Suburban water heater electric and gas version - 6 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV Rookie82

The switch to turn on the gas is on the trailer wall behind the kitchen countertop where we have the coffee maker. Somehow the coffee maker got pushed back and turned on the water heater switch - this was likely on for several hours. Now, the electric portion of the water heater works but the gas option does not. I believe I have heard damage can be caused by flip the switch without water in the system. Any thoughts to fix would be appreciated.

Damage to a water heater is a possibility if heat is applied without water in the tank.

The gas heating portion of your water heater is a little more complicated than the electric option.

A good starting point would be to post the model number of the suburban water heater, and the vehicle make, year, and model it is installed into. Include some history of your usage and what it is doing now when you turn on the gas heating.

Last edited:
The Electric element can indeed be damaged by operation without water.
The gas burner is not damaged by that (Though it's not good for the tank) but may have failed due to other issues like a bad part.

Put a small drawer handle over the switch. As far as the gas part, if you very seldom use the gas, check the flame tube the for for obstructions. Spiders and insects love to nest in the tubes.

I never heard of the gas side being damaged by no water and the electric on. I would check and see if the burners on the stove light as posted above. If the stove lights fine I would start by just doing the general maintenance on the gas side...clean the igniter probe, burner and gas/air tube. remove the gas orifice fitting from the gas valve an clean it out carefully...there is usually a plastic orifice inside the brass gas orifice fitting so just clean it by soaking it in alcohol and blow through it gently. Don't push anything through the orifice. Put it back together and see if it works.

I did have damage to a water heater on one of my previous travel trailers (6 gallon) when I flipped on the gas with no water in the tank. What happened was, the tank got so hot, it somehow overheated the thermostat and burned it out.

I didn't know what the problem was when the fire would not fire any more. Stupid me, I flipped it over to electric and then I still had no hot water.

Well, the tank was empty.

I finally realized the tank was empty, filled it, and then nothing worked.

I could not fix it myself. I took the camper to my dealership repair shop. They fixed it. The electric heating element was burned out, and the thermostat for both the electric and the gas were burned out (overheated).

So, yes..... damage CAN be done when no water is in the tank and the gas is turned on.

Yup. Lots of variables if the gas fires up with no water to absorb those therms. Complete melt down and fire are not uncommon and all the exterior components are sure to take a hit. You were lucky that the thermostat shut things down. By the time that occurs, things are nice and toasty in the compartment. Doesn't seem like the OP experienced anything serious but cannot be sure with the limited info posted.

As others have noted, inadvertently turning on the electric heater isn't what caused your gas mode malfunction. We need some clues if we are to help. Please describe in more detail what happens (or not) when you turn on LP gas mode (first making sure that the gas tank valve is open). Does the gas igniter click (spark) to attempt to light? Does it perhaps burn for 15-20 seconds and then go out? When you open a hot water faucet, do you get room temperature water, warm water, or maybe no water at all?

OP seems to be indicating that the gas option was used inadvertantly with a low/no water condition and now has a working electric heating circuit but no gas heating. That's the way I read it.

OP seems to be indicating that the gas option was used inadvertantly with a low/no water condition and now has a working electric heating circuit but no gas heating. That's the way I read it.
Upon a more careful re-reading I see that Henry is right. So probably the gas burner was on for hours. That could conceivable damage the tank bottom itself if it was dry, but then water would leak at when it was filled. Ought to be fairly obvious, I think.

In any case, that conjecture is pointless and some actual problem determination is needed, as previously outlined. Is the tank holding water? Does the burner spark and maybe light off? That sort of thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadefree
Back
Top Bottom