Screen door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob C.

I'm thinking of making Plexiglass inserts to fit my screen my screen door for cooler weather camping. It will let light in but keep cold air out. Has anyone ever done it and what type of plexi did you use?

Are your screens removable? The screen doors are not very strong. Adding extra weight to the frame and hinges may present a problem.
Even with 1/8 inch plexi, you are adding 2 lbs/sqft. Probably 20-25 lbs total for a 2x7 foot door.

I'm looking at 3/32 thick
, don't think that will weight 20-25 lbs. Yes, they will just clip in and be removable

My neighbor (a widowed mother) ask me a year ago if I could put plexiglass inserts into the screen portion of her Coleman camper. She has a rambunctious dog and was afraid it would destroy the screen material.

I studied the situation out and was able to install it with no issues. She used it for a while, but the dog kept lunging into it and it would fall out. I did not install it for a permanent fix, but she wanted it removable at will.

Well, after a year, she just leave the plexiglass out now. I'm not sure how she handles the dog though.

I'm thinking of making Plexiglass inserts to fit my screen my screen door for cooler weather camping. It will let light in but keep cold air out. Has anyone ever done it and what type of plexi did you use?
Yes - did that for my last two coaches. Worked great in both cool & hot weather. I prefer clear acrylic for its extra clarity but plexiglass works too.

I held mine in place with little L-shaped brackets screwed to the door frame. A 10-15 minute job to insert or remove.

Yes - did that for my last two coaches. Worked great in both cool & hot weather. I prefer clear acrylic for its extra clarity but plexiglass works too.

I held mine in place with little L-shaped brackets screwed to the door frame. A 10-15 minute job to insert or remove.
I used "plexiglass" just as a term to give an idea as to what I was thinking. Glad it worked for you Gary.

I have plexiglass, thin so it's lightweight, on my screen door as well. I used plastic lock loop fasteners, Like this, works great. I used cardboard to make rough cutout, and traced to plexi and cut with utility knife, snap.

Our FW came with a plastic sheet on the door. Not sure of what type of sheet. It was cut to size with a saw, including handle cutout, then drilled and screwed to the door frame. It lets in lots of light. The A/C does not mind unless it is really hot.

Back
Top Bottom