TV questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naemsmommy

We'd like to get a TV for our trailer but we usually dry camp.  Does that mean our only option is to get a 12 volt "rv" tv?  Or can regular TV's be used with some type of adapter to work with 12 volt?

You can get fairly inexpensive plug-in inverters that can handle your TV.  The question will be how many batteries you have and how long they can handle the TVs power needs.  TVs aren't huge power draws but they'd be like a ~100 watt lightbulb including losses in the inverter.

No, you can purchase a small INVERTER to convert 12V to 120V to run a standard TV set. What size you will need will depend on what the TV requires as power (watts) but a 1 KW unit should do for any modern TV most likely. Just make sure you have enough battery power to sustain your needs as inverters tend to eat batteries quickly. Don't forget you may need to power the DVD player too!!!

Another hint: Many flat screen TVs are powered through wall warts or other power supplies and  plugged into a wall outlet. Check what output the power supply has, you make get lucky and find the output is....12V... in some cases and you could forgo the need for an inverter..

Alfa38User said:
Another hint: Many flat screen TVs are powered through wall warts or other power supplies and  plugged into a wall outlet. Check what output the power supply has, you make get lucky and find the output is....12V... in some cases and you could forgo the need for an inverter..

OK please forgive my being totally dense here lol, but if the power supply does say 12 volt...what then?  It would still have a regular power cord, so how would we plug it in without an inverter?

If the power supply is 12VDC, then you would have to make a power cord that plugs into the TV and connects to a source of 12VDC in the RV.  Of course, a proper size fuse would be needed as well.

I would like to make a couple of comments regarding a small inverter if you need one. Most 12 volt power outlets use light wiring and cannot carry the load of an inverter, you will likely have to run heavier wire from your distribution center or fuse box to the inverter. If the batteries are some distance from the TV it is far more efficient to locate the inverter near the batteries (But not in the same compartment) and run 120 volt AC to the TV.

I would also think a 600-800 watt inverter should be adequate for a small modern TV.

Google 12v tv, there's a bunch out there that are not expensive.  I bought mine off of E-bay. I use it daily in my bedroom and then put it in the MH when needed. Might as well buy a 12v tv instead of 120 one, then the inverter.

I have 4 TV's in this rig (usually I say 3 cause one is in the basement and not used in over 5 years) two are 120 only one is 14 volt but I do not have a DC plug for it, yes 14, not 12 volt.. I only have the AC-Power brick for it so it's 120 as well.

A Prosine 2.0 (2,000 watt True Sine Wave inverter) feeds them when I am off the grid, along with all the support stuff and the Microwave and this laptop and and and.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miamibiker
Back
Top Bottom