Porch Light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trooper#1

Hi all,
Installing new porch lights on my Arctic Fox 22Gq TT. Had no problems replacing those with a switch, but the one at the front corner of the trailer is giving me a headache....its an led without polarity, but if I hook up one way its on, the other way its off!! Something not quite right there I don't think!! When I removed the old one I wondered why it had no bulb in,( to be honest i have never used that front porch light since getting the trailer so had no reason to worry about the bulb!) Regardless, now the new led works when wired one way, but I cannot for the life of me find where this light gets switched on and off.....Anyone any ideas?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20241026_145435401.jpg
    IMG_20241026_145435401.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20241026_145801715.jpg
    IMG_20241026_145801715.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 6
The led will only allow current flow in one direction. If it is producing light, then you have it wired correctly. No harm done by connecting it the wrong way other than it not working.

I am having a little difficulty understanding the first photo. Cannot tell where that light fixture is mounted on the Artic Fox. If it puts light in the entry area then a switch would be located near the entry area. It looks much like a marker light which would be powered by the tow vehicle when headlights are on.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the light is, but from looking at images of Artic Fox 22GQ (which turns up a number of different models) all of the AF models BEFORE the fiberglass front cap (introduced in either 2011 or 2012), have this Bargman angled down porch light on the front right of them.
14891C-1.jpg

Yes, that is a Bargman light. All of mine had turned yellow, so I replaced them with black versions (like on the trailer next to this one, but with clear lenses)

Bargman 3078524 Clear Black Base Porch Lite (this one has a switch on it)
61BDmjBstyS._AC_SL1425_.jpg

This is the same light without the switch. Bargman 30-78-522 Porch Light with Black Base (Bargman part numbers are usually expressed with the hyphens in the number but some people eliminate them). Bargman products are slowly disappearing from the market, as the parent company, Cequent, is switching to cheaper lines (of less quality).

I installed LED lamps in these, that way, when they fail, they are easily replaced. The cheap junk with permanently installed LEDs generally are cheap junk and don't hold up well.

The interior of my trailer had LED lamps installed in the sockets by a previous owner and they were a horrible hodge podge mix of bluish, bright white, and yellowish lamps, many with LED elements already burned out. I replaced every lamp with identical LED elite lights from M4Products, and saved the remaining functioning lamps from the interior, to use in these rarely used exterior lights and the cargo area lights, where durability and color really didn't matter.

I used the same fixtures as my old yellowed ones so the screw holes would match.

Charles

Last edited:
The led will only allow current flow in one direction. If it is producing light, then you have it wired correctly. No harm done by connecting it the wrong way other than it not working.
They could be using two LEDS one in forward and the other in reverse polarity in parallel. That would make it work either say as there will always be one LED forward biased (on) and one reverse biased (off) no matter which way it is connected.

-Don- Cinder Hills, Coconino Forest, AZ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cesar roberto schadeck
Back
Top Bottom