Quartzsite 2023 Rally - anyone want to organise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We loved our first QZ rally in 2022, but we probably won't be there in 2023. Getting old, got a late start in RVing, and have so many other places to see. Also, although we love the floor plan of our 2013 5th wheel, it needs a lot of work and it probably makes more sense to get a different one vs investing in the one we now own. So we are considering getting a different 5th wheel before we starting RVing again. Decisions, decisions. We'll miss all of you!

I know I've been saying this the first Rally I attended with the gang....but I certainly want to join in again this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we make it happen!😊😊

I'd first look at this thread: Quartzsite Rally 2022 Info
which is info for last year's bash, and includes directions (including pictures) to the site where most of us boondock every year -- and there are some additional threads down the list here in this forum category, too.

Basically, we all gather on BLM land at the Tyson's Wash (two miles south of town) in an area that has room for way more than 50 rigs*, and it is only $40 for two weeks, but provides access to a dump and to fresh water. A few folks have chosen to stay in town at one of the many RV parks, but that makes it a bit tougher (but still easily possible) to get together with the rest of us, though the 4 PM "happy hour" is not a problem at all.

* With 40 rigs, it's still almost empty.

Hello, retired about 6 months ago and want to attend quartzite this year. Any suggestions for staying there either BLM land or campgrounds. Best places and things to do. Friend meet and greet?
The “official” rally is during the RV show, 21-29 January 2023. Some people come early, some stay late, some stay for weeks/months. During the rally we have a daily get together at 4:00, the Happy Hour Larry mentioned. There is usually somebody who coordinates daily walks, a few 4WD trips, casual get togethers to visit some of the interesting places nearby, etc. It is a rather loose arrangement, not something with lots of planned activities. Just park your rig in the designated area and you are automatically a rally attendee! If you decide to camp in town, just post it and you can see when folks are starting to show up. Bring some firewood (buy it in town), and enjoy.

Like Larry said, look at the previous year’s threads for places to visit. We like the historical mines and ghost towns in the area.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this years gathering, we missed last year.
Oh and a bunch of years from when we first heard of it from attendees here back in 97 or so.

which is info for last year's bash, and includes directions (including pictures) to the site where most of us boondock every year -- and there are some additional threads down the list here in this forum category, too.

Basically, we all gather on BLM land at the Tyson's Wash (two miles south of town) in an area that has room for way more than 50 rigs*, and it is only $40 for two weeks, but provides access to a dump and to fresh water. A few folks have chosen to stay in town at one of the many RV parks, but that makes it a bit tougher (but still easily possible) to get together with the rest of us, though the 4 PM "happy hour" is not a problem at all.

That sounds like my kind of area! I assume its dog friendly. I have two miniatures and a golden. I figured since I was new, I would try to meet people with similar interests. Im glad you mentioned dump and water station because I was wondering how far you have to go for that.
Thanks for the input, Larry. How about weather?

Where/Who do we need to contact to secure a spot in Tysons Wash? Sorry in advance, but being new to Q I will have many stupid questions I'm sure.

How about weather?
Weather is variable, and there have been occasions when it gets windy or rainy or chilly or some combination, but when I've been there it's most commonly clear skies (often there are enough high clouds for pretty sunrise and/or sunset) with high's running low 60s to mid 70s and lows running upper 30s to mid 40s.

Where/Who do we need to contact to secure a spot in Tysons Wash? Sorry in advance, but being new to Q I will have many stupid questions I'm sure.

At the Tyson Wash entrance there is a gatehouse where you pay your $40 and get stickers for your rig and toad (or truck and trailer), then proceed to parking literally anywhere back there that you want to go, but we use the same small area each year, even to the same campfire ring. After that initial entry, all you need for the next 14 days is the sticker on the vehicle.

There is so much free apace out there that you could park a thousand rigs within half a mile of our usual spot and have lots of room left over- in point of fact, there may be near that many already there in mid-January but LOTS of empty space available.

The link to directions in the link I provided above will show maps, pictures, all manner of things, including turn by turn instructions.

This video:
was taken last January (2022), part from the ground, much of it from a drone, around our area, and should give you an idea of what it's like out there- around 13 minutes or so the drone is very high and shows a LOT of the area and how empty it really is.

Finally, this video, of our QZ area in Jan of 2020 shows more of what it's like:

Last edited:
We’re in SW Colorado. We rarely go straight to Q but when we do, we take 2 days. We like getting to Q early so we can dump the holding and fill the water tanks and propane. That way we can park and settle and stay put for two weeks.

Dogs are welcome at the rally but must be kept under control and picked up after. Not everyone likes our hairy kids. And we don’t allow them at our Happy Hours or any event with food. And never leave them unattended…coyotes are crafty and have been known to grab pets for a quick lunch.

Hope we see you there!
Wendy

No need to secure a spot ahead of time in the BLM areas. Pull into the area, get the permit stickers at the kiosk, and go find a spot that speaks to you. If it turns out not to be a spot you like, move to another spot. It’s a BIG desert.

We’re in SW Colorado. We rarely go straight to Q but when we do, we take 2 days. We like getting to Q early so we can dump the holding and fill the water tanks and propane. That way we can park and settle and stay put for two weeks.

Dogs are welcome at the rally but must be kept under control and picked up after. Not everyone likes our hairy kids. And we don’t allow them at our Happy Hours or any event with food. And never leave them unattended…coyotes are crafty and have been known to grab pets for a quick lunch.

Hope we see you there!
Wendy
Thanks Wendy! I am in the Walsenburg/La Veta/ Rye area so we must be close! I'm thinking of leaving @ First week of Jan, and more than likely will stay several weeks if I like it!
PS. This is an awesome group so far! Thanks for everyone's friendliness and help to make this an enjoyable trip!

Dick, the dump station and water fill is about 2 miles away from our standard campsite in Tyson Wash, just across Hwy 95. Huge trash dumpsters are there too, but there are some smaller dumpsters a bit closer. We do like Wendy, get a permit, dump and fill, then go to our site. We are fairly profligate in our water usage though, so we just go dump once a week or so! You can get more general information about the area by looking on the BLM website for “Arizona LTVA” areas. There are also hundreds of reviews and videos about the area.

Note that for some weird reason you can't dump on the day you leave if you pay for 14 nights.

You can also pay a bit more, I think $60 for a much longer period so that will probably suit you.

Another beautiful place to camp is the King of Arizona wildlife preserve. Its free and has 2 areas. One is Palm Canyon and the other just a bit farther down the road and probably less busy. Good for a change of scenery.

Note that for some weird reason you can't dump on the day you leave if you pay for 14 nights.

You can also pay a bit more, I think $60 for a much longer period so that will probably suit you.

Another beautiful place to camp is the King of Arizona wildlife preserve. Its free and has 2 areas. One is Palm Canyon and the other just a bit farther down the road and probably less busy. Good for a change of scenery.
The reason you cant dump on the day you leave makes sense, it is just the way they count days is weird. You cant dump on the day you leave because your permit actually expires at midnight, so if you want to dump at 10:AM your permit has been expired 10 hours already.

I presume that you mean if the day you leave is the expiration date on the tag. At any date prior to that you can certainly dump the day you leave. And you have to pay for a 14 day minimum. From blm.gov:

The LTVA long term permit ($180) allows use of Bureau of Land Management designated LTVAs continuously from September 15th to April 15th (a total of 7 months), or for any length of time between those two dates. The LTVA short-visit permit ($40) allows use of Bureau of Land Management designated LTVAs for any 14 consecutive day period from September 15th to April 15th, which begins on the day the permit receipt is exchanged for the official permit and decal. The short-visit permit may be renewed an unlimited number of times for the cost of the permit. LTVA permits are valid at all of the Bureau of Land Management LTVAs.

For further info: La Posa Long Term Visitor Area | Bureau of Land Management

We won’t be there this year. We had a great time last year.

I thought I remember that we had to go to La Posa South (just north of Tysons and across Rt95) to get our sticker. We dumped tanks and filled fresh then down to Tysons and the Camping area.

We won’t be there this year. We had a great time last year.

I thought I remember that we had to go to La Posa South (just north of Tysons and across Rt95) to get our sticker. We dumped tanks and filled fresh then down to Tysons and the Camping area.
Hi Rob and Deryl,
Your memory is probably correct if you needed to do the tanks before pitching at the rally.
To empty the tanks you would need a pass which can be bought at any of the LTVA stations. Once you have a pass, you are then free to camp at any of the LTVA areas at Quartzsite or near Yuma.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom