HWH jack problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mweber (KC9NPT)

I have one jack that always go down OK, but most of the time it won't retract. Any ideas why?

Have wiped the piston with WD-40 silicone spray. I know I need to check fluid level.

We have HWH jacks that retract with spring tension, and when when we first got our coach, one of our jacks took forever to retract. I contacted HWH and they said the jack was considered within spec if it retracted within 50 minutes. (Yes, 50) There was no way I was going to wait nearly an hour for a jack to retract, so I checked around and got several suggestions - stronger springs, silicon spray etc.

Some claimed that straight WD40 shouldn't be used on the struts, because it could damage the rubber seals in the jack. Others said it was okay. I finally tried it and that jack has retracted within about a minute ever since - and its been 11 years. I spray all the struts about every six months and no problems at all. Try straight WD40 - not the silicon version.

Kev

Last edited:
HWH specifies WD-40, _not silicon or teflon_. That said, the purpose is to clean the pistons, not really to lubricate anything. You could, theoretically, lubricate the seals with ATF since that's the jack fluid used.

On a kickdown jack it's important to keep the hinges lubed.

Thanks for all the replies.
Turns out it was just low fluid. Removed the cap and dipstick had no fluid on it. Had HWH fluid and filled to full mark on dipstick, lowered all 4 jacks, sprayed good with WD40 and they work better than they have for years.
Thanks again.

I wipe mine down with a clean cloth, then I pour some of the hydraulic fluid I carry, to keep the level correct, on a second clean cloth and wipe down each one again. I do the same for the slide rams. I only do this when the rig has been parked for awhile, I visually check them for overnighters or weekend trips.

I wipe mine down with a clean cloth, then I pour some of the hydraulic fluid I carry, to keep the level correct, on a second clean cloth and wipe down each one again. I do the same for the slide rams. I only do this when the rig has been parked for awhile, I visually check them for overnighters or weekend trips.
HWH states to never use hydraulic jack oil or brake fluid in their systems. Either use HWH oil or Dextron III.
reference: Frequently Asked Questions – HWH® Corporation

I'm sorry for the confusion. I use the transmission fluid stated in the manual for my LCI leveling system. I have about half a gallon on hand to keep the system at the proper level. That is what I pour on a clean cloth and wipe down the jacks with.

Back
Top Bottom