Washing my camper in a “Truck Wash”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philippo

Hi, All!

I have a Northern Lite 8-11 EX CD camper on a Chevy Silverado 3500 pickup. (…it’s my most recent RV in a decades-long chain of vehicles starting with a 1959 VW Micro-Bus😎)

My query is about washing the camper after (or during?) a long road trip; a process that seems to have gotten more cumbersome over the years.

I’m wondering what the pros and cons would be of taking my rig to an automatic “Truck Wash,” one of the large facilities that appear along the major routes along a road trip — obviously intended for cleaning big Semi-Trucks, or at least that seemed to be what their original intent was when I first started noticing them many years ago.

Of course I’m wary of subjecting my rig to any “automated” washing process that involves large moving brushes or sprayers, as the top of my camper has many things mounted on it: three hinged vent covers (one of them a “Fantastic Fan”) along with the refrigerator vent, an antenna, and 7 mounted solar panels with the accompanying wiring.

I’m curious to hear about any experiences other camper owners might be able to share about this.

Thanks very much!
philippo

Welcome to the forums! Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here!

We do a thorough wash and wax once a year. But we will take her through a Blue Beacon between times when she needs it. I think they do a decent job for the cost. I don’t let them do the roof (I don’t trust the high pressure sprayers to not damage things topside, including the roof itself.
We have them do the toad, too.

Just be aware, it’s a crapshoot as to how long it will take and there’s no way to leave the line once you’re in it. We usual budget an hour of our day for the wash.

Also, I have taken my motorhome through a lot of Blue Beacon truck washes and a couple of other brands, and none of the ones I have seen are automatic. The ones I have been to use real human beings with high pressure wash and rinse hoses. They will also use brushes, but they usually ask me if it is OK to use them. I tell them that there are so many leaf and branch scrapes on my paint that a few tiny ones from brushes will not even be noticeable.

And yes, the wash itself is pretty quick, but it does take a very long time to wait in line. I usually plan to use that time to fix myself a sandwich or eat a fast food meal, though you do have to make sure you are continuing to move your vehicle up the line as it moves.

I have never had them cause any damage to my satellite dish, various vent covers, or my skylight. Mostly, the Blue Beacons have something that just lightly sprays water on the top--no one actually gets up there and uses their high pressure hoses. (My map of the US on the side has also stayed put and undamaged for the past couple of years.) Do make sure all vents are closed--ditto for windows!!!!

This don't always rinse it well enough, hence their nickname of "streakin' beacon," but they do a good job of getting bugs and dirt off and even working around my covered electric bike in the back. I sometimes end up washing the windows afterwards by hand if I am feeling fussy that day.

I've heard of them spraying enough water in the refrigerator side vents to damage the electronics. It was suggested that you turn the refer completely off and cover the sensitive parts or the side vent(s) (I have two) with foil, tape or Saran Wrap.

Well, Thanks for all the replies!
My guess is that our local “Truck Wash” does use human-power rather than anything automatic…If I end up using them I will post the story!

With a truck camper I would more likely go to the outside bay of one of the coin op places. Stand back a littlle with the high pressure rinsing.

This depends somewhat on the Truck wash but the Blue Beacon washes I've used seemed to know how to treat an RV Took great care to not mess me up.. Of course it's been a few years and generally quality of workmanship at many places is .... reduced.

I wouldn’t ever use an automatic truck wash. I don’t use automatic wash on my SUV and pickup either. I have used Blue Beacon a number of times though. No brushes on the paint and no RainX are my directions, and they have always done a decent job.

Back
Top Bottom