Use of Electric Bikes by RVers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were able to test ride a few before purchasing. We did find the smaller wheel folding bikes were not as stable and because we wanted to do long rides (20-30 miles) we opted for non folding bikes with larger tires. We ended up getting the EG Geneva's and after 6400 miles since Jan of 2020 we still like them.
We really didn't have a good place to store the folding bikes so we ended up getting a Hollywood Racks RV Rider and it has been great. Hope this helps a bit

I think I would go with an electric motorcycle or an electric scooter that could carry two people before going with two electric bikes that are severely limited in speed and range...but we have motorcycle licenses. And if one is physically able, it seems like normal pedal bikes would be a much easier and a healthier alternative too.

The main reason we went with the small travel trailer approach was to be able to detach the tow vehicle and use it to conveniently travel to destinations beyond where we were camping. We sure didn't want the fuel expense of a huge MH and towing separate motor vehicle(s) to accomplish this and this behemoth approach would also severely limit the places we could go and camp. But everyone has their dream way of camping I suppose.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

I strongly agree that you should buy something you should try out. A lot of the cheaper bikes may be perfectly fine, but some of them can only be ordered online. I ended up with a 24" Pedego Boomerang. I am only 5' tall, and was able to try a 26" and 24" and found the 24" fit me better. Pedego is an expensive choice, but they are well made and a lot of the stores rent bikes or let you take a trial ride of several, which i think is important.

I got the less expensive 52V 10.5Ah battery, but it takes me 30+ miles, which is as far as I would ever want to go. As I posted earlier, I got an electric bike because my knee would swell up on just a mile or two on a regular bike and I would have difficulty walking the next day.

If you cannot get a test drive on a bike and want to order one by mail, you might want to ask someone you know if you can try their bike out. I am a little hesitant to let anyone try my bike unless I know that they are a very skilled current bike rider because I let one lady try mine, and she fell and broke her wrist!! I also suggest that you try a bike out without the battery for the first time, THEN, when you feel comfortable with the weight of the bike, try it with the battery on.

I paid $2,700 for my Pedego, but have barely ridden it, and am going to move to a three-wheeler electric bike because at age 81, I don't feel stable on it. It is for sale for $800, if anyone is interested, but I am currently in Michigan, headed through Canada to the northwest.

FYI - Even with the less powerful battery, my bike can easily go 25+ MPH and at least 30+ miles. Frankly, I wouldn't want to go faster or farther on a bike trail.

Reactions: SMR
Heard today that New York City is starting a program to swap out the cheap ebike batteries with decent ones in an attempt to get the battery fires under control

I think I would go with an electric motorcycle or an electric scooter that could carry two people before going with two electric bikes that are severely limited in speed and range...but we have motorcycle licenses. And if one is physically able, it seems like normal pedal bikes would be a much easier and a healthier alternative too.

The main reason we went with the small travel trailer approach was to be able to detach the tow vehicle and use it to conveniently travel to destinations beyond where we were camping. We sure didn't want the fuel expense of a huge MH and towing separate motor vehicle(s) to accomplish this and this behemoth approach would also severely limit the places we could go and camp. But everyone has their dream way of camping I suppose.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita
My wife might ride an ebike but she sure ain't getting on the seat of a motorcycle or scooter behind or in front of me. That would be a helluva sight. [e]bikes are the rage now because they enable folks who otherwise wouldn't ride a bike to get out and about. Those same folks I'm pretty sure know the difference in a pedal bike and an e-bike.

My wife might ride an ebike but she sure ain't getting on the seat of a motorcycle or scooter behind or in front of me. That would be a helluva sight. [e]bikes are the rage now because they enable folks who otherwise wouldn't ride a bike to get out and about. Those same folks I'm pretty sure know the difference in a pedal bike and an e-bike.
Yep, I hear you...one has to do what one has to do... Happy wife, happy life!

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

Saw this thread pop up again. Still haven't bought an e-bike. I'm noodling one before we head to California this winter, just have to figure out how to take it with us. Strap it to our trailer, probably.

I had the chance to ride a Cannondale Adventure Neo something-something at an REI a while back. Neat bike, good power, decent value.

and am going to move to a three-wheeler electric bike because at age 81, I don't feel stable on it
I'm another 81 year old senior. I've thought about an electric for several years. My big concern is falling while going 10-20+ mph. The electric trike sounds like a good alternative. But transporting it behind a toad is problematic. Also, it would need to hold two adults with a combined weight of (let's just say more than average). Until last Friday I was still thinking about it. That's when I took a nasty fall while out hiking at maybe 2 or 3 mph.

Bruised or possibly fractured my ribs, multiple scraps on wrist, knee, calf, upper arm and hit my head hard enough to make me think I was going to pass out. Fortunately not concussed per CT Scan.

I can't imagine falling while riding a bike as fast as an electric can go. Even getting back on my Trek pedal bike gives me pause. Bought the bikes with a high end rack 3 years ago. The rack is rated for two 60 lb bikes so despite the risks, still thinking about electrics.

I can't imagine falling while riding a bike as fast as an electric can go.
The electric bike I currently have and am going to sell is my second one. I bought one of the earliest ones in 2013 after getting my replaced-knee foot caught on a ship's ladder (icebreaker Mackinaw on a tour) and tearing lose scar tissue and stretching tendons. That and most of the early bikes went only about 15-18 MPH, and I stuck to a top speed of about 10 MPH.

The newer bikes have bigger and more powerful batteries and can go a lot faster. With my 2020 bike, I got the least powerful battery and still stuck to about 10 MPH. Any faster is nuts at our ages. And if you want a really scary experience, try the bike path from the visitor center to the hotel at Zion National Park. There are now at least two electric rental bike shops in town, so now you not only have Europeans who are used to tiny cars renting big motorhomes, you have a ton of people who have never ridden an electric bike renting them and speeding along at really fast speeds!!! Getting out into the wilderness is getting to be really dangerous these days.

About 5-6 years ago, I fell off my old electric bike after hitting a patch of gravel. (With electric bike, wheel with motor will sense other wheel is slipping and speeds up to make up for it. That causes bike to slide sideways and the rider to lose control.) Did not break anything, but I had a large scrape on one foot that had no layers of skin left on it and took several months to heal from the edges in. Badly bruised knee also, but I was wearing a helmet so no head injuries. I figure last thing i need at my age is brain damage.

My personal rules are that I ride ONLY on good paved surfaces, and if there is any gravel on the road, I stop and walk through it. I also avoid heavily trafficked bike paths. And I no longer ride in traffic as I used to do 10 years ago!

My wife and I are planning on getting E-Trikes. We haven't bought our rig yet. She's insistent on a Class C, not a 5th wheel. So, we need alternate transportation. She doesn't want a toad either. Gotta keep her happy :) I figure trikes are more stable, and can carry more cargo. I used to be a very long distance bicyclist. But, like some in this thread, I'm concerned about stability as we get older.

I'm another 81 year old senior. I've thought about an electric for several years. My big concern is falling while going 10-20+ mph. The electric trike sounds like a good alternative. But transporting it behind a toad is problematic. Also, it would need to hold two adults with a combined weight of (let's just say more than average). Until last Friday I was still thinking about it. That's when I took a nasty fall while out hiking at maybe 2 or 3 mph.

Bruised or possibly fractured my ribs, multiple scraps on wrist, knee, calf, upper arm and hit my head hard enough to make me think I was going to pass out. Fortunately not concussed per CT Scan.

I can't imagine falling while riding a bike as fast as an electric can go. Even getting back on my Trek pedal bike gives me pause. Bought the bikes with a high end rack 3 years ago. The rack is rated for two 60 lb bikes so despite the risks, still thinking about electrics.
I've spoken with a few who've laid their ebikes down, they said loose gravel is a real issue. I've gone down on a road bike a few times when younger, but can't imagine the consequences now. I'd be cautious, falling at just 20 mph is serious.

I used to be a very long distance bicyclist. But, like some in this thread, I'm concerned about stability as we get older.
Brian, I guess it comes down to how far you think you will want to ride your bikes during each outing without knowing how old you are. My wife is 70 and I'm 69, just this past Tuesday we rode our skinny tire street-racing bikes, mine with the traditional ram-horn bars, on a 15-mile trail of dirt, stone, rock, and cinder. I also take along with us my foldable E-bike, Cheetah, given to me as a present by my brother to bomb around campgrounds and the area.

I like your idea of Class C, especially the newer Mercedes chassis "smaller" C's which would be easier to unplug and use to see the local attractions wherever you are. But, there may be times you will feel confined to your campground with transportation beyond the E-bikes. Camping companions of ours have a C and they went the E-bike route just as you are thinking. Their first winter, 3 months, spent in Florida they thought was great. Since that trip they have been asking because we haul our toad "Hey, what are your late winter plans?", so this past Feb-Apr we completed a Southern states trip starting in Huntsville, AL, Florida for two weeks, then heading West along the Gulf Coast to Galveston, TX back to Raleigh, NC for two weeks, and back home. We like these guys, but a couple of months together got to be tiring just because of different daily schedules such as when to eat meals or what to do or not each day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG DOUG
Back
Top Bottom