I-95 south in South Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawntan

Did anybody pass I-95 in South Carolina lately ? Is it true that the interstate there is full of potholes
I'm planning to pull RV with my Jeep, and I do not want to damage either my jeep or my RV trailer hitting pot holes at high speed
If it is true, I need to find alternate route
I am planning to pull my RV from Massachusetts to Florida and drive along I-95 south

I 81 instead. Way better than I95.
I-81 isn't much use for actually getting to Florida.
But, It's great to get around the NYC-Balt-DC Megopolis, pick up I-77 in Virginia to Columbia,SC, and then, US-301 is a decent run all the way south to Ocala, Florida

We used that route back and forth between Port Saint Lucie and Boothbay Harbor several times.

Last edited:
Did anybody pass I-95 in South Carolina lately ? Is it true that the interstate there is full of potholes
I'm planning to pull RV with my Jeep, and I do not want to damage either my jeep or my RV trailer hitting pot holes at high speed
If it is true, I need to find alternate route
I am planning to pull my RV from Massachusetts to Florida and drive along I-95 south
Welcome to the forum.
What are you calling high speed? Most rv tires are rated for 65 Max and no more
I went down there 2 weeks ago,. There are no potholes. For a car, it’s fine. For towing a rv, it sucks. I did it several years ago and had to stop. One trip I had a blow out. It’s tough on tires because the road is concrete and the pads are not even. So it’s always thump thump and thump. The sides of the road is littered with pieces of tires lt’s that way from the NC line and almost all the way to the GA line. Take 81, then 77 then 26 to get you back on 95.

I did I95 to DE and back (from Jax) about 8 weeks ago. I didn't clock any stretches that I thought were "terrible" but it depends on your definition of terrible.

My measure stick is I75 which has been terrible for 40+ years (especially from Cincinnati to Dayton - LOL...

We live in SC and affectionately call SC the pothole state. It isn't just 95 that is in bad shape. But 95 is in worse than bad shape. We now travel 301 which does have issues in some areas but is a better alternative. And the major delays and traffic backups are fewer on 301. Unfortunately many of the major highways in the U.S. are in pretty bad shape. Chuck

Unfortunately many of the major highways in the U.S. are in pretty bad shape. Chuck
And if the trucking industry can pay off enough politicians it's going to get worse. They're proposing raising the weight limit from 80,000 to 91,000 lbs.

We live in SC and affectionately call SC the pothole state. It isn't just 95 that is in bad shape. But 95 is in worse than bad shape. We now travel 301 which does have issues in some areas but is a better alternative. And the major delays and traffic backups are fewer on 301. Unfortunately many of the major highways in the U.S. are in pretty bad shape. Chuck

I suppose you've never driven in Pennsylvania. There are more potholes than smooth road surface. When PennDot paves a road, they plant pothole seeds in the asphalt. Takes them about 6 months to germinateo_O

There are several sections of Interstate where the lengths of the slabs are perfectly measured so that our axles match the joints, and we bounce along in "perfect harmony" with the seams, Chunka-Chunka-Chunka for miles and miles, and miles.

We have taken to finding the best non-interstate options wherever possible.

I suppose you've never driven in Pennsylvania. There are more potholes than smooth road surface. When PennDot paves a road, they plant pothole seeds in the asphalt. Takes them about 6 months to germinateo_O
Michigan and Louisiana aren’t picnics.

I88 between Binghamton and Albany is like that. The road rises and falls between slabs. We did over 40 miles of porpoising. BUT, there no potholes!!!!

We traveled down to Florida and back to NC the first week of December. Aside from the construction currently going on from the I-40/I-95 intersection around Dunn, NC and Fayetteville, NC, the worst of the trip honestly has to the through SC on I-95.

The majority of the highway is concrete rather than asphalt, and while there are potholes, the majority of what I think make for a bad ride is all the concrete cracking and settling mostly in the right lane. While I absolutely hate camping out in the left lane for travel, I find myself there because the ride is noticeably better. I do return to the right lane as vehicles approach from the rear.

Through certain counties where the road changes over to asphalt, the ride is much better and quite enjoyable. I would love to say that this has happened over the last few years, but I-95 has been this way for over the last 20 years.

I keep seeing that SC is one of the southern states with a "new influx" of folks relocating... I truly hope that the new tax payers coming into the state would help contribute to the upkeep and better yet, the upgrade of the highways around the state.

And to answer your question, you'll be fine traveling I-95. You won't break anything on your way south just by riding on I-95.

South Carolina has been sitting on billions of dollars in federal road money but has chosen to not spend it on repairing highways. While there have been short sections repaired or repaved, I wouldn't expect and major improvements anytime soon. We now only use interstates when there are no other choice. BTW, South Carolina ranks last in the nation for road conditions. We live here so I can attest to that statement. Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom