toy hauler????? trailer or motorized?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok we race drag bikes and run a 8 race series on the east coast  , the bikes have long wheel base so i need 9 feet + garage space,  i have a 26' trailer/toy hauler now and want to go smalller or  go to a motorized rv completely,  any advice?  who has these types of units and what are the pro/cons, im looking at a work and play 18' as well as a used fun mover 31'  thx  R

I have a Four Winds 31C, a motorhome built on a Ford E450 chassis.  That's the short one, but you may need more room in back
Toyhaulers are a series of compromises.  The main thing you will probably miss is the lack of storage cabinets in the living area.  We solved(?) this by packing clothes in plastic bins and keeping them in back with the motorcycle. Another is the lack of a large bed in back - the big bed is over the cab and you have to have a ladder to reach it.  Our Four Winds has other compromises as well.  Small freshwater tank (26 gallons) only 1 coach battery (and it's fairly small) small genset, etc .  However, the Ford V-10 pulls well, and it has pretty much all the stuff you would expect in this class.

You can always go custom build for about the same price as a pre built motorhome.  Check out www.spartanhauler.com .  This guy will help you find the right chassi and setup for your bikes.  He's an engineer who races dirt bikes and designed and built his own 28 foot toyhauler motorhome on a
chev 5500 chassis.

172ndLIB said:
You can always go custom build for about the same price as a pre built motorhome.  Check out www.spartanhauler.com .  This guy will help you find the right chassi and setup for your bikes.  He's an engineer who races dirt bikes and designed and built his own 28 foot toyhauler motorhome on a
chev 5500 chassis.

custom is nice but big bucks , im thinking used under 40k,      the fun mover has 8' or 9' garages ,,, i need a long garage for the long wheel base bike,, we will pull a small trailer when needed ,,, something in the 12' 14' range ,      i have seen a 28' before with dirt bikes ,,  i need abit more room

sounds like you are exactly where we were 3 years ago.  Big trade offs in space, function and comfort -- specially when you try to keep the size down.  At first we thought open toy hauler but the decor and comfort were just too utilitarian.  great for weekend dirt bikers but a bit tough for living in any period of time.  Then we looked at shorter fifth wheel toy haulers and found many could barely carry their own weight GVW.  I really didn't want to to a monster but we ended up with a 39 foot compromise.  Comfortable, separate 10' garage, a pain to maneouver, plenty of hauling capacity, great on the freeway and I have a truck I can use when I'm not RVing.  Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom