Thinking of switching to 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

We bought a new Cascade TT in 2021 with the idea of always having grandkids along on outings. It's a bunkhouse model. It seemed like the right choice at the time.
Now most of those kids are too old to hang out with grandparents, so now that it is mostly just the two of us,and we are both going to be retired soon, we're thinking about switching to a 5th wheel that is more geared towards two people, with an occasional guest or two.
Hoping to buy a used 5th wheel for near what I think we can get from selling the TT
My 2008 F250 2x4 is rated 9900# towing capacity. I saw one site that said 5th wheel capacity was 10,100#
The first rig we looked at had a GVWR of 10,000#, and it also set the bar for what we are looking for

What are the negatives of hauling a 5th wheel trailer that may be at the max capacity of the TV?

FYI, the F250 is a low mileage(70,000mi), well maintained truck, and we are not intending to replace.

Last edited:
Your limiting factor on that truck will be cargo capacity, not the combined weight rating. 2WD is a plus in that regard, even better if it is not a diesel. If that capacity number isn't on a door jamb decal or owners manual, you may have to weigh the truck at a cat scale to figure out your capacity off the GVWR. Pin weight on a 5th wheel is a lot heavier than a bumper pull, don't forget to add in the hitch when you weigh if you don't already have one installed.

Speaking of the hitch, I'm pretty sure your truck pre-dates the drop in puck systems found in later models. That may be another consideration. Installing either a 5th wheel or gooseneck ball is a bit more involved (and costly if you aren't DIY) on older trucks.
What are the negatives of hauling a 5th wheel trailer that may be at the max capacity of the TV?
Less safe handling and accelerated tire, brake, and chassis wear. Nothing wrong with doing that, provided you keep those things in mind while driving and stay within your comfort level. Of course, there are upgrades you can install to improve those negatives. You'd need to balance that cost and compromise against trading for a heavier duty truck.

I pulled a 11,000 lb max 5th wheel with my older 3/4 ton. Did fine. Just have to watch your speeds going down the road. Have since upgraded to a 1 ton. There are 8000 lb 5th wheels out there, but if your wife is like mine, it’s packed full with more crap than what’s needed. Of course, I loose that argument hence the 1 ton needed.

I'll tell you what an attorney friend and police officer friend told me about a similar situation. If you're ever involved in an accident...EVEN IF IT IS CLEARLY THE OTHER PERSON'S FAULT...if they have a sharp attorney who discovers that your rig was overweight...you will clearly be deemed at fault and responsible for any and all damages.

The police friend said "we rarely stop someone to check their weight, but if they're stopped for another infraction and we discover they're overweight - we have no option but to write them up."

So - in the words of the great Clint Eastwood, "You have to ask yourself one question...do I feel lucky?"

I've pulled both TT and 5th wheels. The 5th wheel handles so much better it's not even a close call. It's also easier to maneuver in the campground. It is way more stable on the highway, especially when a big truck passes.

The downsides are that a 30 ft 5th wheel costs more than a 30 ft TT and you lose the cargo space in the bed.

I have a 39 ft FW towed by a 1 ton F350 SRW. It tows like a dream. It has a 2700 lb pin wt (scaled).
My concern is your truck payload. By definition payload = GVWR - Truck Wt. This number is on a yellow placard on your B pillar of driver door. Or get the truck weighed and calculate.

Remember this payload includes the Pin Wt (typically 18% - 22% of FW GVWR) plus wt of FW hitch, all passengers, tools, firewood, snacks and toys carried in the truck.

Do not use factory pin wt or camper dry weight. Factory pin was are simply wrong. You never go camping with an empty dry wt camper.

With a F250, you will be limited to SMALL FW campers.

Note also that bumper pull campers only send 12% - 15% of their GVWR to the truck, so you can pull a much heavier and larger bumper pull than FW with your current truck.

The biggest factor in towing is being able to stop in an emergency so the bigger the tv the better. It is so much easier, safer, and less fatiguing to use a tv rated at twice the towing capacity of what you are towing than one that is maxxed out.

A big consideration are the laws in the state you live or travel through. Some states require special licenses esp when you are above a certain weight or to tow anything behind the 5th wheel. Some states charge plate fees as if you are a commercial truck driver when you tow an rv. I used to have to pay almost $1000 per year to register my rv before we moved. States are cracking down as i found out the hard way. I got a $2,000 ticket even though i was completely within all weight limits simply cause the sticker on the rv had the wrong number on it. They treated me like i was a criminal who did it intentionally when i did everything i could to follow the law. The drv people didnt even know what the rules were.

Ideally you could take the tv and rv to a weigh station and weigh it hooked up and disconnected. Weigh all axles and pin weight of the rv separately and then you can properly make sure you arent exceeding any weights. Not an easy thing i know.

knowing what i now know about 5th wheel construction i would never buy another one. I have seen too many where the kingpin fails over time because of how they were built. Personally i dont think rvs are engineered to withstand the weight that they are carrying. In theory the less weight the less problems but it isnt that simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyRVer
Back
Top Bottom