Jack Bending Frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

We have been having a problem with the driver's side rear jack since just after we bought the Beaver.  We had it in once and the jack was repaired as it was "splaying" out and could not be retracted.  We noticed the problem again and took it in anticipating travel over Christmas.  Once the siding was removed the jack frame was found to be bent and the tech stopped there stating we'd have to figure this out next week.  It is a three point system, magnum chassis and has two slides on that side.  We have had some issues with soft soil in places we have stayed at but have followed instructions provided by the manufacturer.  What is going to take to repair this problem?  Is this a typical event with coaches?  I desire to avoid this in the future, what is happening here that we need to change?  Sure appreciate some info on this.
Phil

Jack problems like yours aren't unheard of, but aren't exactly common either. Sounds as though the supporting structure for the jack(s) is inadequate and will need to be beefed up with additional supports. I'd say it is time to call Monaco and cry on their shoulder a bit. If times weren't so tough for them, they would probably take care of a structural defect like that, regardless of warranty. In the present financial circumstances, you may be on your own. I'd still rather have the factory fix it then some unknown welder.

We had a front jack bracket bend when the jack apparently slipped off a rock.  We took the coach to HWH and they replaced the bracket and did a better job than the original installation.

Gary has given some very wise advice suggesting going to Monaco rather than just any welder.  I talked to an RVer that ended up with a very expensive repair to the engine electronics because he went to a weld shop that was not familiar with RV/s.

The jack manufacturer is probably another good choice for a fix, especially if it is their bracket that is bending.  Who is it? Power Gear? HWH, Equalizer? etc???

Does anyone have info on the performance of the Magnum Chassis over the years?  I am wondering if problems like this are common with this chassis.  We are having it looked at by a local frame man but will probably end up going to Oregon.  We cannot connect with Monaco until December as they are shut down for Thanksgiving.  Where could I look to research this chassis for technical details and performance?
Thanks,
Phil

We have heard this story for years. I have and hate the three jack or four jack manual  systems.Roadmaster (monaco) uses them in lower end units. All RV factories will state the  same thing, the systems are to be used for leveling only and not for JACKING!

Once the jack housing has been damaged, it needs replacing or rewelding with metal gussets added as Gary stated. Remember the labor rate  Monaco was $90 per hour. I have found authorized Reese  hitch shops who welding rate is much less. Welders who arc weld can ruin RVs by improper grounding as Ron stated. Give me a torch any day has long I have  Extinguisher's beside me.

Does anyone have info on the performance of the Magnum Chassis over the years?

This might be a hard question to answer because the Magnums were included in the purchase when Monaco bought Safari which used the Magnum chassis.  Monaco itself uses the Roadmaster chassis.  Not sure if they're still using the Magnum for lower end or Safari models.  Over the years leveling jacks have been put into question at various times because people weren't careful enough and twisted the chassis frame.  One issue that resulted was popping windshields out of place.  I'm certainly no expert on jacks but I would say that you should always make sure the jacks are on the ground regardless of whether it is a four-point or a three-point system.  I've always suspected that reported problems were related to the jacks being used improperly rather than a manufacturing problem.

ArdraF

Ardra every case of popping windshields that I have any first hand knowledge about were caused by just as you stated FAILURE TO FOLLOW MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS.

We have followed the instructions.  I think we had shifting soil which was what I think caused the problem. My concern with the Magnum Chassis is it being under engineered for the task.  It just not make sense that the chassis would be that sensitive to the use we have asked of it.  We have been relatively stationary so we have not been using the jacks once deployed.  A frameman came over today and looked at it.  We will be taking it over to a frame shop for 18 wheelers and he should be able to provide us an estimate and an opinion.  Whatever the cause I do not want to have it happen again.
Phil   

Monaco phased out all the Magnums within a year or two of takeover. I don't think it was because of any particular problems - just that they had their own chassis line (Roadmaster) and maintaining two different chassis families made no sense.  There may be some echoes of the Magnums in the low end Roadmasters (e.g. the RR4), but as far as I know the Magnum per se is no longer in use.

I've known people who had problems with Magnums, but I could say the same about any chassis brand.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the answers.  We are going to repair it locally and brace it like it should have been.  I'll just be more careful about loose soil.  Just seems way too sensitive to what we are asking of it.
Phil 

It doesn't seem to me that loose soil/sand  per se would be a problem, but uneven surfaces are.  It's lateral forces that bend jacks and lateral forces are generated by slanted sites or by uneven surface under the jack's "foot", where one edge of the foot contacts something solid and the other edge does not (a stone, tree root, etc.).  And lifting the rear wheels off the ground (or nearly so) lets the coach try to roll if parked on a grade, generating major lateral forces on the jack mounts and hydraulic ram. Yeah, the jack should be designed to handle those loads, which are common enough problems in leveling on camp sites, but not all of them are.

American Coach replaced the rams on my Equalizer jacks because the 1.25" rams were susceptible to problems like this on our 34k lb coach, even though each ram was rated for 12k lb vertical loads. The replacements had 1.5" rams.

In the days prior to the sale of Safari to Monaco they did not put support bars on the frame next to the rear shocks with some units.  This was related by a tech at Monaco.  I was able to check with a same model year Beaver as mine and he had the cross bar whereas I had none.  Could explain why.  Needless to say Monaco wanted nothing to do with its repair..  I suspect it to be a safety issue due to affecting handling and other related safety issues.  I was very disappointed Monaco could not be bothered to take a look if this is an issue.  Just ignore it and it will go away, we did not own Safari then.
Thanks,
Phil

Bad timing, Phil. In the past Monaco has been very generous with repairs to Safari & Beaver units, even those prior to their purchase. Good customer relations sort of thing. But in the current economy, I suspect they have had to severely curtail  spending money on fixes where there is no explicit warranty requirement to do so.    RV manufacturers aren't going to be giving much away for quite some time...

It may also very well be that Monaco planned for a certain amount of expense to correct Safari products manufactured before Monaco aquired them and that has been used up.  I have been impressed with the way Monaco supported the Safari products made before Monaco aquired them.  Sorry to hear Monaco will not correct the problem for you. 

I am concerned it may be a safety issue.  I am not an expert but one has to wonder how many Safari units are out there without the brace and tweaked frames.  We spent close to $2000 to correct the handling issues we had prior to the revelation the frame was the culprit.  The handling did improve but was dangerous prior to the improvements and is anticipated to deteriorate without further work. .  I was irritated by the gentleman I spoke with who was obviously multitasking when I spoke with him and gave me very little attention once he understood my complaint and concerns and he had stated that Monaco was going to do nothing.  I am sorry to sound so negative about this but if there are other folks who are considering a Beaver of our age be sure to check for the brace and if you own one take a look.  In the event we decide to replace this I will have a difficult time considering a Monaco product.  So much for the bitter part, we really enjoy the lifestyle and are thankful we discovered this problem before something major happened.
Phil

In the event we decide to replace this I will have a difficult time considering a Monaco product.

Phil, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally, I feel that Monaco has gone way overboard in supporting pre-Monaco-built products. I'm really sorry about your situation, but I'm also sorry that you would condemn Monaco in this way. No other RV company that I know of has supported out-of-warranty products as well as Monaco, as evidenced by my discussions with folks at Monaco service centers.

Good luck if you buy a different brand next time around.

Tom said:
Phil, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally, I feel that Monaco has gone way overboard in supporting pre-Monaco-built products. I'm really sorry about your situation, but I'm also sorry that you would condemn Monaco in this way. No other RV company that I know of has supported out-of-warranty products as well as Monaco, as evidenced by my discussions with folks at Monaco service centers.

Good luck if you buy a different brand next time around.

Tom,
We were not addressing a warranty issue, although it could be construed in part as warranty, as much as safety issues.  I intend to follow up with Monaco and perhaps they will look at this.  This is the first time I have ever asked anything of a manufacturer on an out of warranty/safety issue.  I am not an expert but I have information from people who are.  I did not like the way Monaco treated me and perhaps it is the man as he was just plain arrogant.  I am a relative novice in dealing with manufacturers and issues like this.  It just seems if I can see an issue why can't others?
I appreciate your advice.  Perhaps you could direct me to someone who will listen.  Its a difficult situation.
Phil

[quote author=motojavaphil ]We were not addressing a warranty issue...[/quote]

Neither was I Phil; I was specifically talking about 'pre-Monaco', and therefore 'out of warranty'.

I did not like the way Monaco treated me and perhaps it is the man as he was just plain arrogant.

Different issue. You have a right to be upset about the way you were treated personally; This is a training issue for the individual employee, and something you should complain to Monaco about. I'm sure they'd appreciate hearing from you. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Traveling Senior
Back
Top Bottom