Nova Scotia to Florida-Best Routes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello fellow Rivers..
Asking for a buddy of mine looking to take his first long road trip from Halifax Nova Scotia to Wildwood Florida in March. He has 25 ft class C and is looking for the easiest way to get there with some particular trip avoidances:
1. NYC
2. Washington DC
3. NJ turnpike
4. Baltimore
5. Getting back on the I-95 near Richmond VA
6. Ending in Wildwood, FL

I mentioned a few times for him to get a RV GPS or something, as he mentioned he would only be using google maps..I told him google maps will figure your driving a Toyota Corolla and won't factor in low bridge clearances or anything..With a trip that long, I told him to be proactive in this situation ahead of time.
This was the first place that came to mind when he mentioned his trip requests.
Any info on a trip plan would be greatly appreciated to show him.
Thanks,
Jacobi

All the places I try to avoid when heading south. Does your friend plan on driving to New brunswick and then over to the Montreal area on the transcan? From there it's driving south through New York State on I87 and picking a few ways to head west to I81 south . Take that into Virginia and make your way over to I95 in Richmond. I'm sure others will chime in on actual route names and numbers. A few times, we've taken that route far enough south to bypass the Richmond area and picked up 95 in South Carolina. In March, it's likely the daffodils will be out and shorts weather from North Carolina going south. Get there and all stress is off and you can take your time.

In my opinion, stay away from I95 in SC. The road is terrible all the way to GA. I use to tow a fifth wheel. It may be better in a Class C. I use to take 81 and pick up 77 then 26 over to 95

If you can manage to get to the chat Wednesday evenings, Ed from Halifax makes this trip pretty regularly. If he had advice, you should listen and take notes.
Matt_C

I recommend finding I-81 in New York, and heading south on it.
I-81 can take you around all the Megapolis on the seaboard, all the way in to Western Virginia, where you can take I-77 south to Columbia South Carolina. You can pick up US-301 just south of there in Orangeburg.
Follow US 301 all the way to Wildwood. It's well maintained and easy to drive, and skips all the towns you'd want to avoid. It does get a tad busy around Ocala, but by then you can slide over to I-75, if you prefer.

Have... your request seems familiar. As Matt C noted, Ed from Halifax is your very best resource. He is usually on our RV Chat on Wednesday nights. Yikes, that's tomorrow night. Here's the link to our Virtual Fireside Chat. Both you and your friend are welcome to join us.

After taking various routes, this is the one we used with the Class A, and I still use it most of the time now with our SUV.
TCH to HWY1 near Petitcodiac, cross into the US at Calais, and take US9 to Bangor. I95 to the ring road around Boston I495, to I90 (Paid HWY-MASS Pike), about 20 miles to I84 and just before Hartford take I91 south back to I95. At White Plains take I287 to I78, then south on I81. At I77 head south past Charlotte, then I26 back to I95. At Yulee FL take A1A to the US301 and you can cut over to I75 at Gainsboro or Ocala.
If you want to boondock on your way down, don't de-winterize until you are south of Washington. We would stay at the York I95 Plaza, then at Flying J's south of there. We usually were on the road 3 nights to get to St Petersburg, FL.
Sorry for the long answer.

Ed

Ed, thanks for your response. Have, we'd like you and your friend to join our Virtual Wednesday Night Fireside Chat.

Link to the Chat is here: Chat
Chat Times:
7 pm Eastern Time
6 pm Central Time
5 pm Mountain Time
4 pm Pacific Time.

One of the ways I have gone before is. Take the CAT high-speed car ferry to the US then south on US-1 or I-95. I-495 around Boston to I-90W. Take I-90 to Cleveland then pick up I-77 South to
Charleston, West Virginia. Then down to
Columbia, South Carolina. Then take I-26 to where it intersects I-95S. At exit 373 take 200 to Callahan, FL then follow 301 down to I-75 that will take you right to Wildwood Florida. This rout will also bypass a lot of your problem areas. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
One of the ways I have gone before is. Take the CAT high-speed car ferry to the US then south on US-1 or I-95. I-495 around Boston to I-90E. Take I-90 to Cleveland then pick up I-77 South to
Charleston, West Virginia. Then down to
Columbia, South Carolina. Then take I-26 to where it intersects I-95S. At exit 373 take 200 to Callahan, FL then follow 301 down to I-75 that will take you right to Wildwood Florida. This rout will also bypass a lot of your problem areas. Let me know what you think.
You went all the way to Cleveland then south from there. WOW! That added about 400 miles to the trip and another 8 hours.
I think you meant I90 West not East

You are right, I corrected it. Yes, it takes you around/bypasses all the places the OP listed. He could also go further west on I-90 and take I-55 South to New Orleans then I-10 East to I-75 South. Lots of things to see along the way.

Unfortunately the Cat only runs in the summer, so it won't be running in March. Plus it is very expensive, however if you want a ferry, there is one from Digby to Saint John which is a bit less expensive, but doesn't save you much time.
As Rene said, it is not likely worth the 400 mile detour.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom