MB Hood Struts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty Traveler

Yesterday, I got my new Mercedes Benz "Sprinter" van Hood struts and was able to put them on myself. Being old does have its limitations and more so with the Florida heat in the 90s.

I was once proud of the fact that I could get my yard done in four days. That was walking and picking up any fallen oak branches from 23 live oak trees in the yard. Then I would mow, edge Vac up my fallen leaves, blowing off the walkways and driveway myself. But I must admit falling on, face onto the concrete was my first wake-up call, about getting old aging. I lay there on my face in my driveway for a few minutes assessing the impact as I don't move fast these days got my wife a bit shaken as I tried hiding my face, but the cuts and blood turned me in. I thought as I lay there, wow the hurt but I had been hit harder, as my face and nose had some cuts. But my glasses did not break. The wife now has me monitor the lawn crew as I'm learning YARD Spanish. One young man was showing me a Spanish APP and I showed him my Free Googe Translate remarking it's Free and his translator APP is $70. per year. We both laughed a bit as I told him if he bought more apps he may want to charge me more "dinero" (that is Spanish for money). In two hours the three gentlemen, on the Lawn crew have it all back to looking "hermoso" (Spanish for beautiful).
Looking at the two struts, and wondering which end was up and which was down. so, I found a video online and was told it would take 10 minutes. I did need to cut a board to hold up the hood of Greta's mouth and find the needed tools. Not adding that to my time it took me 11: minutes and 30 seconds. Yup getting old.

So here are some photos, what do you think?

Attachments

• Hood Strut 005.jpg
    Hood Strut 005.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Hood Strut 004.jpg
    Hood Strut 004.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Hood Strut 003.jpg
    Hood Strut 003.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Hood Strut 002.jpg
    Hood Strut 002.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Hood strut 001.jpg
    Hood strut 001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Is this an add on kit? My much older Sprinter had a sliding flat rod in a slot that latched when you lifted the hood and was very troublefree.

For replacements I've had very good luck with lift struts from Quality Gas Struts and Gas Springs | Lift Supports Depot

Charles
CharlesinGA; Truly, I would say a kit. I needed something to prevent someone from trying to close the hood, forgetting to release the holdup bar, and bending the HOOD. Which I'm sure would cost 10 times more than a kit to repair a bent Hood. Maybe, it would better be called a Preventive Hood Struts. lol Truly much easier to open and close the hood, whatever one would like to call it. But other than buying two struts you will need the special sized washers to fit the sprinter. For better details Click Here

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom