Truckcamper minimal needs solar plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Would like to add some solar charging to keep battery up. Only draw are 4 lights, exhaust fan, run any electronic in fridge. The most draw would be the fan because in warmer weather it will run a lot. The max power is advertised at 22 watts. Only 1 battery, but adding an aux battery to the truck, it will charge off alternator. Probably get a Blue Sea combiner like I had in my Westy. Possibly add an inverter, but right now only thing would be to charge the MacBook.

So, 100 watts? Maybe less? Ideas?

You don't know what you don't know, and even with a list of devices you still don't know what your daily power usage is. Do you have a battery monitor for your existing setup? Then you'd have a better idea what it would take to keep up or stay ahead of what you've got.

Another way to approach it would be to max out whatever area you have for panels, then you're done. Whether it's overkill or not enough, there's nothing else you can do for fixed panels after that. Panels aren't terrifically expensive and as many solar folks would say, no one ever complains about having too many panels. Having extra solar also translates to some recovery even during cloudy days, so it's not hard to rationalize having too much if you're off grid a lot.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I have alweays been a strong proponent of go big, even on little. Also considering portable solar, for instance there is a foldable 120 watt panel I can lay on hood of truck, then put away, that has a certain allure to it. Because I have such minimal draw, maybe that would be enough? Lights, furnace, fridge (3-way), and 22 watt fan. (ONly consumption number i know).

I am guessing the hard roof panels may cost less than the foldable, still looking around, any help would be great.

You could dip your toe in the pool by buying a portable panel and seeing what kind of dent that makes towards your daily usage. Then you'd have a good idea what size fixed panels would make that more convenient. Portable panels are a pain to schlep in and out, set up and to keep from walking off but for temporary/experimentation you can learn a lot. And when you have your fixed panels you have a portable one on hand to deploy as needed.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The one I am looking at folds up into 11x15". Has 12 panels and 120 watts, will lay over the hood of a truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom