Toy Hauler Length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airick

Hi Everyone,

We're looking at 5th wheel toy haulers having had DP for our last 3 MHs. The ones with the features I'm looking for are over 40ft long. I choked a bit on that. Seems to be too long to get into most campgrounds. True? And the ones you can get into are pretty expensive. True? Or am I overblowing this? I have run into problems getting our 40 footer into some campgrounds although that's rare.

What are some recommendations? We're not looking to haul a car or anything heavy. Two electric bikes, sewing machine, SCUBA and archery gear are about it. I just like the idea that we'd have a spare room (bedroom) so to speak. And, the deck feature is pretty neat also. I'm looking for it to be pretty decked out. We stop at rest areas so a generator is a must. We head down south so 3 ACs are also needed I think. I have a bad back so ease of use is a must. No heavy lifting or I'll be spending too much time in a hospital.

I will be using it to head to Florida yearly. Leave in Jan return to NY in late May. I'd hate to have to expand to Texas just to accommodate the size but......

The truck will be bought after we decide on the trailer.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns? Is my thinking correct or am I overthinking this? IOW 44ft isn't that much of a problem. Some campgrounds will not be able to accommodate me but 98% will?

Thanks, Eric

I've had my Momentum 394M triple axle (44' from nose to tail) since March, 2019 and I tow it with a a F350 Dually CrewCab that has the full 8' bed. I'm about 59 1/2 to 60 feet from the front of the truck to the tail of the trailer when hooked up and moving. I don't boondock and every place we've stayed has been a commercial campground.....no state parks, and no federal/government sites. I've been to a couple that it was definitely tight fitting in my site....or should I say getting into the site, but almost every place I've been has been accessible. There are times when you have to be exactly spot on with your approach, and if you aren't, you back out and give it another try....but even that has been few and far between. I always make sure that I do a google map satellite view of the campground and if I know the site number, look at that too, to get a feel for it before arrival. One place I went looked good on the map and when I got there, I had to have the campground maint. guys do some tree trimming before I started in. Why risk the the roof and a tear if you don't have to...right? All in all, in my experience I've not had many issues with the size of my setup, but do keep in mind what I stated about state and government campgrounds. I also request a site that is large enough for at least a 45' trailer...50 is better. Hope this helps.P1000277.JPG

A 40 foot fifth wheel is actually about the same length as a 35 foot bumper pull. You have 5-6 feet extending over the bed of the truck. On the bumper pull you have 3-4 feet of tongue length. Bumper pulls are measured by the box length, not including the tongue. When I had my 22RR the box was about 23 feet and the total was close to 29.

If you make 3 a/c units a hard requirement then you are probably limited to40 ft or very close to it. The number of a/c the factory installs is pretty much based on the length of the unit (the interior volume). Even most 40 ft motorhomes come with 2 a/c units and it's sufficient if the insulation is decent.

How about something like the Grand Design Momentum 325G with an overall length of 35'6" and up to 15 ft available for garage use or just a spare room?

A 40 foot fifth wheel is actually about the same length as a 35 foot bumper pull. You have 5-6 feet extending over the bed of the truck. On the bumper pull you have 3-4 feet of tongue length. Bumper pulls are measured by the box length, not including the tongue. When I had my 22RR the box was about 23 feet and the total was close to 29.
Must have changed over the years. The TT models used to be named for the total length - a 26RB was 26-feet from bumper to ball mount; the box being about 22-feet.

The TT models used to be named for the total length - a 26RB was 26-feet from bumper to ball mount;
My 2012 travel trailer was considered by the builder to be 19' long. That was the measurement on the inside from front wall to back wall. When I measured from the point of the tongue to the back of the rear bumper it was 23' 7 1/2".

We have a GD 397TH which is 44ft from rear to pin. My wife's Parkinson's doesn't let her sleep much so we use the garage as 2nd bedroom and it has a full bath there . that shower is a little small but I'm 6'1" and can use it. Onan & Splindide stack washer/dryer up front. We just carry a Clubcar 48volt golf car & her GoGo Allterrain mobility scooter. 3AC's. The rear ramp has a lift system I can raise it with one hand plus when in patio mode can be nice.
With a CC dually it's a challenge backing but we make a point to only use a pull thru so sometimes got to drive a little further. I make it a point to use only truck lanes for fuel but every once & awhile have to maneuver into regular lanes.
Don't scrimp on the hitch. Get an airride style from the beginnng. We use an AirSafe 25K but all the air style brands are good. Your back will appreciate it.

Many places cant accomodate large rvs. That is slowly changing but will still be the case for a very long time.

Personally i dont trust that the manufacturers engineer them to hold all that weight. Non toy haulers already have a lot of issues cause they are designed to carry enough weight. We travelled in 2 vehicles (1 towing the rv and the second towing a small trailer) to avoid toy haulers.

Smaller and lighter is better imo

Back
Top Bottom