Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chameleonxanth said:
Or Christopher Moore's, "A Dirty Job." 
The narrator does a wonderful job with the audio version, as well.
About wonderful audiobooks, currently listening HP series with Stephen Fry as a narrator.

Thanks for the books! I have expanded my list of books that I will read during my vacation !! If you are interested, I can share with you all my list of books.

Sta12 said:
Thanks for the books! I have expanded my list of books that I will read during my vacation !! If you are interested, I can share with you all my list of books.
Yes please.  I like fiction and really like crime stuff.

For those who have visited southeastern AZ you may like the JA Jance Joanna Brady series. The main character is sheriff of Cochise County and the books are set in that area.

Alan Furst Night Soldiers series of spy thrillers are excellent also. A few have been basis of films.

I like the CJ Box books. They are mainly based in Wyoming and about a game warden called Joe Pickett who gets involved in various crimes.  We actually visited Saddlestring the town in the books, which isnt a town.

Also like Robert Crais his novels are about a PI called Elvis Cole and his sidekick called Joe Pike. Quite humorous.

Future fiction crime books by ?? Writing as J D Robb or anything else by  this excellent writer. David Drake, Heinlein, et al.

As for media, We love our Kindle Paperwhites; I currently have over 400 books on mine and Tara is around 300. We do both use my account although we have different interests in several areas (I'm not much for witches or dragons). When we recently sold our home we abandoned thousands of books many of which I find myself replacing now. Not gonna happen again!

Ernie

jackiemac said:
I like the CJ Box books. They are mainly based in Wyoming and about a game warden called Joe Pickett who gets involved in various crimes.  We actually visited Saddlestring the town in the books, which isnt a town.

Also like Robert Crais his novels are about a PI called Elvis Cole and his sidekick called Joe Pike. Quite humorous.
X2 for Crais. Will try Joe Picket. Is it anything like Longmire?

Dragginourbedaround said:
I believe so. The last book - "The Disappeared" was disappointing though (a bit lazy and samey) but all of his others, even non Joe Pickett are good.

Dragginourbedaround said:
I really liked the early Joe Pickett novels, but the last two were not enjoyable at all. He used cardboard cutout villains instead of developing characters, and they were both very tedious. It sometimes happens when a series has run its course, and the author just keeps pushing. Kind of like Nevada Barr and her NPS books. The first books were very good, but then she moved deep into sadism, and the books just didn?t need that.

I love the Longmire books though. They are sooooo much better than the TV show. We went to Longmire Days in Wyoming once a few years back. I was very disappointed he didn?t show up. Instead it was the television actors, though the local natives did a few really outstanding presentations.

For a more southwestern feel, ready any of the Tony Hillerman books. They are based in the Navajo/Hopi territory of New Mexico and Arizon. Don?t look at the ones his daughter wrote not nearly as good.

I?ve read all of Hillerman?s Navajo books and loved the relationship of Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. Haven?t read any since he passed away. Miss his stories.

Ah, where do we start?  Anne McCaffrey, JD Robb, Sue Grafton, Clive Cussler, Diana Gabaldon, Lee Childs, Jean Auel, John Grisham, Heinlein...

Lately, I've been getting into Elmore Leonard.  Had never heard of him until I read his name in a Sue Grafton book.  I was really surprised to find that he's written books that were turned into several of my favorite TV shows or movies.

Starting on re-reading Stieg Larsson's series next.

Anyone besides me re-read stuff on a regular basis? 

We use our Kindle Touch's daily and each have several hundred books on file.  My latest fave is Robert Dugoni and his Tracy Crosswhite series - a female homicide detective working believable cases and all seem to have a twist that keeps the reader guessing. 
Wife likes the Amish books (several series) and we both have read more than once an extensive series about a North Dakota immigrant family - author Lauraine Snelling.  We lived within just a few miles of where her stories are set and she has even visited the area several times and has an enthusiastic following.
And of course there is John Grishams and lots of biographies.  Reading is about the most exciting thing I do anymore.......LOL

Bill

Old_Crow said:
Ah yes.  I give some series time to fade in my memory (not a tough thing these days) and then enjoy the whole series again.  Many times I see numerous things I did not see the first time.

Bill

Ernie n Tara said:
Future fiction crime books by ?? Writing as J D Robb or anything else by  this excellent writer. David Drake, Heinlein, et al.

As for media, We love our Kindle Paperwhites; I currently have over 400 books on mine and Tara is around 300. We do both use my account although we have different interests in several areas (I'm not much for witches or dragons). When we recently sold our home we abandoned thousands of books many of which I find myself replacing now. Not gonna happen again!

Ernie

JD Robb is really Nora Roberts, Ernie.  I've read most of the "In Death" series, and even a couple of the books she's written under her real name.  The ones she writes as NR are more romance like than I usually care for, although there was one I don't remember the title to about a female sheriff's deputy in someplace cold like Minnesota or North Dakota that was pretty good.

Old_Crow said:
Ah, where do we start?  Anne McCaffrey, JD Robb, Sue Grafton, Clive Cussler, Diana Gabaldon, Lee Childs, Jean Auel, John Grisham, Heinlein...

Lately, I've been getting into Elmore Leonard.  Had never heard of him until I read his name in a Sue Grafton book.  I was really surprised to find that he's written books that were turned into several of my favorite TV shows or movies.

Starting on re-reading Stieg Larsson's series next.

Anyone besides me re-read stuff on a regular basis?

I left out Lee Childs and John Grisham. We read every day. We don?t spend much money on books since we normally buy them at the Goodwill. I guess you could say we rent them since once read they are donated back to the Goodwill. And yes, once we find authors we like we tend to look for those books. When we lived in the UK my drive to work was about 30 minutes. I checked out books on tape for the drive. The problem with books on tape is often when I arrived at my destination I would have to wait awhile to hear what was going to happen next.

Oldgator73 said:
I left out Lee Childs and John Grisham. We read every day. We don?t spend much money on books since we normally buy them at the Goodwill. I guess you could say we rent them since once read they are donated back to the Goodwill. And yes, once we find authors we like we tend to look for those books. When we lived in the UK my drive to work was about 30 minutes. I checked out books on tape for the drive. The problem with books on tape is often when I arrived at my destination I would have to wait awhile to hear what was going to happen next.
I love audiobooks. I listened to them on my commute when I was working, and I listen to them now waiting for appointments, and when I sew. I have small folding Bluetooth headphones (can?t use ear buds) and a great portable Bose Bluetooth speaker. We also listen to them in the car through Bluetooth. The coach doesn?t have good speakers, so I generally use the Bose when driving it. I have been an Audible.com subscriber since not long after they started, 2004 or 2006. I have hundreds of audiobooks in my library, mostly mysteries and historical books.

Back
Top Bottom