Residential refrigerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

How well do residential refrigerators work when moving around alot. I have 45 campsites planned over the next 150 days about 7,000 miles.

4 RVs since 1987. A popup, Class C, 40 ft bus conversion and a truck camper. All have had residential refrigerators (the Class C also had a 4CF freezer). The bus has had a residential since I converted it in 2010. It also has an upright freezer. We installed a residential refrigerator in the used truck camper as soon as we got it home in 2021. None of these refrigerators were expensive ones. None have failed.

When we were still full-timing we had a residential refrigerator in our 5th wheel, traveled all over the country with no issues.

Samsung since September 2019. No issues. Of course, it take a slightly different learning curve to use a residential refrigerator if all your prior experience has been with RV gas absorption / electric / DC refrigerators. But, once you figure it all out, well .... we like the residential much more than we liked the gas absorption models.

Plus, the residential is a FULL size house hold refrigerator, complete with ice maker.

The only thing you need to do is add bars across the front so when you open the doors after traveling things don't fall out and whack you!

My solution, we purchased 3 spring loaded shower curtain rods, white to match the refrigerator, adjust them to the width and shove them in nice and tight. Nothing falls out any more after traveling.

The residential fridge in our Class A has about 30,000 miles on it with no problems. As said, spring bars are a big help in keeping things in place while under way, just as they were in our previous RV absorption fridge. When I installed our residential fridge, I slightly modified two double hung window latches to serve as door latches while underway.

We had over a dozen years with residential refrigerators in our rigs and they worked well -- most ways much better than the RV-style units, as well as being bigger for the same space in the coach. The lack of a gas option wasn't a problem for us, though for some who boondock a lot it might be. They're an excellent choice for many.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom