Propane tank filling problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get that, but where I'm parting ways with this gas to liquid theory is the pressures this happens at and rates of phase change. It would take a lot of energy at high pressures to make this happen in real time, and require the shedding of heat. None of this happens during any propane tank fill I've seen.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
There is heat exchange but it is not externally noticeable because the reaction is happening at the ambient temperature of the tank. The space vacated by the condensing vapor easily matches the volume of the incoming liquid.

sell more propane per week than anyone else in Pahrump.
It will get to around 119° F. / 48°C next week there in Pahrump. Does that mean they cannot fill any propane tanks there during the day?

I assume this is a common problem in such hot places.

Sounds like this is a good time to head for the higher elevations!

-Don- Reno, NV

It will get to around 119° F. / 48°C next week there in Pahrump. Does that mean they cannot fill any propane tanks there during the day?

I assume this is a common problem in such hot places.

Sounds like this is a good time to head for the higher elevations!

-Don- Reno, NV
I don't know, I'm not there now. When I was forced to stay there over the summer during the Covid lockdowns the little 5000 btu air conditioner in my insulated shed/man cave kept it at 70 degrees during the hottest temperatures. I just hung out in there during the heat of the day when the a/c in the RV could no longer keep up. Give me a comfy chair, small cooler, TV and computer and I'm set.

As far as I know filling propane tanks during the summer hasn't been a problem. First people don't use large amounts of propane unless they run their furnace so we don't fill many tanks during the summer. Overnight lows are usually at least 30 degrees cooler than the daytime highs, and we fill them early in the morning while things are relatively cool. For our comfort as much as the tank's.

I get that, but where I'm parting ways with this gas to liquid theory is the pressures this happens at and rates of phase change. It would take a lot of energy at high pressures to make this happen in real time, and require the shedding of heat. None of this happens during any propane tank fill I've seen.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Have you seen the "vent" or "spitter", as the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge is often called, go from vapor to liquid when the tank hits the 80% level? The change in sound alone as the liquid rapidly expands is a good indicator if the sudden cloud of propane gas didn't catch your attention. The transition from liquid to gas is nearly instantaneous. The pump that pressurizes the tank to 150+ PSI, depending on the ambient temperature, obviously isn't that fast when reversing the process. The few minutes it takes to refill various size tanks or cylinders though, is more than enough to reduce the small amount of gas remaining in the vessel being refilled. And consider that 20% of the gas is not reduced to liquid, but remains in the gaseous state in the headroom above the liquid.

The tank is normally vented while being filled. The 80% or "bleeder" valve is usually opened during the process.
That "bleeder valve" is actually the "Fixed Liquid Level Gauge", and is not used to vent the tank other than the small amount that escapes until the liquid reaches the 80% of the water capacity point where the refiller shuts off the flow. On DOT cylinders, some states/municipalities require using the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge, while others require filling by weight. In practice, it's not uncommon to see refillers just fill until the OPD valve kicks off the flow, although that's not allowed by any responsible authority. That method is also used at times when refilling the permanent ASME tanks permanently installed on RV's without opening the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge as they should. The simple Fixed Liquid Level Gauge is far more reliable than the mechanically operated OPD.

That "bleeder valve" is actually the "Fixed Liquid Level Gauge", and is not used to vent the tank other than the small amount that escapes until the liquid reaches the 80% of the water capacity point where the refiller shuts off the flow. On DOT cylinders, some states/municipalities require using the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge, while others require filling by weight. In practice, it's not uncommon to see refillers just fill until the OPD valve kicks off the flow, although that's not allowed by any responsible authority. That method is also used at times when refilling the permanent ASME tanks permanently installed on RV's without opening the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge as they should. The simple Fixed Liquid Level Gauge is far more reliable than the mechanically operated OPD.
We open the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge valve when filling tanks but often the OPD valve kicks in before the FLLG shows liquid venting.

That "bleeder valve" is actually the "Fixed Liquid Level Gauge", and is not used to vent the tank other than the small amount that escapes until the liquid reaches the 80% of the water capacity point
Right. We can quibble over the term "vent" but It is open during the filling process and will relieve internal tank pressure until the liquid reaches the 80% level.

Right. We can quibble over the term "vent" but It is open during the filling process and will relieve internal tank pressure until the liquid reaches the 80% level.
Actually it won't relieve internal pressure. The tank pressure is determined by the vapor pressure at a specific temperature. Opening a vent to let some vapor out just makes more liquid propane boil off to maintain the tank's pressure. No different than what happens when you release propane vapor into the system via the regulator.

These are but a few of the reasons that I fill at home, if at all possible. If there’s a screw-up....I don’t have far to look!
How do you fill the built in tank at home? Around here it's usually high school kids running the stations. OK to run cash registers but I'm a little leary about their mechanical skills.

The tank will fill just as well with the "vent" closed as it will with it open. The refiller just won't know it's full until the OPD trips at the 80% level. The "vent" is much too small to relieve any significant internal pressure. The point is, there is no need to relieve any internal pressure when refilling. The tank will fill just as fast with or without the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge open.

When my LP supplier re-fills my 1,000G ASME tank here at the house, he does not open a bleeder valve. Instead he watches the liquid level gauge. So no; opening a bleeder valve is not necessary.
However, he re-fills my ASME tank on the MH at the same visit and does open the bleeder valve.(his delivery trucks carry a nozzle adapter)
BTW, my home delivery LP price was $1.99/G last month.

When my LP supplier re-fills my 1,000G ASME tank here at the house, he does not open a bleeder valve. Instead he watches the liquid level gauge. So no; opening a bleeder valve is not necessary.
However, he re-fills my ASME tank on the MH at the same visit and does open the bleeder valve.(his delivery trucks carry a nozzle adapter)
BTW, my home delivery LP price was $1.99/G last month.
Both filling methods are correct depending on the tank size and local/state regulations.

Back
Top Bottom