Uke recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We buy Kala Waterman ukes for the kids in our school uke classes. Personally, I'd suggest you up the budget and buy the Fluke, available from Flea Market Music. It has a great tone and is almost indestructible:

https://www.magicfluke.com/Fluke-s/1477.htm

No doubt the Fluke looks like a great instrument and I would love to own one.  I received a $100 gift card and I'm very frugal and hesitant to go too much over that amount since I don't know how committed I will be.  Once upon a time (in college the first time) I played guitar. 

What would be a good step up from the Kala Waterman?

There's a big difference between the Waterman and the Fluke. But the Waterman works fine as an entry level instrument, especially if you're not sure you'll stick with it.

I should have mentioned that Kala (who makes the Waterman) is a good brand overall. We toured their factory in Petaluma, but they only make their high end instruments there. The others are built in China.

Just curious if you made a decision on a uke?

Well I ordered a Concert Uke using two of the gift cards from Humana.  Our Humana policy is awesome.  The Uke I ordered is an AKLOT 23" solid Mahogany Concert Uke with a beginner kit. (Under $60) It should be delivered on Wednesday.

The kit comes with a tuner, extra strings, a strap, two picks, instructions, a cheap gig bag, and a cleaning cloth.  I think it's an Aklot Model # AKC23

MN Blue Skies said:
The kit comes with a tuner, extra strings, a strap, two picks, instructions, a cheap gig bag, and a cleaning cloth.  I think it's an Aklot Model # AKC23
That is a cheap piece of junk. You should have bought a more expensive uke, it will last longer and sound better.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/5K-Soprano-Ukulele-Natural-1500000226845.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YILt1JfqhvvuR4UoC0-U5A_E4w7WFONhmF-mNOfr9r_gjbyYu-DvshoCceoQAvD_BwE

SeilerBird said:
That is a cheap piece of junk. You should have bought a more expensive uke, it will last longer and sound better.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/5K-Soprano-Ukulele-Natural-1500000226845.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YILt1JfqhvvuR4UoC0-U5A_E4w7WFONhmF-mNOfr9r_gjbyYu-DvshoCceoQAvD_BwE
Well bless your heart Tom.

Congrats. I won't cast judgement on an instrument unless/until I play it, and I hadn't previously heard of this brand. It may well turn out to be just fine, and it's sold as a "starter" instrument. If the uke bug bites you, an upgrade may be in your future.

This instrument gets good reviews from amazon buyers. The only thing I question in the reviews (and hinted at in the description) is "stays in tune with virtually no stretch period". But you'll know while playing. It has Aquila nylgut strings, which I've found to be decent strings and have on several of my ukes. I usually tell folks to tune it frequently and back off as the strings settle in. I also tell folks to expect it to take a week of daily playing and re-tuning as necessary. I've found that nylgut strings really are stable after that initial period.

The Q&A mentions swapping out the standard 'high-G' (top) string for a 'low-G" string on concert ukes. I know a number of folks who have done that, but I haven't bothered. It's another of those things your ears will tell you if it's necessary or more pleasing to hear.

FWIW when I replaced my "starter" uke, I sold it to another band member. That was approx 8 years ago, and the lady still plays it today - quite happy with it.

BTW I just noticed that amazon offers this uke in two versions - one with standard strings and one with the 'low-g'.

Again, congrats and happy strumming!

Tom, that Martin is a nice chunk of change. I was fortunate to have a friend who could no longer play lend me his almost-unused Martin for many months. However, I was almost afraid to play it, for fear of accidentally damaging it (remember my middle name is klutz).

SeilerBird said:

Seiler did I see that the Martin 5K Soprano you recommended as a starter Uke is priced at $4,999? I want a Concert Uke, I can't imagine the price tag on that.

What brands/models of ukes do  you  have?   

As UTTransplant said ... "Bless your heart, Tom"  I could say more but I'll take the high road.

SeilerBird said:

So says the guy who tries to order Chinese knock-off guitars.......... 

When do we get to see your first YouTube video playing the new uke?

Just curious where you're at. In the easiest case, you merely strum chords on the uke and sing the melody. There are numerous YouTube videos out there that will help, but I find it a little depressing to be "taught" by a 12 year old expert  :-[

Let me now if you need any materials or help.

Since you previously played guitar, I suspect this will all come back pretty quickly, and you don't need 6 fingers on your left hand  ;)

Sounds just fine to me, and I wouldn't worry about it being made in China. Many instrument manufacturers make all but their high end products there.

One caveat - the "sound hole strap" - hang onto your uke, or it will roll away from you and onto the floor! Use a regular uke strap on the pre-installed strap buttons.

Re the tuner, use the 'Chromatic' setting to tune the uke. It's too easy to accidentally switch between the the two other uke settings. Top to bottom: G-C-E-A. Adjust the strings gently, but remember to play and re-tune often until the strings quit stretching.

I think you have a little gem there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom