Motorcycle Track Days and RVing....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xrated

So, my wife and I have been heavily involved in doing motorcycle track days since 2005 and we've always had an enclosed trailer for hauling the bikes and gear to the track for the weekend, then staying in a nearby hotel on Friday night and Saturday night, then we return home on Sunday evening.  We've talked about getting a Toy Hauler and finally, last weekend we pulled the trigger  and purchased a Keystone Impact 303 for that.  Starting next season (2017) we will now be able to transport the bikes and gear to the track, stay at the track and have many of the comforts of home, without leaving the track for a hotel.

Sounds like a great plan, much more comfortable than motels.

Congratulations on the Impact. This is a good example of what I mean when I say that 'an RV is an enabler', i.e. it enables us to participate in numerous activities besides just RVing.

Congrats! What area are you in? I'm a trackday instructor in Texas and having a Toy Hauler is the greatest add-on to my addiction you can get!

We're at Circuit of The Americas end of this month!

Randy328 said:
Congrats! What area are you in? I'm a trackday instructor in Texas and having a Toy Hauler is the greatest add-on to my addiction you can get!

We're at Circuit of The Americas end of this month!

Hi Randy,  My wife and I live in "Murvil", TN......official spelling....Maryville.  We are both Instructors with Sportbike Track Time and are in the Southern Region.  She is actually retiring from coaching this year, but she went out in style....her last coaching day was at our October Barber event.  She is going to stay on staff for next year, working other jobs...registration, Incident Investigator, camp cook???? maybe.  I plan on continuing Instructing at least through next year...then it might be time to hang it up, it will just depend on how I feel (I'm 62 and she is 64 years old).  We are both very quickly approaching retirement age on our jobs, and when that happens, we plan on using the new Toy Hauler to do some travelling also, so I thought it would be a great addition to the track for next year and ????

hedhunter9 said:
We have been doing it for years....    Pulling a trailer behind our MH.

Bob

Are you talking about doing track days or just pulling a trailer behind the M.H. too?  If it's track days, who do you ride with and where.  I see that you are in Northern Indiana, so I'm assuming that you've been to Putnam if you are a T.D. guy.

xrated said:
Hi Randy,  My wife and I live in "Murvil", TN......official spelling....Maryville.  We are both Instructors with Sportbike Track Time and are in the Southern Region.  She is actually retiring from coaching this year, but she went out in style....her last coaching day was at our October Barber event.  She is going to stay on staff for next year, working other jobs...registration, Incident Investigator, camp cook???? maybe.  I plan on continuing Instructing at least through next year...then it might be time to hang it up, it will just depend on how I feel (I'm 62 and she is 64 years old).  We are both very quickly approaching retirement age on our jobs, and when that happens, we plan on using the new Toy Hauler to do some travelling also, so I thought it would be a great addition to the track for next year and ????

Cool! I'm in a similar boat, I'm 61 and have been doing this for quite a while, couple more years and then it may be time to relax a bit. I endurance raced with CMRA until last year in addition to working with Ride Smart. We did a few events at Barber several years ago but once we got COTA we quit traveling as much (we did Topeka and NOLA too). We do 6 different tracks just in Texas now.

I LOVE the Toy Hauler and what it gives me at the track!

Welcome to the forum. I used to do trackdays with either a RC51, or a CB1 400F. Now it's with 4 wheels. LOL 370Z Nismo. Having a camper/MH at the track makes things so much nicer.  ;D

https://youtu.be/UpulkkJTOX0

Randy328 said:
Cool! I'm in a similar boat, I'm 61 and have been doing this for quite a while, couple more years and then it may be time to relax a bit. I endurance raced with CMRA until last year in addition to working with Ride Smart. We did a few events at Barber several years ago but once we got COTA we quit traveling as much (we did Topeka and NOLA too). We do 6 different tracks just in Texas now.

I LOVE the Toy Hauler and what it gives me at the track!

STT does events at NOLA, but I've never been there.  It's almost a 12 hour drive for us, and I get up at 3:30 AM for work, so I'd have to take a vacation day for both ends of the trip.  My new favorite track is up in Bowling Green, KY....at the Corvette Museum complex....N.C.M..  I never got into racing, I started doing track days too late in life, but I can see where it would be way cool to do.  Glad you commented on the thread and good to see another track day junkie onboard.

Russ+Chris said:
Welcome to the forum. I used to do trackdays with either a RC51, or a CB1 400F. Now it's with 4 wheels. LOL 370Z Nismo. Having a camper/MH at the track makes things so much nicer.  ;D

https://youtu.be/UpulkkJTOX0

It's all good, as long as you are having fun doing what you're doing.  I did figure out years and years ago though, it's a lot cheaper to go fast on a motorcycle than it is with 4 wheels.  I figured that out back in the early 70s when I campaigned a drag bike locally.  High 11s 1/4 mile times on a bike in 1974 was pretty quick in the day.

xrated said:
It's all good, as long as you are having fun doing what you're doing.  I did figure out years and years ago though, it's a lot cheaper to go fast on a motorcycle than it is with 4 wheels.  I figured that out back in the early 70s when I campaigned a drag bike locally.  High 11s 1/4 mile times on a bike in 1974 was pretty quick in the day.
I can't afford to crash on a bike now. Have too much Ti in my body.  :eek: Pins in foot, and a hip replacement.  :eek: Yea, a car is $$$ to track, but my need for speed is better satisfied on the track.

OK, so I finally got around to posting up a couple of pics, after talking to Tom for info on how to do that.....Thanks Tom, I appreciate ya. 
So here is a picture of me at the new track in Bowling Green, KY, located across the Interstate from the National Corvette Museum, and aptly named... N.C.M for National Corvette Motorsports Park.  The second picture is of my wife Peggy, who moves pretty well on the track. This picture was taken at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, AL and she was coming through the last turn and onto the front straight.  She was 62 years old when this pic was taken.....she's my hero!

If you look closely at her bike, she has got it leaned over far enough to see the "Honda" decal on the Opposite side (left side) of the bike.  She ain't skeered!

And finally, a pic of the two of us in the morning while helping out with registration, doing bike tech, and just having some fun before the start of the actual on track sessions.

Attachments

• 11231932rvforumsize.jpg.jpg
    11231932rvforumsize.jpg.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1456011rvforumsize.jpg.jpg
    1456011rvforumsize.jpg.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 11231932rvforumsize.jpg.jpg
    11231932rvforumsize.jpg.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 29
That takes me back, both as a rider and as a race spectator! Grew up on the back of my Dad's motorcycle, and bought my first when he was on vacation; When he complained, I asked about his 19 machines  ;D  My oldest son followed, competing in off-road motorcycle races.

When I pass a nice bike outside a store, I'm often tempted to hop on, but know that this would not be a good idea for me  :(

Tom said:
That takes me back, both as a rider and as a race spectator! Grew up on the back of my Dad's motorcycle, and bought my first when he was on vacation; When he complained, I asked about his 19 machines  ;D  My oldest son followed, competing in off-road motorcycle races.

When I pass a nice bike outside a store, I'm often tempted to hop on, but know that this would not be a good idea for me  :(

19 huh.....WOW......I've never had more than 8 at one time in the garage, and that was the total between the two of us.  My dad had a bad experience on a bike when he was a teenager (a brother-in-law scared the crap out of him) and when I wanted my first one, he and mom forbid it as long as I was living in their house.  My senior year of high school (1971), our church got a new preacher and he had a son my age who owned a Honda 350 SL.  When I saw that, I asked "How bad can they be, even a preacher's kid has got one?"  I got my first one about 2 weeks later!  ;D

Yea, most motorcyclist don't appreciate someone just hopping on their bikes without permission....kind of an unwritten rule I guess.  I've heard of people getting their butts beat for doing such, and knock on wood, I've never experienced coming out of a store or ?? and finding someone on my bike.  I probably wouldn't react to it very well.  Common courtesy should prevail, but sometimes that isn't so common these days.

I've never experienced coming out of a store or ?? and finding someone on my bike.

I was referring to bikes on sale outside the store. If I hopped on one, I'd be tempted to buy one, and that would not be a good idea for me.

It wouldn't enter my head to hop on someone's personal bike  ???

Please don't think I was implying the YOU would, but there are others out there that just don't have any common sense.....or respect for other folk's property.  Ah the temptation of sitting on one.  I've been there and done that and then fought like crazy to not buy one.  My present track bike, a 2008 Suzuki GSX-R750 was kind of like that.  I had thought about making the move from a Honda CBR600RR (which was my track bike for the last 5 years) over to one that was a little more HP and faster.  I looked at some online, found one that was mostly already set up for the track and went and looked at it.  Done/over/bought!  Sometimes I just don't have any willpower!  8)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom