KOFA 2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin Means said:
We were returning from a meeting south of Tucson a few days ago, and decided to stop in KOFA for a couple of nights. There were hardly any other RVs in sight, and as usual, it was beautiful. The low temps in January are usually in the low to mid 40s, and the highs are usually 65 to 75. It sometimes dips below freezing at night, but not very often.

How funny.  We came into town from Sedona last Thursday.  It was our intention to camp at KOFA for a few days until our reservation in town was due.  By the time I stopped for fuel at the Pilot east of town, I was done.  Only a 270 mile day, but we started late and I had lost my desire to boondock since my wife was not feeling the best.  Ended up calling Park Place, and our spot was already open and ready for us, so we're here in town until March.  Now I wish we'd gone on down there to the desert.

Old_Crow said:
How funny.  We came into town from Sedona last Thursday.  It was our intention to camp at KOFA for a few days until our reservation in town was due.  By the time I stopped for fuel at the Pilot east of town, I was done.  Only a 270 mile day, but we started late and I had lost my desire to boondock since my wife was not feeling the best.  Ended up calling Park Place, and our spot was already open and ready for us, so we're here in town until March.  Now I wish we'd gone on down there to the desert.

Is there any reason you cannot take a few days at KofA and come back? If the spot is yours for 4 months, do they care if you are there or not?

Lynx0849 said:
Is there any reason you cannot take a few days at KofA and come back? If the spot is yours for 4 months, do they care if you are there or not?

You know, technically, you'd think that was so, but I've heard horror stories of some people taking off and not being able to get back in.  I've not heard of it in this particular park, but not sure I want to chance it.  We'll see.
Lynn and I took the Jeep out yesterday to Horse Tank(which is right down the road from Kevin's spot.  There's an awful lot of people camped along King Valley road at this minute.  Hopefully some of them will have moved on by Jan.

Old_Crow said:
Lynn and I took the Jeep out yesterday to Horse Tank(which is right down the road from Kevin's spot.  There's an awful lot of people camped along King Valley road at this minute.  Hopefully some of them will have moved on by Jan.
They must be Thanksgiving weekend campers. The pictures in my previous post were from four days ago. The place was a ghost town.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
They must be Thanksgiving weekend campers. The pictures in my previous post were from four days ago. The place was a ghost town.

Kev

Maybe so.  There were RV's at every possible spot, including a couple of guys actually in the KOFA, up behind the mountain on the north side of the road, and a couple of guys with those pop up truck campers actually up the road to Horse Tank.

Looks like Diane and I will be there for a few days arriving on the 23rd. Might be bringing a buddy with me. Will be there for about 3 days then head back to start the next project at the house.

For those of you who are comin  to KOFA, we were able to get away a couple of delays early and we?re here - same place we always meet. There are a few others here too. Safe travels wherever you?re headed.

Kev

Hi KOFA Campers,

Haven't heard hide nor hair from anybody at the KOFA boondock setting. If you have any sitting by the campfire stories, attempting to light the campfire or falling over beer bottle stories, I'd sure be happy to hear what all is going on there. Helps others to attend virtually. Anyone plan to camp there again later on? Many thanks in advance. AL

Things are really nice at KOFA... finally. We?ve had two days in a row of nice weather, but the first few days were pretty crappy. There was even snow showers forecast for Quartzsite on Tuesday, but I don?t think it snowed.

We had 14 rigs here but most have lit out in the last couple days. Still six of us here now. We?re headed out tomorrow, but we?ll be back on Saturday. Garyb1st did NOT attempt to make another fire starting substance, so I just lit the campfire the old fashioned way. I have Sprint, so I have very poor cell service out here. When we get hone, I?ll attach some pics. Thanks to those who were camping at Quartzsite, who took the time to drive down and spend some time with us. Everyone appreciated it.

Kev

Great seeing the group this year.  Hope to spend more time next year and be able to hike to remote geocaches
Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

bill dane said:
Great seeing the group this year.  Hope to spend more time next year and be able to hike to remote geocaches  Bill Dane

And the group enjoyed your company Bill, -- everyone was happy that you decided to stop by.  The KOFA crowd has been down to 3 rigs for the last couple of days - me, Eric and Shari and Mark and Vicki Short.  Weather has been okay, kinda cool, with wind off and on, but is supposed to improve to full sun for the next 2 days.  It's still beautiful, and the mountains are still here changing character as the sun and clouds shift.  I picked up more wood in Q yesterday with plans to do another campfire on Sat or Sun night.  Kevin and Cyndi are due to arrive back on Sat. 

Shorts are headed back to Q on Monday I think, and I'm likely back in Q on Wednesday.

If anyone wishes to come visit, you can find my 30 ft Outdoors RV TT near the road on the left side about 1 or 1 1/4 mi in on King Valley Rd -- where Kevin normally parks (see directions in this thread).  Most of the time with a big red truck parked beside the TT.  Lots of room with great views available.

Linda

Dan - You 're just too sweet.  I did come to Q Wednesday, but I'm at Holiday Palms RV Park for a day in order to empty/rinse tanks, fill water, etc.  Why you ask?  Well, I just don't like that BLM dump station, and there is no way for me to rinse tanks (as manuf. instructs) which, when boondock parked for days on end, I do like to do.  Likewise, Texas RV has no rinse capability.  So I just did the next easy thing.

I'm moving to Roadrunner (La Posa Road) on Friday where I'll stay for next 10 days or so as there is little reason to pay the fees at Tyson Wash.  Except of course I'll miss parking with you and your better half.  However, I DO (and did) plan to look you up for a visit or two while I'm here.  Are Mark and Vicki or Pam and Kevin at Tyson Wash?  I'll come look for you at the rally area after settling in at Roadrunner.  Look forward to seeing ya.

Linda

Hey Linda,

We are parked right next to Dan at Tyson Wash. Been visiting on a daily basis  :)  So do come out for a visit soon. We had to make a trip into Phoenix today but are on our way back now. Pam and Kevin had left before we moved back to the Wash.

Vicki

PancakeBill said:
How come the Senior Pass has no effect on the LTVA fees?

Or do they and I should have asked?

Hi Bill

Here's what BLM has to say on the subject . . .

Long-Term Visitor Areas
Because LTVAs are special permit areas and not developed campgrounds, the Golden Eagle, Golden Age, Golden Access Passports, and America the Beautiful Pass discounts DO NOT apply to LTVA permit fees. 

As you can see, BLM has not updated this to the new names of the passes.

https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizona-colorado-river-do-california-california-desert-do/public-room-frequently-requested

Hope you and Jolene are well.
Linda

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom