StarLink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GCA

If you are using StarLink, could you post your experience with this system.
For those of us that are full time RVers, it looks like they have 2 systems... ROAM and MINI.
I think the MINI is a DC version but I am not sure.
We need internet and phone so I am hoping StarLink works well enough to handle both.

If you do a search for "Starlink" there have been several discussions. Most seem to have positive results I believe.

I'm sure a few members will jump in and answer your question too.

Been using Starlink for four years...Residential plan at home and Roam plan with RV. It has been flawless in all 49 States, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala and Costa Rica.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240702-084856_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240702-084856_Drive.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240905-132814_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240905-132814_Drive.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240905-133129_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240905-133129_Drive.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
We've had Starlink at our home for a few years and in our RV for a few months. It slices, it dices.
sealrocks02-site-front.jpg

We use the ROAM version (full size dish) in our RV and it has exceeded our expectations as our Gen 3 Starlink dish has connected to the Internet even in shady and forested locations.

The MINI ROAM came out after we had purchased the full-size ROAM. See the MIRC for details.

Haven't used Starlink's WiFi Phone connect, but I believe Direct to Phone is coming soon.

Since we are part timers, the best part of Starlink is that we can pause the service and essentially go month to month.

We use Starlink with a traditional antenna, not the mini. Love it unreservedly. We have had no issue in using it to make phone calls in locations with. 0 cell service. The ability to do so is a function of the cell phone, not Starlink.

The mast mount you guys are using looks interesting. Buy from Starlink, dealer, custom... ?
Custom, self-constructed and low cost...like everything in our RV. Details with links to all items used are in our below Casita trailer writeup link but I'll cut and paste (without the item links)...but unfortunately it is long...

"We added two Bolt-on Rear Bumper 2 Inch Hitch Receivers on each side of our Casita trailer rear bumper which is a light weight, low cost and non-invasive approach (i.e., they don’t require bolting or welding a heavy rear hitch structure/receiver to the trailer frame) to accomplish his project. Each hitch receiver is rated for 200 pounds of load. It should be noted that 150 pounds is the maximum recommended load to place on the rear of a Casita trailer rear bumper to avoid creating a sway issue and potential accident. One hitch receiver is used for our Internet satellite dish and the other hitch receiver is used for our radio communications antenna when we are stationary and camping. When we are moving and traveling, both these hitch receivers can be used in conjunction with a 2 inch square tube having a 0.25 inch thickness that we welded together to create a third 2 inch hitch receiver located in the center of and 6 inches aft of our Casita trailer rear bumper which can then be then be used to attach our Kuat Sherpa Two Bike Bicycle Rack. It should be noted that older Casita trailers apparently had an inadequate bumper structure to support this approach. The newer Casita trailers don’t have this limitation as they use a 4 inch square steel tube having a 0.120 inch thickness that is already securely welded to the Casita frame.

We added a Hitch Mount Flag Pole Holder to enable using a 20 feet Telescoping Flag Pole and Adapter Bushing to create an Internet satellite dish mast for our Starlink Roam System from our SpaceX Affiliate. In similar fashion, we also created a radio communications mast for our 2 meter VHF and 10 to 80 meter HF radio communications antenna. This arrangement smartly places the entire weight of our Internet satellite dish, our radio communications antenna and their associated telescoping flag poles on the ground instead of using some other weaker and problematic arrangement that would require fastening to the trailer structure. Starlink Roam provides High Speed Internet via a month-by-month subscription plan for emailing/texting, making video phone calls, surfing the Internet, downloading our digital books onto our Amazon Kindle Paperwhites (which negates the need for any reading lights or storing paper books) and 4K streaming our desired HD programming that is then projected via a light-weight, portable, tiny soda-can sized HD Nebula Capsule Projector onto a light-weight and portable 40 inch Tecdigbo Projector Screen that can be easily hung when desired using two Mini Hero Clips that clip to two 6mm bolt/eye nuts installed in the existing roof upper cabinet fastener penetrations. With today's projector and Internet capability, there's absolutely no need to hang bulky TVs or use TV cable/satellite systems anymore...in RVs or in homes. This Bluetooth technology projector is also used as our Casita trailer music sound system. Having a FCC Extra Class radio license (NZ7N), we can also communicate via radio to anyplace in the US or the world using our VHF Yaesu FT-60R Transceiver and our HF Elecraft KX2 Transceiver System via voice or Morse code.

Our Starlink Roam System Wi-Fi router and satellite dish power module were placed in our Casita trailer driver side bench seat storage area and can be powered from either an added 120VAC 20A electrical receptacle outlet which can use shore power, an added Inverter or an added 12VDC 30A SAE power port (please see below for more details on these refinements). The Starlink Roam satellite dish cable is routed out our Casita trailer OEM exterior access hatch in a similar fashion as the shore power cord. This access hatch is also conveniently used as an exhaust fan ventilation path for our custom "cat bathroom" which is located within a custom storage cabinet in our custom mattress sleeping area (please see below for more details on these refinements). So we will never replace this exterior access hatch with a solid panel for using a detachable shore power cord that we would then also have to find an as convenient place to store it."

Last edited:
2 inch square tube having a 0.25 inch thickness

Wow, that's really heavy stock. I use 1/8 wall stuff for most projects and it's very strong.

using a 20 feet Telescoping Flag Pole...radio communications mast for our 2 meter VHF and 10 to 80 meter HF radio

What kind of mast, and HF antenna? I'm using a painter pole which is pretty sturdy but always looking for stronger/longer/lighter. The kite poles offer length OK for wires but not much else.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

2 inch square tube having a 0.25 inch thickness

Wow, that's really heavy stock. I use 1/8 wall stuff for most projects and it's very strong.

using a 20 feet Telescoping Flag Pole...radio communications mast for our 2 meter VHF and 10 to 80 meter HF radio

What kind of mast, and HF antenna? I'm using a painter pole which is pretty sturdy but always looking for stronger/longer/lighter. The kite poles offer length OK for wires but not much else.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
0.25 inch thickness was used for the 6 inch male ends that go into the two side hitch receivers. 0.175 inch thickness was used for the 40 inch section that connects them, is parallel to the trailer rear bumper and which holds the center hitch receiver used for the bicycle rack.

The HF antenna is a homebrew design fashioned similar to what we used for blue water sailing. Since our Casita trailer is fiberglass like sailboats, much of what we used, refined and which worked well during our sailing days also works well in our trailer and is also nostalgic too. In simple terms, the HF antenna is an off-center fed vertical dipole design that doesn't need radials or a counterpoise. Similar to this:

except longer and we use telescoping PVC mast to contain the dipole wire. This enables keeping it light weight and compact for traveling while also making it easy to deploy in a non-intrusive manner. Everything collapses into the largest 2.5 inch diameter by 5 feet long lowest mast section that drops into the flag pole holder. And this along with our four telescoping awning poles (used for our two 81 x 96 inch awnings that attach to each side of our Casita trailer using Keder rails) store in our Casita trailer rear bumper.

Last edited:
Custom, self-constructed and low cost...like everything in our RV. Details with links to all items used are in our below Casita trailer writeup link but I'll cut and paste (without the item links)...but unfortunately it is long...

"We added two Bolt-on Rear Bumper 2 Inch Hitch Receivers on each side of our Casita trailer rear bumper which is a light weight, low cost and non-invasive approach (i.e., they don’t require bolting or welding a heavy rear hitch structure/receiver to the trailer frame) to accomplish his project. Each hitch receiver is rated for 200 pounds of load. It should be noted that 150 pounds is the maximum recommended load to place on the rear of a Casita trailer rear bumper to avoid creating a sway issue and potential accident. One hitch receiver is used for our Internet satellite dish and the other hitch receiver is used for our radio communications antenna when we are stationary and camping. When we are moving and traveling, both these hitch receivers can be used in conjunction with a 2 inch square tube having a 0.25 inch thickness that we welded together to create a third 2 inch hitch receiver located in the center of and 6 inches aft of our Casita trailer rear bumper which can then be then be used to attach our Kuat Sherpa Two Bike Bicycle Rack. It should be noted that older Casita trailers apparently had an inadequate bumper structure to support this approach. The newer Casita trailers don’t have this limitation as they use a 4 inch square steel tube having a 0.120 inch thickness that is already securely welded to the Casita frame.

We added a Hitch Mount Flag Pole Holder to enable using a 20 feet Telescoping Flag Pole and Adapter Bushing to create an Internet satellite dish mast for our Starlink Roam System from our SpaceX Affiliate. In similar fashion, we also created a radio communications mast for our 2 meter VHF and 10 to 80 meter HF radio communications antenna. This arrangement smartly places the entire weight of our Internet satellite dish, our radio communications antenna and their associated telescoping flag poles on the ground instead of using some other weaker and problematic arrangement that would require fastening to the trailer structure. Starlink Roam provides High Speed Internet via a month-by-month subscription plan for emailing/texting, making video phone calls, surfing the Internet, downloading our digital books onto our Amazon Kindle Paperwhites (which negates the need for any reading lights or storing paper books) and 4K streaming our desired HD programming that is then projected via a light-weight, portable, tiny soda-can sized HD Nebula Capsule Projector onto a light-weight and portable 40 inch Tecdigbo Projector Screen that can be easily hung when desired using two Mini Hero Clips that clip to two 6mm bolt/eye nuts installed in the existing roof upper cabinet fastener penetrations. With today's projector and Internet capability, there's absolutely no need to hang bulky TVs or use TV cable/satellite systems anymore...in RVs or in homes. This Bluetooth technology projector is also used as our Casita trailer music sound system. Having a FCC Extra Class radio license (NZ7N), we can also communicate via radio to anyplace in the US or the world using our VHF Yaesu FT-60R Transceiver and our HF Elecraft KX2 Transceiver System via voice or Morse code.

Our Starlink Roam System Wi-Fi router and satellite dish power module were placed in our Casita trailer driver side bench seat storage area and can be powered from either an added 120VAC 20A electrical receptacle outlet which can use shore power, an added Inverter or an added 12VDC 30A SAE power port (please see below for more details on these refinements). The Starlink Roam satellite dish cable is routed out our Casita trailer OEM exterior access hatch in a similar fashion as the shore power cord. This access hatch is also conveniently used as an exhaust fan ventilation path for our custom "cat bathroom" which is located within a custom storage cabinet in our custom mattress sleeping area (please see below for more details on these refinements). So we will never replace this exterior access hatch with a solid panel for using a detachable shore power cord that we would then also have to find an as convenient place to store it."
Bolt on hitch receivers are great for a lot of things, aren't they? I use one on my hitch frame for my flagpole and one on my rear bumper for my motion activated light tower. Cheap and easy.

Wow-- whoever would have imagined so much tech and knowhow could be packed in a tiny Casita! Impressive. (y)

Wow-- whoever would have imagined so much tech and knowhow could be packed in a tiny Casita! Impressive. (y)
Thanks! Yep, other than interior square footage, we have equal or more capability and comfort than multi million dollar MHs. And perhaps more importantly, we can go and camp where they can't...and for only a tiny fraction of the acquisition/operating cost and hassle of having to deal with another motor vehicle that likely also has to tow even another motor vehicle behind it. We achieved our personal goal of traveling economically, far, and fast and then comfortably and securely camping in very beautiful and very remote locations for as long as we desire.

We had a 17’ Casita Liberty that was the best camper for travelers ever. It towed very easily, and was acceptable for us for week or two long trips. After having it for almost 4 years, we sold it after a 3 week for a bigger rig. The tiny tanks were an issue, though we used a Blue Boy as needed. The wet bath was doable, and we learned all the tricks to make it manageable. But the biggest thing was we couldn’t take our other hobbies with us on longer trips - no room. Absolutely fabulous for moving frequently and into small remote locations though.

We had a 17’ Casita Liberty that was the best camper for travelers ever. It towed very easily, and was acceptable for us for week or two long trips. After having it for almost 4 years, we sold it after a 3 week for a bigger rig. The tiny tanks were an issue, though we used a Blue Boy as needed. The wet bath was doable, and we learned all the tricks to make it manageable. But the biggest thing was we couldn’t take our other hobbies with us on longer trips - no room. Absolutely fabulous for moving frequently and into small remote locations though.
Yes, we think the Liberty model is the best Casita model by far for couples camping and it is also much more amenable to modification/refinement than the other models too. But we wouldn't full time in Casita at our age even though many younger couples do so. Our last year 3 month, 12,000 mile trip is about our limit nowadays.

Since we largely camp where latrine dumping is allowed, our 15 gallon black and 32 gallon gray tank size isn't an issue at all for us. The only things that limit our dry camping duration is sourcing food, water and propane. So really not much different from our remote Oregon place either. And given that we also have second homes in Costa Rica and New Zealand, we have little need for another large mobile home.

Effective immediately with no change in cost, Starlink Roam is now authorized for:

In-Motion Use
International Travel
Coastal Coverage
There is a cost increase for the Roam Unlimited plan. It will now be $165/month. The only thing I get from the added features is less in my checking account each month.

There is a cost increase for the Roam Unlimited plan. It will now be $165/month. The only thing I get from the added features is less in my checking account each month.
Not for us... And our monthly cost is zero for most months when we don't use it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240911-090242_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240911-090242_Gmail.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle Smoky
Back
Top Bottom