Telsa lays off 14,000!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But to use an EV as one's primary and only mode of transportation is a personal disaster waiting to happen.
If that happens, you purchased the wrong EV for your needs.

If I were to drive a car across the country, I would not even consider an ICE car. I would take my Tesla. But I find my Bolt to be a better car for around town. However, either can be used for either, just not as well.

The only EV I would NOT consider for these days is an E-RV. There, I want ICE. For now.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
I have no patience for fools and would end up deleting a lot of posts including anything that was even remotely political.
I wouldn't. I would want to wait until the personal attacks regardless of what is discussed. As long as stays friendly, I see no problems with hot debates.

However, I have no issues letting the '"site team" running the forum whatever way they decide. It's their job, let them do it their way.

But one thing I wondered about after having a couple of my posts deleted in the Vietnam thread, is about the political rule.

It's when it is very OLD politics, such as bringing up George Washington or Thomas Jefferson in the Shade Tree. Would that be included as "political"? In my case, I mentioned Bush, but I wondered if there was a line or even if George Washington would be included as being political.

Now back to the endless EV debate . . . .

-Don- Reno, NV

Yeah, I'm lost. Even I can't decipher this parable.

On the subject of an EV as a primary vehicle, I'm not sure I follow the "if the battery is dead, it can't be used". An EV battery doesn't just die like a cell phone. As far as repairability, I don't see people pulling apart their ECM's or replacing cam phasers on the side of the road when their ICV breaks down. Contrary to belief, electricity and electronics aren't magic--or voodoo. But electrical and mechanical issues will brick an ICV just the same.

I'm not sure I follow the "if the battery is dead, it can't be used".
I think many try to compare their RV or car batteries to EV batteries who don't understand the major differences. They don't seem to notice the warranty on EV batteries (which are never prorated as are L-A batteries) is always a lot longer than an ICE engine or tranny and most often will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Of course, there will be a few rare exceptions, just like the new ICE engine that breaks down on the way home from the dealer.

Otherwise, it's much like saying "if the gas tank is empty, it cannot be used". All cars run from some type of stored energy.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I think many try to compare their RV or car batteries to EV batteries who don't understand the major differences. They don't seem to notice the warranty on EV batteries (which are never prorated as are L-A batteries) is always a lot longer than an ICE engine or tranny and most often will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Of course, there will be a few rare exceptions, just like the new ICE engine that breaks down on the way home from the dealer.

Otherwise, it's much like saying "if the gas tank is empty, it cannot be used". All cars run from some type of stored energy.

-Don- Auburn, CA

One point that can be ceded is when an EV needs repairs. Bob's Backyard Auto Repair might be able to handle some stuff for ICV's and really basic stuff for EV's, like changing a 12v battery or a tire. A truly bricked EV most likely needs to get to a dealer or wait for mobile service. And until EV's become more commonplace, not all ICV-EV dealers (like Ford) have every service staff member trained as experts. It might just be one guy, or for a more complex problem, they might need a visit from an engineer at Ford.

Roadside assistance programs for EV's are pretty good I've heard. They come with a flatbed and scoop it up as part of the car's warranty.

One point that can be ceded is when an EV needs repairs. Bob's Backyard Auto Repair might be able to handle some stuff for ICV's and really basic stuff for EV's, like changing a 12v battery or a tire. A truly bricked EV most likely needs to get to a dealer or wait for mobile service. And until EV's become more commonplace, not all ICV-EV dealers (like Ford) have every service staff member trained as experts. It might just be one guy, or for a more complex problem, they might need a visit from an engineer at Ford.

Roadside assistance programs for EV's are pretty good I've heard. They come with a flatbed and scoop it up as part of the car's warranty.
Tesla has its own road service, and they claim almost every repair can be done on the side of the road. It can be requested right from the screen or the Tesla app, but I never had a reason to use it. So I have no idea how well it works in reality.

I have been thinking about asking in the Tesla Forum for people who have actually had to use it and see what they say.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Tesla has its own road service, and they claim almost every repair can be done on the side of the road. It can be requested right from the screen or the Tesla app, but I never had a reason to use it. So I have no idea how well it works in reality.

I have been thinking about asking in the Tesla Forum for people who have actually had to use it and see what they say.

-Don- Auburn, CA
We haven’t used roadside service. But we had a problem with a cracked neck on our washer fluid reservoir. Put in a ticket and a few days later they came to our house with their modified model x with sliding toolboxes etc. Cool setup. They swapped it out, checked the tire wear, checked the pressures and a couple other things and then we’re on the road. Pretty smooth. I’ve never had any other manufacturer come to the house for warranty service. Best service ever.

-Don- Auburn, CA
The complaints I mostly read about are collision repairs

all recalls on DWs explorer.
For some safety recalls they will do such to make 100% sure they get done. What they did with my Chevy Bolt, is pick it up with two people and drive it back to the dealer in Yerington, 73 miles away from Reno.

This was just after a battery blew up in another 2022 Bolt somewhere when it was charged from 0% to 100% with a home charge. Blew up a minute or two after. Nobody was hurt.

That is why they recently paid me $1,400.00 to not ask for a new battery and monitor my battery remotely as and cannot charge above 80% until the testing is done. I have not yet had the need to charge above 80% anyway, since I owned the car.

Kinda weird the way they pay it in a $1,400.00 gift card that can ONLY be used online. I blew it all in a few weeks on Amazon.

That is same as getting it in cash to me, as I do most of my shopping online these days.

-Don- Auburn, CA

For some safety recalls they will do such to make 100% sure they get done.

-Don- Auburn, CA
This is not just safety recalls--all recalls. Just did my truck today and it was a "foggy rear camera".
Did a couple on DW's Explorer. One for laminate on window/lock control covers they deffered since they were fine and will only do once.

Years ago I remember Honda came and got my car via tow truck and had it brought to dealer and returned to me via towing company because I was just unable to get car to them myself in a timely manner--don't remember the details but I was working and dealer is 50 miles from me. At any rate, with that cost, I'd bet that was a safety recall....LOL

I wouldn't. I would want to wait until the personal attacks regardless of what is discussed. As long as stays friendly, I see no problems with hot debates.

However, I have no issues letting the '"site team" running the forum whatever way they decide. It's their job, let them do it their way.

But one thing I wondered about after having a couple of my posts deleted in the Vietnam thread, is about the political rule.

It's when it is very OLD politics, such as bringing up George Washington or Thomas Jefferson in the Shade Tree. Would that be included as "political"? In my case, I mentioned Bush, but I wondered if there was a line or even if George Washington would be included as being political.

Now back to the endless EV debate . . . .

-Don- Reno, NV
I’m pretty sure those deletions were the work of a certain one with an agenda.

"foggy rear camera".
"Rear Cameras" are considered "safety equipment" these days. I got a "safety recall" for my Telsa about how opening the trunk could break the cable to my rear camera.

But other things that break which are NOT considered safety related are usually on a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin).

But sure, they can give great service on things that are not safety related as well.

-Don- Reno, NV

"Rear Cameras" are considered "safety equipment" these days. I got a "safety recall" for my Telsa about how opening the trunk could break the cable to my rear camera.

But other things that break which are NOT considered safety related are usually on a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin).

But sure, they can give great service on things that are not safety related as well.

-Don- Reno, NV
And here I spent the first several weeks with my new RAM last year trying to figure out how to disable the rear camera because it's irritating. There is no way to do it, by the way, because it's mandated by some govt entity so I just put a piece of electrical tape over the lens. It still comes on when I put it in reverse, but the screen is blank. :)

And here I spent the first several weeks with my new RAM last year trying to figure out how to disable the rear camera because it's irritating. There is no way to do it, by the way, because it's mandated by some govt entity so I just put a piece of electrical tape over the lens. It still comes on when I put it in reverse, but the screen is blank. :)
Did it stay on at all times? Most, AFAIK, only come on when you shift to reverse.

-Don- Reno, NV

Did it stay on at all times? Most, AFAIK, only come on when you shift to reverse.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yeah, that's always how it worked. It's irritating to see it blink on out of the corner of my eye when I trying to back up because I use my mirrors. It's especially irritating at night because even though I've dampened down the screen brightness it's still very distracting.

I’m pretty sure those deletions were the work of a certain one with an agenda.
Interesting comment, but I don't know anyone on the forum staff who has an agenda :unsure:

Sometimes we delete one or more comments because they've either attracted, or are likely to attract, negative responses that will/could send the thread into a downward spiral. Sometimes deleted comments are replies quoting a subsequently deleted message.

It's a judgement call and, after 30+ years here, I know only too well that we/I don't always get it right.

I know only too well that we/I don't always get it right.
Close enough, IMO. Nothing can be perfect, and it is Imposible to satisfy everybody. I have no doubt you realize that perhaps more so than anyone else.

And I even realize the site team doesn't always agree with each other.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom