologize for offending you and/or anyone.

All normal. Got to just go with the flow. And, there are many different issues that could fit your problem description.
Good luck with the repair.

Hello all,

Voltage regulator. If the generator doesn't see 120 volt it will instantly shutdown.

You won't be able to clean the stator ring in the 4K with the generator in situ. They're buried in the generator. They rarely have this issue with the 4K due to their location deep within. If the shop is 'recommending' it that is a guess on their behalf. And an expensive one at that. Did they hook it up to a G-Man 360?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsh
Back
Top Bottom