Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawnski0414

I have a 2007 Georgetown 350. Will the generator start with house batteries removed and plugged into shore power? I took them out to replace and tried to start generator and it turns over but won’t start. Thanks

Doubtful, it needs the batteries for starting current and trying to start it without the batteries is like trying to start your car with the battery removed and a battery charger powering the car. You are seriously overloading the power converter trying to start the genny.

Charles

In newer model years the generator usually starts & runs from the engine (chassis) batteries, so yes. You say the starter cranked, so you proved that. The generator needs 12v for both starting (cranking the starter) and continuous running (power for its electric fuel pump). Probably some other reason its not starting.

However, with the house batteries out the bridge that charges engine battery from 120v power may be disconnected. In that case, the generator would likely run the engine battery down after a few hours because it is drawing power from it but not replacing any (charging).

Will the generator start with house batteries removed and plugged into shore power? I took them out to replace and tried to start generator and it turns over but won’t start
In most cases the answer is no, as was yours. The starter draws too much current for the converter to be able to supply it without the batteries. You probably have a generator that is started by the coach batteries, as used to be pretty standard.

In most cases the answer is no, as was yours. The starter draws too much current for the converter to be able to supply it without the batteries. You probably have a generator that is started by the coach batteries, as used to be pretty standard.
That's the way it is in my 92 Pace Arrow . It starts on the house battery .

I forget the exact date but sometime in the early 2000's the RVIA revised their construction standards to recommend (or maybe require?) that onboard generators start from the chassis batteries. The date isn't important since we already now the OP was able to crank his generator without having house batteries installed..

Mine could be started either way on my 2005 actually 3 ways.> Wired to the house if they were low the Emergecy Start/Boost switch was bi-directional and that solenoid got power via a pair of diodes so either battery could close it (if I recall the diagram properly) One time the isolator failed to isolate. I jump started the Generator.. SUCCESS. some minutes later.. Varoom

Just my two cents on RV Generators, If while driving you have your House A/C and appliances on and you hear the Generator "STOP RUNNING" as many RV's use diesel and generators use Diesel. When you are low on FUEL the Generator will Stop running to save fuel for the RV to make the next fuel stop.

A new stand-alone Generator won't start without adding one quart of oil. That is another safety feature. In Florida, a generator should be run for 15 minutes once a month because of possible rust inside the cylinders.

I have always felt that all-new service centers for fuel should be equipped with standby generators in times of emergency when electrical power is out, to keep the fuel pumps running. Ture before a Hurricane hits you should fill your fuel tank.

I'm not sure if all do this but Honda stand-alone can be hooked or pared together to double the output.

If while driving you have your House A/C and appliances on and you hear the Generator "STOP RUNNING" as many RV's use diesel and generators use Diesel.
That is also true of most gasoline powered motorhomes, since they use from the same tank. A few of the lower end diesels have used propane powered generators to save a few bucks, but I'm not sure that is still being done. I have never seen a propane fueled generator in a gas chassis RV.

I forget the exact date but sometime in the early 2000's the RVIA revised their construction standards to recommend (or maybe require?) that onboard generators start from the chassis batteries. The date isn't important since we already now the OP was able to crank his generator without having house batteries installed..
My Onan genset starts from the 1999 chassis battery bank, this battery bank also powers the HWH leveling and slide extension system.
The reason? Normally the coach battery bank is deep cycle batteries and will not supply the amperage inrush required by a starter motor.
HWH even says to have the drive engine running to insure the pump motor receives above 12.6V minimum.

the coach battery bank is deep cycle batteries and will not supply the amperage inrush required by a starter motor.
As an example, a 4K microlite genset has a 300cc engine. Turning one of these over doesn't take a large CCA battery. The battery to turn over a motorcycle engine several times this size you can carry with one hand. Even a pokey deep cycle battery can supply plenty of current to start a small by comparison engine.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Normally the coach battery bank is deep cycle batteries and will not supply the amperage inrush required by a starter motor
That just depends on the age of the motorhome and the condition of the batteries. On both my 1987 Allegro and my 1998 Cruise Master had generators that started from the coach batteries. On the rare occasion that it was needed, I simply held the "Emergency start" switch down to cross connect the chassis battery to jump start the generator. I also did the same to jump start the chassis engine with a boost from the coach batteries.

It does seem that they have shifted the majority(if not all) to the chassis battery, but the emergency start switch still allows use of both sets of batteries to start either engine. An RV service manager recently told me that the change was partly due to the larger onboard generators most RVs have today require a higher starting current.

Using the chassis battery only makes sense. Which set of batteries are you most likely to run down? Coach of course, while you are camping, and then you cannot expect it to start a generator IF really low (but as Mark noted, it don't take much to start a generator). Having the generator start off the engine battery also allows you to have the engine running, thereby boosting the voltage and amps some more.

Charles

Having the generator start off the engine battery also allows you to have the engine running, thereby boosting the voltage and amps some more.
With both of my class A RVs that had the generator start from the coach batteries, if it was too low to crank I simply started the chassis engine, then held the emergency start switch for 30 seconds or so and then started the generator. The advantage of that was that the one time that my chassis battery failed, I was able to first start the generator, then hold the emergency start switch for a bit and then crank the chassis engine. I suspect that was the original plan when the RIVA standard was to start the generator from the coach battery. Either way, the key is a working cross-connect switch.

Back
Top Bottom