Tiffin Phaeton Rear Coach Sag Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

I am considering purchasing a 2008 QSH Phaeton. I looked at one near my house and it had this problem. The rear of the coach sagged down about 2 to 3 inches. The owner stated he called Tiffin and that they were aware of this issue and would fix it for 700$ but you had to drive to Alabama to their plant. I called Tiffin and talked to service rep and he confirmed that they do fit them for this issue. Sounds like its not wide spread but when it does occur it causes a large area of delamination on the side walls from the roof modeling to the modeling just above the storage doors and jacking up the rear to correct the sag would worsen the budges of the delamination areas. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this issue and how common it is? I have found another unit that looks great but I don't want to have this issue later down the road. I have googled Tiffin Phaeton issue and this doesn't appear on any of them.

Thanks

It happens on some Tiffins of that era. The nickname is “butt sag”. If you live near Red Bay, AL and the unit is a good price, you might consider it. I would definitely call Tiffin directly for pricing though since $700 sounds really low. And if the other rig you are looking at doesn’t have the problem and is the same age, you are probably ok. Do an internet search on “Tiffin butt sag” and see comments.

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this issue and how common it is?
I was not aware of Tiffin having that problem but back in the 1990's the Bounder gas chassis units had a lot of that. The problem there was that class A builders typically add extensions to lengthen the frame rails and some were not strong enough. Since Phaeton is a pusher, I'm surprised to hear of this. The only place that I have seen any discussion of the issue is IRV2, another RV forum.

It happens on some Tiffins of that era. The nickname is “butt sag”. If you live near Red Bay, AL and the unit is a good price, you might consider it. I would definitely call Tiffin directly for pricing though since $700 sounds really low. And if the other rig you are looking at doesn’t have the problem and is the same age, you are probably ok. Do an internet search on “Tiffin butt sag” and see comments.
I did talk to Tiffin and they confirmed the price and did state they would provide details so it could be fixed locally but also stated expect to pay more since they do this to help there customers. It was covered under warrantee but has expired due to it's age.

I did talk to Tiffin and they confirmed the price and did state they would provide details so it could be fixed locally but also stated expect to pay more since they do this to help there customers. It was covered under warrantee but has expired due to it's age.
That makes sense. Take it to Red Bay then and get it done right. Note you can’t make an appointment for most work at the factory service center, so check the process out. There is a FB page “Red Bay Roll Call” with lots of info about both the area, the service center, and other vendors. It is a great place to get all kinds of updates for your rig.

Here's a picture of what clued me into the sag (note the gap in the basement panels), how one of the failed coach-to-frame supports sags down (no longer level shot from the rear) - plus the process in Red Bay to remove and replace those rear support members. They are fast and do a great job.

IMG_20180418_154350.jpg

IMG_20180418_151245.jpg

IMG_20180504_124349.jpg

It would be interesting to know what the fix is. My guess, raise rear with fork lift, weld a couple braces in? (or equivalent)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom