Refrigerator is missing the thermistor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldlawnman

Bought this used RV and realized fridge was too cold and hot ice in my beverages. Went to adjust the thermistor and the sticker to indicate how to adjust was there but no slider present and didn't see a wire either. What to do now? Thanks

Bought this used RV and realized fridge was too cold and hot ice in my beverages. Went to adjust the thermistor and the sticker to indicate how to adjust was there but no slider present and didn't see a wire either. What to do now? Thanks
... beverages had ice in them...

Some could have a non-stock thingy for an adjustment. Some of them are very small. Some are larger:

1714452985585.png
-Don- Auburn, CA

no slider present and didn't see a wire either
In order to give completely accurate answers we need to know the make and model of the refrigerator that you have. Based on what you have said I can tell you nearly all RV refrigerators that have thermistor temperature control are also designed to go into continuous cool mode if they detect a failed thermistor, either shorted or open. Removal of the thermistor would be seen as an open one and so the refrigerator will go to cooling all of the time and the result would be just what you are describing.
What to do now?
The first thing is to get us the make and model of the refrigerator so that we can look at the proper service manual to see what you need. You would then need to look on the main circuit board to see if the plug has not been removed. It sounds like a previous owner had a thermistor problem and just removed it and never got a new one. I have replaced several thermistors in various RV refrigerators over the years and also have disconnected the thermistor on more than one as part of troubleshooting the cooling unit.

Not sure this will help, but its a YOUTUBE Video on fixing a walk-in freezer not cooling. This guy I have gone to a few times for a fix. Do hope you can find something that will work for you.. Click Here "Restaurant Repairs" Good Luck!

Make and model would help us help you.
Absolutely. Dometic or Norcold? Zillions of different model numbers. Found on a sticker inside on the sidewall.

For EXAMPLE, a very common Dometic thermistor is this Dometic 3851210025 Thermistor Kit (this is a genuine Dometic product for $65 and comes with the plastic clips) or this aftermarket replacement Dometic 3851210025 Replacement RV Refrigerator Thermistor 12 Month Warranty but with no clips for $9.38.

Unplugging a thermistor is a way of testing the cooling unit, as it goes full cold if the thermistor circuit is open (unplugged)

Again on a Dometic, the thermistor plugs into the circuit board on the upper left side. The two pin connector in this pic.

3850712_1024x.gif

Norcolds are similar but different, so let us know what you have.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom