LPG generator won’t start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey gang. We have a 2008 Winnie view with an Onan lpg generator and it seems like every time we refill the propane tank the gennie won’t start. It’ll crank but it won’t catch. I’ve been to the University of YouTube on this but it seems to have no knowledge on the subject. It’s time I consult the masters…..any ideas?
Thanks
Steve

Steve,
If it cranks, it is unlikely to be the lube oil viscosity.
It could be that the feed to the generator got shut off or that the tank is now marginally over full - thus shutting the feed off.
Do you have a way to crack open the vapor feed line to the generator to test for flow?
Matt

Possibly. I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

"If the oil is too thick (aka, the viscosity is high), your car "(as well as a generator)" may not start in cold temperatures (cold weather places more strain on a vehicle in any case). When this happens, the thick liquid can't properly lubricate every part, and it creates enough resistance to impair the most important function–ignition.Apr 29, 2019"

"Generally, running your generator in extremely cold temperatures will require a lower-viscosity oil, such as 5W-30, to ensure it will start."

Last edited:
They are supposed to close out outlets before filling the tank
Also the generator normally draws from the bottom of the tank and everything else fro the top. Thus if the tank is "Contaminated" it would affect the generator first.
I am NOT an expert in how to fix that.

Close the valve when filling, the slowly open the valve back up. If you think it's contaminated with water or oil you can get the tank purged. Does your gen use liquid or vapor?

On my '00 Bounder the valve goes to the line going out of the tank to the RV. The filler port is separate from the valve.

Do you have one or two valves on your propane tank, a valve for liquid and a valve for gas, or just one for gas?

High there! Not sure what you mean by liquid or vapor.
LP gas is stored as mostly a liquid but some of it turns to vapor while in the tank. So it's a reference to whether the LPG is taken from the tank as a liquid (piping at the bottom) or as a gas (piping at the top).

First thing to ALWAYS try on an Onan Propane generator that will not start is change the spark plug, and only use the OEM plug, usually this is a Champion brand plug repackaged for Onan. Do this even if you just changed the spark plugs a month or two ago.

If this does not fix it look at the propane regulator and get the vacuum tested on the delivery regulator using a manometer or magnehelic gauge.

I had the same Onan 3600LP in my 2007 Winnebago View and never had a minutes problem with it. Make sure that the oil is not too full. Mid range on the hashed area when you wipe the stick off, screw it in and unscrew it, better mid range or at the low limit than full.

For some reason, WBO never created LP piping drawings.

Has the OP attempted to start the generator from the generator itself? Open door, remove cover, use rocker switch to attempt to start.

If the OP will provide what model View (rear corner bed ie J model; or rear bunk bed ie B model; or jackknife couch/cab over bed ie H model) I can provide you links to the wiring diagrams & plumbing drawings for your model.

I highly recommend you down load these PDF files to a Thumb drive and carry them with you in the Black manuals and documents pouch.

I do recall that I think it was with the '08 models that WBO switched to Fairview regulators, and I know a lot of people on the View/Navion forum complained about problems with them. There is a Marshall Excelsior model that will replace the Fairview. THAT could be an issue is having marginal gas pressure.

There are one or two people who still own older Views that bought them new and know every trick in the book. Beginning with the '08 model I think you have an electric gas valve controlled by a switch on the levels and controls panel, make sure it is turned on. One of the members found that if a small magnet were attached to the solenoid valve it would take less current to hold it open, and not drain your battery while boondocking.

I highly recommend you join the View forums (three of them, general discussion forum, tech forum and mods forum) on groups..io

You have to join all three forums separately and be careful with your choice of settings or you will get swamped with emails. Folks there are very friendly and helpful.

discussion groups.io Group

discussion-tech groups.io Group

discussion-mods groups.io Group

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom