Traveling for food goodies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanbrat

I like to cook. In fact, that is why I built my van the way I did. I also like to travel for food things that are good food ingredients. Strawberries from the Williamite Valley OR. Strawberries, Central Valley CA figs and Hood River pears. I have gone camping just to bring home goodies for making jam or just for making nut brittle for Christmas gifts.
What about you? Do any of you travel for foods? I asked in another forum place and have gotten some good ideas so now I am asking here.....

Also, Tillamook Cheese factory, there is a gourmet Salt processing place near Newport OR. Crescent City Ca. Has a great little cheese factory. And always super fresh crabs fish and other seafoods all along the west coast. There are some great little as well as big mine places and breweries. Some great bakeries and ..... As you can tell we have mostly been west coasters

I travel for bakeries!! There is a place in Montana, along I-90 called Wheat Montana. They have fantastic bread products and pastries, especially croissants and cinnamon rolls. Two other bakeries I never miss are the one in the old part of Bandon, OR, called Bandon Baking Co & deli, and the one north of there in Waldport, Pacific Sourdough!

If I had to choose one food to live on, can you tell it would be bread?? But it would have to be good bread with great butter and toppings.

Am always looking for new bakeries, so please pass on your suggestions.

I travel for bakeries!! There is a place in Montana, along I-90 called Wheat Montana. They have fantastic bread products and pastries, especially croissants and cinnamon rolls. Two other bakeries I never miss are the one in the old part of Bandon, OR, called Bandon Baking Co & deli, and the one north of there in Waldport, Pacific Sourdough!

If I had to choose one food to live on, can you tell it would be bread?? But it would have to be good bread with great butter and toppings.

Am always looking for new bakeries, so please pass on your suggestions.
We are supposed to go that way this spring... Sounds like a place to stop

I like to cook. In fact, that is why I built my van the way I did. I also like to travel for food things that are good food ingredients. Strawberries from the Williamite Valley OR. Strawberries, Central Valley CA figs and Hood River pears. I have gone camping just to bring home goodies for making jam or just for making nut brittle for Christmas gifts.
What about you? Do any of you travel for foods? I asked in another forum place and have gotten some good ideas so now I am asking here.....

Yes…… seafood from South Louisiana! We put a 5 cu ft chest freezer in our 5th wheel, when we go down there to visit family, we try to put it to good use. Good seafood is a bit rare in Wyoming! 😉 memtb

We like the crabbing on the Oregon coast and we did like the oysters near Aberdeen WA. We just like eating whatever we come across on our travels but don't go out of our way to find anything in particular. Watching the waistline has to be a consideration too.

We like the crabbing on the Oregon coast and we did like the oysters near Aberdeen WA. We just like eating whatever we come across on our travels but don't go out of our way to find anything in particular. Watching the waistline has to be a consideration too.
We watch our waistlines expand mostly 😋
We’ve been to Maine twice. My goal was to make myself sick, or at least tired, of lobster. I failed fantastically both times.
If you get to Buffalo, NY, don’t miss beef on weck at Schwabl’s.
Grocery chains:
Wegman’s in eastern Pennsylvania, great selection of quality fresh produce and seafood.
H.E.B. in Texas, great selection of quality fresh produce and beef (more peppers than I knew exist and prime beef at most states’ choice prices.. we always stock up our freezer with prime strip loin when there.)

Last edited:
For obvious reasons, Michigan does not have seasonal produce all year, but the Detroit area has fantastic ethnic food. I stock up on things like fresh (not smoked) kielbasa whenever I am there. Check out Holiday Market in Royal Oak for excellent food ingredients. Also, don't miss the many Middle Eastern restaurants in the Dearborn area. With about 300,000 Middle Easterners living in that part of the city, the food is authentic and excellent.

If you like baklava, try Masri Sweets in Dearborn where they have a couple of dozen varieties. They also ship! Also, Dearborn Bakery for Italian food.

And Eastern Market in Detroit is open all year with a lot of specialty foods. Plus, Greektown, near downtown Detroit has been known for good Greek food for decades. (My dad used to go down there to get cheese and other goodies.)

Nine Bean Rows Bakery and Cafe in Suttons Bay, Michigan for awesome breads, pastries, and unique delicious deli sandwiches. They were just starting to do pizzas when last there.

Perch bites at V I grill in Suttens Bay.

Also in same area, Broomstacks Kitchen and Taphouse in Maple City, MI: Some of the best pizza I’ve eaten and it’s attached to a curling club.

We’ve been to Maine twice. My goal was to make myself sick, or at least tired, of lobster. I failed fantastically both times.
There's an all-you-can-eat lobster place in Branson, MO of all places. Lobsters are on the smallish size, but, hey you can always get more. Only thing my wife didn't like is they were whole lobsters and you pretty much had to dismember them like crawfish. Didn't stop her from eating 3 or 4 of them, though. I think I ate 3, but I was also checking out the other offerings, like crab legs, crawfish and shrimp.
Didn't compare to the place our friends took us out on Dauphin Island, but it was closer to home at the time.

We have a number of food stops when traveling. We have to stop in Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell, TX for the best Texas Barbeque. Jackson Mississippi for boiled Peanuts, and Southern Louisiana for Hot Boudin. Along the Gulf Shore for Boiled Shrimp. Central NC for real Pulled Pork BBQ, Southern VA for Brunswick Stew. The Coast of Maine for Fish Chowdah.
Life is Food on the Road.

We watch our waistlines expand too. It is a fine balance between enjoying what we do and being a bit healthy. We are all going to die and I plan on not going to the grave with a pristin thin body with no scars or anything I plan on sliding in sideways and saying "Damn what a ride" with a belly full of good stuff like chocolate and cheese.
I love PeanutButter but it will now send me to the hospital so no more peanuts but that's ok I discovered almond butter. Hubby lost most of his since of taste in an accident 30 yrs ago so not a big deal to him I just keep reminding him I DID NOT and taste matters.
Most of my family doesn't quite get my food stuff, but they sure do enjoy when I share.... And they support it saying they have their things and I have mine...

Last edited:
I recently stayed a night at Carroll's Sausage and Country Store RV Park. It’s located in Ashburn Georgia right next to I75. Loaded up on bacon, snack sticks and sweets!

If you like Seafood, When traveling along the Gulf Coast, follow US 90 out of Mobile, instead of I-10. Just East of Mobile, on the Battleship Parkway are a couple of great stops for Seafood.
And in Florida, follow US-98 along the coast.
You have to check out Apalachicola and Carabelle.

If you like Seafood, When traveling along the Gulf Coast, follow US 90 out of Mobile, instead of I-10. Just East of Mobile, on the Battleship Parkway are a couple of great stops for Seafood.
And in Florida, follow US-98 along the coast.
You have to check out Apalachicola and Carabelle.
We went to Florida for a short trip once and had some really great seafood. I was expecting something different and got some really good stuff. Very different from west coast stuff. Ya' all leave/get the shells on your shrimp out there. Totally shocked hubby. Seasoning is good, though different from west coast. And what the heck is with that super sweet tea stuff 'bout knocked me on my butt!
I love it when people give good food advice. And if anyone is ever on Whidbey Island we have worlds best muscles and fresh Salmon. There is a fish shop in Langley that is Sooooo good. Crabs get huge and are super good boiled and served with garlic butter, yep that is all ya need. There are some really good bakers that make amazing breads, but they don't have a "shop" only available in the local stores, Local stores as in Locally owned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom