As of today Ford EV owners can charge at Tesla superchargers…with an adapter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
US 50 would be more than an hour away from any superchargers, IIRC. But Hwy 50 has MANY CCS chargers. Perhaps your car works differently or because it's colder there. I normally see the "battery reconditioning" message when I get a few minutes away from a Supercharger, but I have only used it a couple of times.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yah. It depends on the cold Don. On our last winter trip to Vancouver the pre-conditioning kicked in at least an hour before. (Minus 27). Pulled into the supercharger hooked up and it pinned at 254 kw. (18 percent ish). Horrible weather. Got our coffee and giblets and back on the road. Long trip, slow roads although some of the truckers didn’t seem to think so. 😱

Yes. Plug in and walk away.

To pre-condition to a non tesla fast charger just navigate to the nearest supercharger. Use your phone to navigate to the non tesla DC fast charger if you have to.
There is a way!. . . kinda. . . . It's called a "S3XY commander plug."

Plugs into your canbus and you can inject the "precondition the battery" command. But an OTA update sure would be easier than:

Installation can be a bit different for different years and model Teslas.
1709273640491.png
-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
There is a way!. . . kinda. . . . It's called a "S3XY commander plug."

Plugs into your canbus and you can inject the "precondition the battery" command. But an OTA update sure would be easier than:

Installation can be a bit different for different years and model Teslas.
View attachment 171518
-Don- Reno, NV
Yah. There is a YouTube guy that uses something called “buttons” as wel. It’s never been an issue for us though. We’ll keep it simple.

You put a lot more effort into that than I do with my EVS. I only try to get the road salt off the car after a drive between here and Auburn after it has been snowing.

-Don- Reno, NV
I keep the inside clean because I have to sit in there. The outside gets a mopping whenever I have the time and it's not too cold or hot.

I'm confused.

Last night I watched an episode of JerryRigEverything where he stated Tesla "just" allowed Fords and Non-Tesla's to charge at their networks. I don't think that's entirely true since we charged our non-Tesla at a Tesla station back in November...

So, is it FORD that enabled their cars to charge there? Because CCS-NACS adapters have already been available on Tesla Chargers?

What am I missing?

I'm confused.

Last night I watched an episode of JerryRigEverything where he stated Tesla "just" allowed Fords and Non-Tesla's to charge at their networks. I don't think that's entirely true since we charged our non-Tesla at a Tesla station back in November...

So, is it FORD that enabled their cars to charge there? Because CCS-NACS adapters have already been available on Tesla Chargers?

What am I missing?
A couple of things. No Magic Dock, unlike when you charged. And no adapter of any type needed.

The other was the Ford plugged in just like a Tesla without having to activate the charger. The billing was automatic, just as with Tesla. IOW, the Tesla Supercharger could read the Ford's VIN number and knew the owner to bill with an autopayment.

-Don- Reno, NV

My Tesla inside is still full of leaves from my Auburn place. I am not sure how they all got inside, perhaps I forgot to close a window.

-Don- Reno, NV
Even way out here in the sticks, I keep my truck locked but I have forgotten to roll up my window a few times. A couple times in the past 10 years there have been escapees from the local "boys ranch". When that happens, several of the staff drive these back roads and tell all the residents that it happened and to keep your doors and vehicles locked.

The last time was about 2 years ago, and the kid was seen across the valley from us apparently carrying a pistol. A couple hours later, I stumbled upon him out behind my pumphouse. He didn't have a gun, but I did, and I put him on the ground and called the local gendarme who showed up tout de suite and carted him off.

It’s never been an issue for us though.
I am surprised, because by your photos, you're using CCS a lot more than Tesla Superchargers. But perhaps that has all been in the summer when you travel the most.

I figure when we are comfy, so is the EV battery, so then no battery pre-conditioning is necessary.

-Don- Reno, NV

I better clear up what I said:

I assume 2025 Ford EVs will have the NACS, so no adapter will be necessary on those.

Older Fords will need the adapter as they will still have the CCS.

-Don- Reno, NV
Correct.

I am surprised, because by your photos, you're using CCS a lot more than Tesla Superchargers. But perhaps that has all been in the summer when you travel the most.

I figure when we are comfy, so is the EV battery, so then no battery pre-conditioning is necessary.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yah. But you nailed it. In summer when camping we use non Tedla charging as

1. There are more trailer friendly stalls
2. They are slower (we can take a proper lunch break without shovelling down our food)
3. We travel more off the beaten trail routes where there are less tesla superchargers. Having said that this one seems to be going away as tesla has been. Installing new locations on a lot of the summer routes we take.

In winter all the routes we take are all populated by lots of superchargers.

Hope that helps.

Heads up. Rivian owners just got notified of the same thing ford owners did. Except starting next month. Progress.

@Viajeros

Today, I tried to see if I could charge my Energica Experia motorcycle here in Sparks at the V4 Tesla Supercharger with a Tesla SC to CCS1 adapter. It wouldn't do a thing and the Tesla App told me the closest non-Tesla Supercharger is the one in Placerville, CA (with Magic Dock).

But that will not be true for Ford, of course. I assume my adapter would have worked for a Ford even without using the Tesla APP. IOW, it needs to see a Ford or Telsa VIN number to work--at least for now.

Notice my comment under Plugshare above. I listed it as a comment so it will not show up as a no-charge as I didn't expect it to work yet for anything non-Tesla other than Ford. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

But I wonder when it will. Or perhaps it will always need VIN numbers. If that's the case, I hope to be able to add my CCS motorcycle VINs. That will even be better if I don't need to use the APP, which is a hassle, IMO.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom