As of today Ford EV owners can charge at Tesla superchargers…with an adapter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viajeros

IMG_8208.jpegAs of 2025 fords will come native with the Tesla plug. But until then, as of today ford is shipping adapters for free to anyone that wants them. Ford owners can now use any V3 or V4 supercharger (not V2’s). So the Lightning F150 owners will have more and more reliable charging opportunities.

They can use either the Tesla app or the ford app to monitor the charge and will have to pay a slight premium. It’s plug and play so app not needed to start the charge. (Last part added on edit. I wasn’t very clear)

The ford needs an OTA software update but that will be automatic.

Interesting times.

Last edited:
Switching to NACS seems like the right way to go. I think most EV automakers have plans to convert in the nearer future.

We used an adapter for our BMW (which the Tesla charger provided to us, to go from our car which has a CCS charging port, to their charging handle (NACS). I don't remember the premium we paid but we charged the car from ~15% I believe back to 80% and it was cheaper than another fast charger we used to put the same amount of energy in, in Idaho. But this was in podunk, Eastern Washington.

Yet another reason we leased. Not that it will become impossible to charge if the world switches to NACS, but charging is still evolving, and we will need to use an adapter for NACS charger going forward.

How slight?
It’s not clear yet. For the folks using the magic dock superchargers with non teslas it’s around 9 cents per kWh. Or one can get a monthly subscription and pay the same.

But for the non magic dock sites I haven’t seen any info on how it works yet as it goes straight to the persons ford account. I’m sure there will be more info over the next few days.

Ford owners can now use any V3 or V4 supercharger (not V2’s).
What about non-Fords with an adapter, but no Magic Dock? Are those Fords using the Tesla or the CCS-1 protocol?

Are all the Tesla V3 and V4 Superchargers set up for non-Tesla billing already?

BTW, I have this adapter on order. Comes from Canada. But I am not sure if it will be useful or not. Mainly depends on how fast Tesla can get all of their V3s and V4s ready to be CCS-1 compatible.

I am really trying to ask what is making Ford special?

And I am NOT asking about the connector they use. But why can they use the Superchargers, but not Chevy (or my Energica Motorcycles)? And I am also NOT asking about Magic Dock. Still only two locations with Magic Dock in the entire state of CA. None at all in NV. That is what Plugshare still shows.

Perhaps I just found the answer on the Ebay website:

• For Tesla Superchargers, you will need a software update from your car's manufacturer in order to 'Plug & Charge.
Perhaps only Fords have received that update so far.

-Don- Reno, NV

What about non-Fords with an adapter, but no Magic Dock? Are those Fords using the Tesla or the CCS-1 protocol?

Are all the Tesla V3 and V4 Superchargers set up for non-Tesla billing already?

BTW, I have this adapter on order. Comes from Canada. But I am not sure if it will be useful or not. Mainly depends on how fast Tesla can get all of their V3s and V4s ready to be CCS-1 compatible.

I am really trying to ask what is making Ford special?

And I am NOT asking about the connector they use. But why can they use the Superchargers, but not Chevy (or my Energica Motorcycles)? And I am also NOT asking about Magic Dock. Still only two locations with Magic Dock in the entire state of CA. None at all in NV. That is what Plugshare still shows.

Perhaps I just found the answer on the Ebay website:

• For Tesla Superchargers, you will need a software update from your car's manufacturer in order to 'Plug & Charge.
Perhaps only Fords have received that update so far.

-Don- Reno, NV
So sort…and I’m not sure.

Yes only fords are receiving the update at this time, but that is only for plug and play. It can also be enabled in the ford app. How this affects non fords is unclear.

I don’t think they have anyway of knowing what make of adapter is used. It’s a straight thru.

When you get your A2Z let us know how it goes. We have their CCS adapter for our tesla and it works fine.

but that is only for plug and play.
Does that mean they can just plugin and walk away as with Teslas? I would love to have that on all my CCS vehicles.

I changed my Tesla Charging ECU recently for CCS-1 support. See my Tesla charging below just for a test (it all worked perfectly) --but reminds me to ask a question in the Tesla Forum or perhaps you know . . .

On a cold day how you precondition the battery for a CCS charge? Navigation will not do it in my 2018 Tesla with CCS. Does it with your newer model?

My blue Tesla, charging with no adapter, using CCS from a Chargepoint CCS only charger (have you seen that yet up there?):

1709243962942.png

-Don- Reno, NV

I think some of y'all are way too in love with your EV's. Taking pictures of it charging, or just sitting there doing nothing. It's like going to a Navy ship's reunion. After the first hour I've had my fill of sea stories and pictures of their shipmates. ;)

Of course, to be honest, the RAM forum I belong to has guys that talk about their ICE trucks the same way. Wash it every 3rd day, wax it every week. If they get a gravel ding on the bumper there are a dozen of them commiserating with each other as to what aftermarket paint to use and how to buff it out correctly.

Me? I last Saturday I took a hose and a rag to the outside to knock off the dust and bird droppings for the 3rd time in the 11 months I've had it. I also swept and mopped the floor, and wiped down the dash with a damp rag for the 2nd time. It's a truck. :cool:

I’m wondering about the gvwr on EV’s? Time you load the trunk down with adapters, 500’ of 10 gauge extension cord for when you visit granny, a set of how to keep it from losing all it’s charge when it gets cold encyclopedias, blankets, the MRE’s, tent and sleeping bag for when you’re charging at the .025 kwh charger in Two Egg, Florida it seems like it would be sitting down on the rear axle. Do they make a dually Tesla?

I think some of y'all are way too in love with your EV's.
If you owned an EV, perhaps you would be also! :)

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your EV"

Same goes for motorcycles.

(Above, I modified this quote):

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."
- Hunter S. Thompson

-Don- Reno, NV

Taking pictures of it charging,
That's a Plugshare thing for checkins. Sometimes handy for others to find the exact location or whatever. The above photo of my Blue Tesla I got from Plugshare, which you can see here. If you click on the photo, you will see others charging.

While I am charging, I can usually spare a minute to take a photo.

-Don- Reno, NV

you’re charging at the .025 kwh charger
No such thing as a "kwh" charger.

Just plain 150 "KW" at a charger to charge up your 75 "KWH" battery.

Not counting loses in heat and slowdowns at various SOC% that would take one-half hour.

I am not sure if you understand the difference between "KW" and "KWH".

-Don- Auburn, CA

No such thing as a "kwh" charger.

Just plain 150 "KW" at a charger to charge up your 75 "KWH" battery.

Not counting loses in heat and slowdowns at various SOC% that would take one-half hour.

I am not sure if you understand the difference between "KW" and "KWH".

-Don- Auburn, CA
Not only did I not know the difference, I didn’t care.

Does that mean they can just plugin and walk away as with Teslas? I would love to have that on all my CCS vehicles.

I changed my Tesla Charging ECU recently for CCS-1 support. See my Tesla charging below just for a test (it all worked perfectly) --but reminds me to ask a question in the Tesla Forum or perhaps you know . . .

On a cold day how you precondition the battery for a CCS charge? Navigation will not do it in my 2018 Tesla with CCS. Does it with your newer model?

My blue Tesla, charging with no adapter, using CCS from a Chargepoint CCS only charger (have you seen that yet up there?):

View attachment 171512

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes. Plug in and walk away.

To pre-condition to a non tesla fast charger just navigate to the nearest supercharger. Use your phone to navigate to the non tesla DC fast charger if you have to.

To pre-condition to a non tesla fast charger just navigate to the nearest supercharger.
Then I would just go to the Supercharger instead.

BTW, I did post a message asking the same question in the Tesla forum. And I already got a reply that said the same as you. But that would do no good on US-50 in the middle of NV which only has CCS.

I would think this would be a very simple thing to fix with an OTA update. I am surprised it has not been done already.

A manual way to precondition would be best, IMO.

Not a serious issue to me anyway, as I rarely charge my cars on the road. But I still want to be able to.

"Beter to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it."

-Don- Reno, NV

Then I would just go to the Supercharger instead.

BTW, I did post a message asking the same question in the Tesla forum. And I already got a reply that said the same as you. But that would do no good on US-50 in the middle of NV which only has CCS.

I would think this would be a very simple thing to fix with an OTA update. I am surprised it has not been done already.

A manual way to precondition would be best, IMO.

Not a serious issue to me anyway, as I rarely charge my cars on the road. But I still want to be able to.

"Beter to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it."

-Don- Reno, NV
Yah I hear ya. But keep in mind you can navigate to a supercharger an hour away and it still might work if it’s cold enough. It’s always worked for us.

Cheers.

Yah I hear ya. But keep in mind you can navigate to a supercharger an hour away and it still might work if it’s bold enough. It’s always worked for us.
US 50 would be more than an hour away from any superchargers, IIRC. But Hwy 50 has MANY CCS chargers. Perhaps your car works differently or because it's colder there. I normally see the "battery reconditioning" message when I get a few minutes away from a Supercharger, but I have only used it a couple of times.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947
Back
Top Bottom