No-see-um screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnandcarol

Last winter we had some trouble with no-see-ums in Florida. Had to use the A/C on nights when we really didn't need it.  Was thinking of changing out the stock screening with finer "no-see-um" screens.  Has anybody done this and is it worth the effort?

Lived in Florida for years and the little buggars can fly through a brick wall....

I did change my screens and it helped a bunch - so did a daily dose of Brewers Yeast Tablets - they left me alone and so did most people, but it works...

Also 50/50 cut of Avon Skin So Soft and water - also put a dryer sheet in your hat....

Good Luck,

Jim

We did that about 16 years ago and it does work.  Then we just stopped going to FL and that also solved the problem :)

30 years in Florida, in professional pest control: 

I would not advise any of my clients to buy them. 

Way to expensive for value received.

My wife, with the help of her brother, installed the screening to all of our windows and it wasn't that expensive.  With the proper tool, the installation is not difficult.

A short lesson in No-See-Ums

Most people think they bite - but in reality they do not bite, instead they excrete a mild acid on the skin which is what you feel. The acid makes it possible for them to drive the 4 foot long sucker in to get the blood. They also have a needle-like sucker and a separate injector tube. Using the latter, these flies squirt a small amount of anticoagulant to keep the blood flowing. It is our body?s allergic reaction to this anticoagulant that produces the itch, which can linger for many days in some people.

Biting midges are attracted to carbon dioxide in respiration and lactic acid in perspiration. Those who perspire more and breath more heavily attract more biting insects. Lesson - don't breathe and don't sweat....

We call them flying teeth....

Oh the joys of living in Florida....BTW - they are also in SE Alaska...little buggers are everywhere!

Good Luck,

Jim

Wow, I have been in Florida for two and a half years and I have never experienced a no see um. I have gotten maybe three mosquito bites in that time period. Either I am lucky or I taste bad. :eek:

They are bad in some areas, not so much in others....

They can be bad in eastern NC where I grew up.  I remember as a kid working alongside dad.  I'd be swatting and whining the whole time, and itching for hours after.... but they wouldn't touch dad.  Never really figured out what it was.... maybe he's a bit hairier, or something he ate....???

SeilerBird said:
Wow, I have been in Florida for two and a half years and I have never experienced a no see um. I have gotten maybe three mosquito bites in that time period. Either I am lucky or I taste bad. :eek:

Tom, maybe they never get close enough to taste you.  ;D :eek: ::) ;)

Back
Top Bottom